Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Wet passenger floorboard....not heater core and not A/C....HELP Forums > > Wet passenger floorboard....not heater core and not A/C....HELP Wet passenger floorboard....not heater core and not A/C....HELP
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 01-20-2010, 05:01 PM
Mjacoby

Default Wet passenger floorboard....not heater core and not A/C....HELP

So everytime it rains I have a leak that comes through above the passenger side floorboard to the rightmost side....behind the glovebox. It only happens when it rains so I know it isn't heater core or A/C related. Plus I have been trying to track it down by spraying the hose on certain areas.

I have taken the right fender off and the piece of metal below the windshield on the exterior that's between the windshield and the hood. I have cleaned the drains out and I am really beginning to get discouraged trying to find where the water is coming through.

I just bought this truck as a daily driver and so far this has been the only issue I have noticed.

Any help would be much appreciated.....I really don't want to let this problem ruin my floorboard and carpet.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

You have a tough one here, unfortunately my only suggestion is to have the windshield reglued, it is possible that at some point someone replaced the windshield and didn't properly sealed the windshield to the body.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:38 AM
Mjacoby

Default Thanks but it's not the windshield either......

I have tested isolated areas to narrow down where the leak is and without letting any water near the windshield.....I sprayed water through the vent cover only and no leak.....I then allowed some water to go over the hood into the engine bay and down the channel where the door panel and fender come together and then the water started to come through. It is definitely not the windshield, passender door seal, A/C, or the heater core. Which atleast narrows it down but I don't want to take my whole dash out to figure this out.

This is really starting to get frustrating......

Last edited by Mjacoby; 01-21-2010 at 02:42 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:21 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Xterra

Default water in cabin area....

i am not sure if this could be the problem but you might want to check.....when i replaced my windshield, they remove the windshield wipers/ and black plastic cowel ... once the cowel was removed, i looked inside and its a plastic long tray ... with drains on both ends.. i think your drains are clogged inside that area causing the water to make its way into the cabin area...
Old 01-21-2010, 01:34 PM
Mjacoby

Default Not the drains either..........

I have cleaned them thoroughly and cleaned that whole basin between the motor and cabin. I am truly stumped at this point.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:55 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Frontier

Not the A/C?

My little '02 seems to fog up inside in rainy weather. So I turn on the defroster, and that of course clears up the 'fog'.

The defroster employs the A/C system... I don't know that there's any condensation associated with defroster use however, as there is with summertime A/C, but keep that in mind.

------------------------

Then, there was a Chevy Venture that I had several years ago - A/C worked great, but the juice that collected on the floorboard was INCREDIBLE. At night, in the humid NC summer, it accumulated by the GALLON, in less than an hour's time.

Long story short, after LITERALLY dismantling the ENTIRE dash/firewall, putting a Shop-Vac to every orifice ANYwhere, to try and draw a dirt plug where it wasn't supposed to be, I had NO success. Even had the carpet out, lit up inside, WATCHING the water drain down while driving down the highway and through the cornfields. You should have seen them deer runnin' .

TIP: Don't watch the floorboard too long when going 60 NOPE.

In automotive forums, someone chimed in with a Dodge intrepid problem they heard of a few years before - that a drain tube missing from the engine side of the firewall allowed air pressure to block the water flow from the drain port that extended from the firewall.

???

Mine had a little drain port on the firewall - I'd gotten familiar with the front and back of the ENTIRE firewall uh HUH YUP. It was actually a 1/2" drain tube, sticking THROUGH the firewall, with a 3/4" sleeve of sorts, that was sheetmetal ON the firewall, flared, kind of like a guide-port for the drain tube. So the air was not actually blowing the water back into the drain tube, but back into the surrounding/guiding sleeve-tube.

But ain't no way that's gonna' apply to my situation (that's what I said at first). Couple of days later, I went to Advance / Zone, got a generic PVC 90' elbow - 1" x 1", and stuck it on the inner 1/2" tube.

I never got water again.

I would have put a C-bill on it that it ain't gonna' fix nothin'. And I would have lost my C-bill.

Tags
a or chelp, core, floorboardnot, heater, passenger, wet