Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Locking Up Items in Bed... Forums > > Locking Up Items in Bed... Locking Up Items in Bed...
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 04-07-2010, 03:39 PM
willowdog

Default Locking Up Items in Bed...

Hi,

I'm a new Frontier owner. Third day of owning the truck and someone steals the grill out of the back at a Warriors game. Bummer. The cleats that came with the truck are no help because even if I had cabled the grill to the cleat, they would have just removed the cleat.

My question is, are there adjustable cleats available that are lockable? I guess I could just put in some that are bolted in but adjustability would be nice.

Thanks,
Bruce
Old 04-08-2010, 02:49 PM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

None that you can get from nissan and i know of no aftermarket item that will work.Maybe someone else will chime in with some input.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Boomer

In my 2007, I installed the bolt in tie downs under the Utilitrack. After chasing the threads (IMPORTANT) in the holes in the bed, I installed the bolts with Loctite. Now I can use thick metal cables and pass a padlock through these tie downs. Solved my problems with security. Any Nissan dealer can order these tie downs.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:02 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

I did forget to mentions that there are small stops that are placed at the ends of the rails and are bolted down.This prevents the cleats from being slid down and removed. This is an Nissan item and i will try to get you the part number.I was unable to locate a part #. My 05 came with 4 of the blocks/locks.

Last edited by tech22; 04-09-2010 at 03:31 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:17 AM
Boomer

Yes but... the cleats are still removable as you just have to unscrew the knobs and their screws! The stops keep folks from easily removing the bed extender holders and the bed divider. But even the stops are removable with a wrench. That is why I bought the bolt in tie downs and installed them with Loctitie. Even so, a determined thief will find a way. Anyone with a LARGE bolt cutters can cut through cable, padlocks, etc. All the bolt in tie downs do is to make it harder for the casual walk by thief. Best bet...lock it in nthe cab with a cover over it.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:10 AM
willowdog

I saw the stops, you only get two which is not enough to keep the cleats from being removed. Boomer, it sounds like you installed permanent loops. Doesn't this get in the way of other things in the bed or are they recessed?
Old 04-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Boomer

No, the Nissan tie downs that bolt on are used in trucks without Utilitrak. They only stick out bout and inch and have never caused me a problem. I've locked big items to them with vinyl covered high tensile cable at the beach, etc and never had anything taken as a result. BTW, I got four of those little stops when I bought my truck. I hyave them all in place as I keep the bed extender side parts in all the time.

Tags
bed, cleat, lock