Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
A/C acuator, clicking sound in dash Forums > > A/C acuator, clicking sound in dash A/C acuator, clicking sound in dash
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 09-23-2010, 03:14 PM
jbabybulldog

Default A/C acuator, clicking sound in dash

I have an 05 Nissan Frontier and it's making a clicking sound inside the dash for 5-15 seconds when I turn on and off the vehicle. I took it in and they told me it was the a/c air door actuator, but wanted over $450 to fix and the part is like $40 is this something that's pretty easy to fix myself with taking just a few passenger and glove compartment panels off? any one have a site to show info/diagram in regards to the fix. Thanks.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:36 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

Mine does the same thing. It's the blend door actuator but i have not yet tryed to fix yet.Have you looked at the service manual at this site yet?
Old 09-28-2010, 05:47 AM
jbabybulldog

Yeah I actually dropped the glove compartment and can fully see the part causing the issue, but it can't be accessed with out taking apart literally the whole dash, instrument panel and air bags. Unfortunately there all connected to one long underneath dash piece that would need to be removed.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:41 PM
2005 Frontier Crew Cab

Default Clicking under right side of dash

I have a 2005 Nissan frontier and have the same problem mentioned - clicking under right side of dash board, keeps clicking after ignition is turned off, like a capacitor discharging. I removed upper and lower glove compartments but can't see exactly where noice is coming from - sounds like it is inside the heater/AC unit, which is a big black housing that runs the length of the dash board.....any help?
Old 03-01-2013, 05:06 PM
2005 Frontier Crew Cab

Default 2005 frontier blend door actuator

I located the clicking actuator on my 2005 frontier but can't seem to get to it without taking out the heater/a/c unit. The actuator is located under dash behind the heater a/c unit. Does anyone know of a way to get to the actuator without taking out the heater a/c unit? The bad one is located above the heater blower motor but behind the housing.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:05 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier King Cab
1998 Pathfinder
1998 Frontier

Download the service manual first.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:21 AM
2005 Frontier King Cab
2005 Altima Sedan

Service manual shows only dashboard removal in the sub-categories (unless I'm missing something...). I'm having the same problem with my '05 Frontier and I'm wondering if this gremlin is allowed to continue, will it lead to bigger problems down the road?
Old 09-09-2013, 11:30 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Frontier King Cab
2005 Frontier LE King Cab

I can tell you from the personal experience of replacing my heater core, there is very little access to anything installed on the Heater and cooling Unit assy. If the problem is just the mode door you just have to remove the lower dash see IP 10 in the SM. From there you can access the mode door motor. If its the air intake motor you have to disamble the entire dash to get at the unit. If you have the skills, start with the dash removals. You may want to reconsider the $450 that sounds pretty reasonable to me
Old 05-12-2017, 09:02 AM
2005 Pathfinder

Default Clicking noise quick (fix?) for inside/outside air door

Well, it's really not a fix but the noise stopped. This applies only to the case where the door click occurs when choosing outside air. I figured that the motor stops electronically when it draws high current for a few seconds such as when the door shuts. This puts a lot of pressure on the gears and mine now clicks because the gears are worn on the spot where it closes for outside air (door down horizontal). The clicking is the gears slipping over each ridge and this will cause further wear. So I put a screw in the front housing to keep the door from closing all the way. Now I have a new spot to wear down and considering the first lasted 208,000 miles, this should last awhile. Granted, since the door now no longer shuts all the way I get some inside air mixed in with the outdoor air. No problem for me, not since I can still close the outside air (and other people's exhaust) all the way.

It's an easy procedure, make sure the air door is set for inside air (door vertical) and take out the bottom glove compartment door.

Refer to the picture (it's was upside down when I previewed it, the slot for filter should be on bottom):
Find a medium sized screw and drill a hole a bit smaller than normal for a tight fit, and screw in the screw. I used the blue screw. I also pulled out the first filter but I don't think you have to. I drilled three other places trying for the best spot and I later taped up those holes.

Now the screw blocks the door from going all the way to the worn spot.

Works for me so far. If the clicking comes back, I'll remove this post.

A month and a half later, still works great!
Attached Thumbnails
A/C acuator, clicking sound in dash-20170512_114830-1-jpg  

Last edited by willyag; 06-26-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:00 PM
2006 Frontier

I've had the same clicking noise for quite sometime. dont have the money to have it fixed. After a few YouTube tutorials, I used a zip tie to keep the actuator door from closing completely. No more noise!! Obviously just a bandaid fix but I'm ok with it... For now.

Tags
a or c, actuator, acuator, clicking, dash, noise, sound