Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Knock sensor location? Forums > > Knock sensor location? Knock sensor location?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 09-05-2011, 08:33 AM
steveomedia

I've got a 2000 Frontier 6 Cyl Two Wheel Drive. Engine ran rough like it was running out of gas. Replaced fuel filter. Problem persisted. Friend hooked up his hand held diagnostic meter and it came back with Knock Sensor bad. Tried to reset it but it was completely fried. I got a knock sensor off E-Bay for 17.00 and now I am looking for the wire harness so I can do a splice/relocation. These harnesses are hard to find. Does anyone know the polarity of the two wires that connect to the knock sensor? My email is [email protected]
Old 11-15-2011, 08:14 AM
vanhendu

Default Help

Im at my witts end, proud owner of a 03 xterra Super Charged. Vehicle starts fine and runs for a few minutes (do feel a slight vibration, almost like a bad idler pulley), than it runs rough briefly and dies. I see several posts indication that the the knock-sensor will not completly kill the engine (does that apply to SC engines) but mine stalls out and will not restart for several hours. I was thinking the problem was a bad plug wire jumping spark when the vehicle warms up, but a simple tune-up doesn't look so simple. any past experience would be greatly appreciated...thanks
Old 12-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Dan72087

I have a 2001 xterra 3.3, 6 cyl. 4wd auto, and the ses light just came on so i took it to the advanced auto parts and they said its the knock sensor. The car shifts into second gear kinda hard when the temp gauge is still cold, once it warms up it shifts fine, other that that the car runs fine. I'm wondering if this is something I need to address right away or can it wait awhile. Just wanting to know because don't have the extra money right now.

Thanks
Old 01-07-2012, 04:04 PM
djofraleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd View Post
I own a 2000 Frontier with a 3.3L V6 engine. It is showing a knock sensor failure code. ...
I'm having the same code, X2, for my 2002 X-Terra.
Of cause, the book says: -
- Knock sensor circuit short to ground
- Knock sensor circuit short to power
- Knock sensor circuit open
- Faulty knock sensor
- Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)

Which all means to me to let a "thinking" mechanic, not a parts replacer, do the job. I've changed plugs, wires and got rid of the random miss code ($400). I now have a P1143 'heated oxygen sensor' going. Intake leak?
Good luck to us all on this sinking sensor ship
Old 03-05-2012, 07:37 AM
2003 Xterra
2003 2003 Nissan Xterra

I posted on another thread about this same problem (or should I say same code reading). Want to thank all of you guys for some valuable input. I am going to do some checking around and see if I can negotiate a price with a mechanic to take off the IM and replace the gaskets when he puts it back. By the way, I got a Napa KS for about $85. Autozone quoted my wife $121.99. I have always been happy with NAPA parts. Just saying. Thanks again everyone!
Old 08-14-2012, 05:48 PM
2003 Frontier

Default helpful advice knock sensor price

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSa View Post
I posted on another thread about this same problem (or should I say same code reading). Want to thank all of you guys for some valuable input. I am going to do some checking around and see if I can negotiate a price with a mechanic to take off the IM and replace the gaskets when he puts it back. By the way, I got a Napa KS for about $85. Autozone quoted my wife $121.99. I have always been happy with NAPA parts. Just saying. Thanks again everyone!
I found the knock sensor for 84.00 at bap geon nippondenso
Old 11-20-2012, 09:32 AM
2000 Frontier Crew Cab
2004 Durango Hemi

Ran into this on my father in laws 2000 2WD Frontier 3.3L V6.... Just seems that it is one thing after another after it hit 100,000 miles (is now at 111K miles).

I wrote this a few days ago and used it on this Nissan:
VIN decoding: Bluetooth OBDII scanner

It came back with P0325 Knock Sensor. So I cleared the code and drove it around for half an hour to see if the code would come back, and any other codes. Sure enough the knock sensor code came back within minutes, and eventually another code for the O2 sensor (P0141). The 02 readings seem to drop out at random, so I suspect that the oxygen sensor is causing a temporary retiming, thus causing the knock sensor code.

I ordered a knock sensor anyways ($35 shipped from rockauto.com), and likely will order the o2 sensor (around the same price range from rockauto)... although now the question will be WHICH one as it appears there are 4 (upper left and right, lower left and right). Luckily this app has the option to look at "o2 voltage" for up to 8 sensors so thats my next thing to look at to see which one (or more) is causing problems.

The OBD2 code info says P0141 is Bank 1, Sensor 2... but how that relates to upper or lower or left or right I have not found out yet.... maybe Bank 1 is drivers side (left) and sensor 2 is lower? Just guessing here...
Old 12-29-2012, 07:50 AM
2001 Frontier Crew Cab

would you please let me know the result of your knock sensor fix, were you able to find out what location of you o2 failure was by the BANK diagnostic you previousy posted and what source, you found that location. Is it fixed and are you happy, and any running difference. I am at a eminent decesion making so your quick response would definitely be appreciated. thank you very much mike
Old 01-14-2013, 07:37 AM
2002 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichantioch View Post
Oh and by the way the only thing that will give you a bad code is if A:the sensor is bad,B:the two grounds at the intake manifold that are the engine control grounds (from the harness) are not getting a good ground or C:something that is making a serious vibration repetively(such as a loose flywheel or a broken harmonic balancer ect.)
Do you have a picture of the ground at the intake manifold that you are talking about?
I have the code on my 2002 XE / super charged for some time now and noticed that there are a couple of grounding wires that are broken but can't seem to place where they were located originally.

Thanks
Old 04-30-2013, 12:19 PM
1999 Frontier King Cab

Default 1999 Frontier SE 4 by

Could provide a more detailed location of the 2 grounds to the intake manifold? Anything additional will be appreciated.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:48 PM
2001 Frontier Crew Cab

This may be beating an already kicked and tortured horse. I am having my motor for my 2001 Frontier 3.3 replaced with a salvage yard motor of like design and a lot less miles. Having seen where that knock sensor is, I am opting to replace it while the replacement motor is still on the engine stand. I might not replace the oxygen sensors since the replacement motor has a lot less miles than the original replaced motor with the blown head gasket. It might be a perfectly good knock sensor. A question i do have though is, I find a wide range of prices for the knock sensor just on one website alone...never mind ebay and a half dozen other internet sites. Is one sensor as good as the other as long as it's new. A the risk of a "plug", the website is CarPrtsShed (purposely spelled wrong)
Old 09-21-2013, 04:09 AM
2001 Frontier Crew Cab

Default you get what you pay for!

Thread is old but I did opt to change it out with OEM as it is under the plenum and not easy to get at. Others have chosen to relocate it but my trusted mechanic (non nissan) has indicated that it is there for a reason and nissan design team is not thinking a head to jerk consumers with higher service rates. 2 years after a few months of clearing codes hoping it would go away and no codes ,so it worked.Dont see any difference in mileage or feel but if it keeps me from burning out the top of a cylinder it is worth it.

Tags
knock, location, sensor