Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
clutch/replacement causes transmission problems Forums > > clutch/replacement causes transmission problems clutch/replacement causes transmission problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 01-12-2011, 12:27 PM
bfalvey

Default clutch/replacement causes transmission problems

Hi folks:
I recently had a clutch replacement done on my 1993 (original owner) SE V6 4x4. Now the truck will not stay in third gear; you have to hold the shift lever all the way forward until the clutch is released (used to be I could just shift to 3rd and not worry about holding the shifter in place). To top it off, it also comes out of 3rd while driving (a few small bumps in the road will cause the truck to go from 3rd to neutral). Also does it in 1st (but not near as often). Now the shop claims the replacement clutch has nothing to do with the vehicle popping out of gear (yes, I know, technically true but...). I maintain that the tranny removal/replacement must've done something to the shifting. The vehicle shifted like a champ prior to this clutch replacement with no indication of it's current inability to stay in gear. I'd like to know if anyone has any ideas as to what might've occurred to all of a sudden cause this truck to be damn near unsafe to drive.
Thanks
Old 01-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1985 300ZX

If they drained the tranny oil and filled with something other than GL-4 it could cause the syncros to not operate properly. Nisan syncros are brass and need a special grade oil to operate properly. I always use Redline synthetic GL-4 and never have a problem. Check with the people who did the clutch and see what oil they filled the tranny with.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:54 PM
2015 Rogue

Nissan states to only use 75w85 in their manual transmission. one of the side effects of using different weight fluids is third gear grind. Put the proper fluid in it and see if it shifts properly. I bet they used 80w90.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:38 AM
bfalvey

Default Thanks

MadMax3 & mpe235:
Thanks for the reply-I'm not familiar with GL-4 but will do some checking. I hope the problem is as simple as that; I'll change the tranny oil this weekend at least to the Nissan recommendations and see what happens. Again, thanks for the replies
Old 01-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Mattathesis

Be very careful in your selection of gear oil you purchase. As mentioned above by the other respondents, one can easily damage the transmission by using an improper oil. Almost all gear oils you will run across are GL5 and not a true GL4. Just because the person at the local parts store says the oil should work fine, unless you know for sure, don't buy it. Also, if you know you used the proper oil when you added to or changed the oil in a manual transmission and the transmission becomes difficult or hard to shift, more often than not the problem is due to too much oil in the transmission. It doesn't take much to cause shifting issues.

Tags
clutch or replacement, problems, transmission