Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
strong carbon monoxide smell after idling 4-5 mins Forums > > strong carbon monoxide smell after idling 4-5 mins strong carbon monoxide smell after idling 4-5 mins
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 12-29-2010, 05:31 AM
2000 Frontier Crew Cab

Default strong carbon monoxide smell after idling 4-5 mins

I have a 2000 Frontier Crewcab with 118,000 miles and am the original owner; after having driven for 30-45 mins, and then idling (for example, while at an ATM) with no vehicle in front of me, there is a strong carbon monoxide smell that comes through my vents. It's almost like a diesel smell. Does anyone know what could possibly be burning as the source of this smell? I will be selling this vehicle to my nephew in the coming months and would like some insight if possible! Thank you very much.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:25 PM
2015 Rogue

You can't smell carbon monoxide. It is an odorless gas. What you are probably smelling is an exhaust odor from a cracked exhaust manifold.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:50 AM
2000 Frontier Crew Cab

thank you for the information. Is this usually something that can be remedied with a weld at a trustworthy muffler shop? The vehicle has never been driven outside of Florida; is this something that is common for this model year with like mileage? Thank you again.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:23 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoboo081802 View Post
thank you for the information. Is this usually something that can be remedied with a weld at a trustworthy muffler shop? The vehicle has never been driven outside of Florida; is this something that is common for this model year with like mileage? Thank you again.
The exhaust manifold would have to be replaced to resolve the issue. It is pretty common on that vehicle. Usually it is the passenger side.

Tags
carbon, idling, mins, monoxide, smell, strong