Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Oil pressure drop (slightly long post) Forums > > Oil pressure drop (slightly long post) Oil pressure drop (slightly long post)
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 10-31-2010, 11:49 AM
Mattathesis

Default Oil pressure drop (slightly long post)

I have an Auto Meter mechanical oil pressure guage installed in my 04'. When the engine comes up to normal operating temp. rpms just slightly above 2K, I would expect to see oil psi at or around 65 psi. This is using Mobil 1 full syn 5w30 ext. wear and a Fram 6X ext. guard filter. My truck has over 140K miles on it and has recently began consuming more and more oil. Perhaps 1 qt. every 2000 to 2500 miles. I was told that use of full syn oils in engines with more then 75K can cause excessive oil consumtion due to the syns. being more slippery then conv. oil. (this is what I have been told) Due to the age and wear of the engines oil seals, the syn oil (because of it's increased slipperiness) is able to get past various oil seals (like valve seals) and can cause excessive oil loss. I also have been driving around with bad precats. Unaware that bad cats can lead to premature engine failure as they deteriorate. Out of concern my oil loss maybe from bad precats and ring wear and not so much seal wear, I decided to change my oil and filter every 2000 miles. Also, upon the recommendationsby some ASI cert. mechanic friends, (though possibly against my better judgement) I added about 10 oz. of Restore high mileage engine stuff when I did my last oil change. I also switched to syn. blends to save a bit of money as well as switched to a Mobil 1 oil filter. The Mobil 1 filters might not have an anti-drain back valve (do the VG33 engines need a anti-drain back valve) but they do offer 99% single pass particle removal efficiency. Right away my oil psi at normal temp and above 2K rpm is about 10 to 15 psi. lower then it used to be. What was 65 psi on the freeway is now 50 psi. Also, max oil pressure won't go above 60 psi. Max oil psi regardless of rpm or eng. temp. used to be about 80 psi.
Because I made three very distinct changes to my oil routine, I am uncertain if the drop in oil pressure might be due to the change in filter, I know that the oil pre. relief valve is built into the filter. Or, due to switching to a syn blend. Or, even still from the addtion of those.. itsy bitsy tiny microscopic Restore mechanics..."so small they can't be seen", swimming around working all their proprietry "oil magic". (Sorry for my cynicism, I'm not much of a believer in oil additives) I added about 6 to 8 oz. of 15w50wt to see if the oil pressure would increase.. it did raise it by 2 or 3 psi. Should I be concerned about the drop in oil pressure? 10 to 15 psi seems a significant drop.

Tags
drop, long, oil, post, pressure, slightly