Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Power Steering fluid Forums > > Power Steering fluid Power Steering fluid
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 01-23-2010, 04:53 AM
2000 Frontier King Cab
2000 Sentra

Default Power Steering fluid

I wanted to top off my steering fluid the other day on my 2000 Front.I went in AA to pick some up.I got some Prestone PS fluid.It says on the back for most foreign cars and light trucks.I asked the guy behind the counter and he said it was fine.Went to put it in and the fluid in the PS is orange or reddish and the Prestone is clear.Is this alright or do I need to find something else?Thanks
Old 01-23-2010, 02:32 PM
Boomer

I think your Nissan uses ATF as a power steering fluid. My 2007 Frontier does. I buy what my dealer uses; the Mobil 1 ATF that says on the bottle that it is suitable for PSF.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:31 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

I did a flush of my 05 frontier using valvoline and so far have had no problems other than the steering seems alittle stiff when the temp outside drops down around 20 degrees.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Enthusiast
2004 Xterra
2006 Altima
2001 Frontier CC 2wd

Per my service writer @ dealership- the first gen frontier uses ATF for power steering fluid.

Hope it helps.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:18 AM
2005 Altima Sedan

I'm looking to change the power steering fluid in my 2005 Altima with 115K miles; it seems Mobil 1 synth is the way to go. Others say use the Nissan PSF. I just call my local Nissan dealer and asked about fluid-$4.99 for a 12 ounce bottle- 12 ounce- really???!!!
Old 08-02-2018, 11:38 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujs View Post
I'm looking to change the power steering fluid in my 2005 Altima with 115K miles; it seems Mobil 1 synth is the way to go. Others say use the Nissan PSF. I just call my local Nissan dealer and asked about fluid-$4.99 for a 12 ounce bottle- 12 ounce- really???!!!
Look in YOUR OWNER'S MANUAL to see which fluid your Altima Require's. Then look on EBay and Amazon for the Best Price. I save quiet a bit by buying my Nissan Fluid's and Filter's on EBay and/or Amazon.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:24 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Clear or amber power steering fluid should not be used in Nissan or Infiniti power steering systems. Nissan power steering fluid is nothing more than Nissan-Matic Type "D" ATF in a smaller bottle. Dexron III/Mercon ATF will work fine in Nissan power steering systems, as well as many synthetics, such as Valvoline Maxlife Full-synthetic ATF, which also works fine in in the RE5R05A automatic transmission used in 2005 and later Frontiers and Xterras and some other Nissan vehicles.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:42 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj999smj View Post
Clear or amber power steering fluid should not be used in Nissan or Infiniti power steering systems. Nissan power steering fluid is nothing more than Nissan-Matic Type "D" ATF in a smaller bottle. Dexron III/Mercon ATF will work fine in Nissan power steering systems, as well as many synthetics, such as Valvoline Maxlife Full-synthetic ATF, which also works fine in in the RE5R05A automatic transmission used in 2005 and later Frontiers and Xterras and some other Nissan vehicles.
SMJ,

In my '13 Owner's Manual ~ For the PSF, it say's to use Nissan PSF or Dexron VI. Is the Dexron VI same as Maxlife Full synthetic ATF or NissanMatic D or S ATF?

All these different type's of PSF & ATF make's me a little Dizzy.

Joe
Old 08-08-2018, 09:10 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Valvoline Maxlife Full-synthetic ATF is compatible with Dexron II, III and VI, as well as GM Autotrak II and Nissan Matic "D," "J," "S," "K" and "W," along with a whole lot of other ATF's. In other words, it's compatible for use as power steering fluid and automatic transmissions in all Nissan model EXCEPT the CVT transmissions, which use a specific CVT fluid.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:18 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2013 Frontier King Cab
1993 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj999smj View Post
Valvoline Maxlife Full-synthetic ATF is compatible with Dexron II, III and VI, as well as GM Autotrak II and Nissan Matic "D," "J," "S," "K" and "W," along with a whole lot of other ATF's. In other words, it's compatible for use as power steering fluid and automatic transmissions in all Nissan model EXCEPT the CVT transmissions, which use a specific CVT fluid.
Thank You SMJ,

Your Explanation help's me a lot.

I think that it would help Owner's out a lot if the Engineer's would proof read what the Editor's Write in the Manual's,, to help keep it Simple for Owner's to Know what they can and what they can't use for Fluid's.

Keeping thing's more simple would help Owner's be able to keep their Truck's in Better Running condition,, and doing so,, would also Benefit Nissan's Bottom Line,, makeing more Profit with longer durability. IMO

Thanks Again,
Joe
Old 08-11-2018, 12:06 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Well, Nissan probably doesn't have the time or vested interest in testing every available transmission fluid and power steering fluid to see if it's compatible with their vehicles; they recommend what the use at the factory and sell through their dealers as they can guarantee that it will meet their vehicle's specifications. Generally speaking for all makes, if the power steering fluid is red in color, stick with red power steering fluid or red automatic transmission fluid. Amber/clear power steering fluids should be used in systems with that color fluid, which is usually common in many US domestics and some European makes.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:01 PM
2004 Frontier
2004 Frontier Crew Cab

Looking for PSF for my 2004 Frontier. I didn't realize it was a bit complicated! At any rate, I'd like to buy from my local Advance Auto. Would this work?

Valvoline DEXRONŽ-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid
Valvoline DEXRON(R)-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid VV370: Advance Auto Parts

TIA.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:37 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier King Cab
1998 Pathfinder
1998 Frontier

Guess what? The dyed fluids are a marketing ploy to steer paranoid owners into going to the dealer. A few ppm of a dye trick consumers into running off to daddy dealer.

Nissan does not own a refinery or make their own PS fluids, coolant, oil, etc. I have 2004 and a 1998 Frontiers and use whatever meets governmental specifications. Bottle will state if OK for Nissans.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:23 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Not View Post
Looking for PSF for my 2004 Frontier. I didn't realize it was a bit complicated! At any rate, I'd like to buy from my local Advance Auto. Would this work?

Valvoline DEXRONŽ-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid
Valvoline DEXRON(R)-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid VV370: Advance Auto Parts

TIA.
Yes, that will work fine in the power steering system, but $10/quart is a bit expensive. You can get a gallon jug of Valvoline Maxlife full sythetic atf at Advance Auto for $20 and use it in your automatic transmission, as well, if you have one. Or, get the quart size and save a buck.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:37 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusser View Post
Guess what? The dyed fluids are a marketing ploy to steer paranoid owners into going to the dealer. A few ppm of a dye trick consumers into running off to daddy dealer.

Nissan does not own a refinery or make their own PS fluids, coolant, oil, etc. I have 2004 and a 1998 Frontiers and use whatever meets governmental specifications. Bottle will state if OK for Nissans.
True, but one should not confuse power steering fluid with automatic transmission fluid, which are two different things. Automatic transmission fluid (the red stuff) is usually high detergent and with friction modifiers to enhance friction, whereas, power steering fluid (the amber stuff) is designed to reduce friction and enhance lubrication. A lot of the older power steering systems are just fine with using automatic transmission fluid and many makes still use it, such as Nissan. Other manufacturers systems don't recommend ATF and are more specific in regards to their PS fluid, i.e. BMW. Any automatic transmission fluid that meets Dexron III specs (including II and VI) will be fine in most Nissan power steering systems.

Tags
fluid, power, steering