Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Timing belt rattle (somewhat long post) Forums > > Timing belt rattle (somewhat long post) Timing belt rattle (somewhat long post)
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 01-09-2011, 07:58 AM
Mattathesis

Default Timing belt rattle (somewhat long post)

I am hoping someone can possibly help me in determining what maybe causing a loud metalic rattling noise. The only time the rattle is heard is when deaccelerating while the truck is in gear. While deaccelerating in gear, the rattle starts only once the rpm's have fallen somewhere below 2500 and will continue until the clutch is disengaged. At which point the rattle stops. The rattle is never heard while deacelerating in 5th gear. It is most noticable when coasting to a stop in 3rd gear or 4th gear near the slowest one would drive in respect to what gear you are in. Once again, only while slowly coastingwith clutch engaged. I do know that the throwout bearing is worn out as upshifts are somewhat stiff during times of hard acceleration. Plus you can feel the bearing with the clutch pedal depressed. At times the rattle sounds like it is coming from the clutch housing. Othertimes from underneath or slightly to the rear or right of the driver seat. I thought it might be the center bearing as the two outer metal rings that surround the bearing were loose in the CB mouting bracket. However, I got rid of the excess play between the mount and rings and the rattle continues. I have read posts regarding loose timing belts rattling. However, I have not been able to read when or at what point the timing belt will begin to rattle. Such as engine rpms or load. My truck currently has 147K miles on it. The timing belt and tensioner were replaced at 75K. So, my question is am I hearing a loose T-belt or ?
Old 01-09-2011, 10:42 AM
Enthusiast
2010 Frontier Crew Cab
2007 Pathfinder

Even though you got the play out of the center bearing doesn't mean the bearing itself is good.
If bad it puts drag on the driveline.

Clint
Old 01-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Mattathesis

The bearing itself is still okay. Even though it's days are numbered. The rubber boot that allows the bearing itself to float is shot. However, because of the cracks in the boot, the two metal rings that surround the boot would rattle in the CB mounting braket. Which then widened the grooves in the bracket that the rings fit into. Although, I did not repair the rubber boot, the play that developed between the bracket and the metal rings was taken up by reconditioning the bracket somewhat and then adding a 1 inch wide strip of very thin EVA foam sheet. Spray adhesed to the inside diameter of the mounting bracket.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Enthusiast
2010 Frontier Crew Cab
2007 Pathfinder

I've seen pictures of guys who removed the rubber and cut short pieces of rubber hose and put them in between the bearing and bracket all the way around. They used zip ties to hold the hose in place. It's creative until a new bearing can be had. I just put a new bearing and u-joints in my brother in laws 2003 Frontier.

Clint
Old 01-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Enthusiast
2010 Frontier Crew Cab
2007 Pathfinder

Isolating sounds alone is difficult.

Clint
Old 01-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Mattathesis

Yeah it is.. Dealerships hate doing it as well because you can spend hours trying to isolate the problem and never get it resolved. I figure my rattle is one of three things. Either something loose or broken in the clutch or clutch housing. A worn CB. Or, the new timing belt and/or tensioner starting to crap out in only 75K miles of use. I've gone thru everything else like heat shields, cables, lines, ect. Even going as far as taking apart the exhaust system between the precats and the secondary cats to see if a broken chunk of the precats catalyst may have gotten lodged somewhere between the cats. I'm beginning to lean towards T-belt. Perhaps I'm stuck in the denial stage cause I would rather not have to deal with that right now. I wonder if the 90K miles I put on it since last September has anything to do with why things seem to be wearing out so fast. lol

Last edited by Mattathesis; 01-09-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Enthusiast
2000 Frontier Crew Cab

Let Me add one more to the mix your problem sounds similar to one my son had right before we put a Clutch,Throw Out Bearing and PILOT BEARING. His pilot bearing came out in pieces and that is where the rattle came from. He could lay his foot on the clutch pedal and apply slight pressure and make the noise go away. After we installed new Clutch components the noise left.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Enthusiast
2010 Frontier Crew Cab
2007 Pathfinder

Many people don't (they should) replace the pilot bearing when doing a clutch, possibly in this case too?

Clint
Old 01-13-2011, 11:07 PM
Mattathesis

Oh yeah..totally agree. I mean unless dropping the transmission is your idea of a fun day, replace and/or resurface everything. Including oil seals. As far as my rattle issue goes, mine sounds like it's coming from inside a tin can. It has that hollow metal sound to it. I'd swear it sounds like something loose in the exhaust system or a loose heat shield. But I've ruled those out after disassembling the exhaust system and thoroughly checking the underside of the truck numerous times.

Tags
belt, long, post, rattle, timing