Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Install Harness for 7 pin trailer and electric brake control Forums > > Install Harness for 7 pin trailer and electric brake control Install Harness for 7 pin trailer and electric brake control
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 09-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Frontier King Cab
2005 Frontier LE King Cab

I guess we should all note that you are working on a Pathfinder and not a Frontier, right?
Old 09-06-2012, 05:11 PM
2012 Pathfinder

Absolutely. It is a 2012 Pathfinder. The module under the hood was the answer
Old 08-18-2016, 09:07 PM
2008 Frontier Crew Cab

I've got a 2008 Nissan Frontier 4 door crew cab. Purchased Used. but love the truck and going to yellowstone pulling a 24ft camper in a few weeks. I noticed that the "12V" constant power on the 7pin connector for the camper was not working. (note: it's at 1'oclock on the connector). I've read so much on the internet and on this form about needing a "extra" brown relay for the 12V power to be working. Well, all of the pictures and things i've read is not the same that I have. I've included the photo's of the front and back fuse boxes under the hood (on side of the battery). the front fuse box has 4 relays on it but no extra mounting or wires for more relays. there are a few markings on the fuse layouts (see photo's) that talk about trailer / tow... i've check all of those.. and are good... i've not checked the "BROWN" relay in the front fuse box... could it be bad?... I look forward to your guidance...
thanks
steve
Install Harness for 7 pin trailer and electric brake control-front-fusebox-jpg

Install Harness for 7 pin trailer and electric brake control-back-fusebox-view-jpg

Install Harness for 7 pin trailer and electric brake control-back-fusebox-view2-jpg

Install Harness for 7 pin trailer and electric brake control-back-fusebox-layout-jpg
Old 08-19-2016, 06:37 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier King Cab
1998 Pathfinder
1998 Frontier

How's that "Trailer Tow" fuse in picture #4 ?

Might be easier to run a new battery back from the battery; don't know why you'd need a relay, would figure a circuit breaker or in-line fuse for that circuit.

I've run a new wire from battery to tow connector for a horse trailer (with a circuit breaker in-line) for horse trailer brakes on a Suburban years ago.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:02 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Yeah, but your Suburban years ago probably didn't have a Body Control Module nor an Intelligent Powertrain Distribution Module.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:17 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier King Cab
1998 Pathfinder
1998 Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj999smj View Post
Yeah, but your Suburban years ago probably didn't have a Body Control Module nor an Intelligent Powertrain Distribution Module.

Very likely - I don't have any idea what those items even are !!! Those were 1988 and 1994 Suburbans. I know there's an aftermarket electric brake controller in the 2005 Yukon.

Hopefully the more modern vehicles have all that built into the ECU/computer, if that's what you're saying...
Old 08-26-2016, 08:02 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

The BCM is an ECU for the body electrical systems, i.e. wipers, lighting, etc. The IPDM is essentially a fuse/relay box with an internal logic module. Both of them communicate with other control units, including the ECM, via a CAN system (Controlled Area Networking) utilizing two twisted wires that allow all of the ECU's to communicate with each other. Like any technology, it has its benefits and it has its downfalls, namely the difficulty to work on your own vehicle unless you have a costly scan tool.

Tags
brake, control, electric, harness, install, pin, trailer