Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
suspension noise - driver's side - when turning left Forums > > suspension noise - driver's side - when turning left suspension noise - driver's side - when turning left
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Frontier Nissan Frontier/HB/Truck Discussion Forum

Old 07-06-2005, 06:07 AM
protospheric

Default suspension noise - driver's side - when turning left

I've been experiencing a suspension knock with a 2001 Nissan Frontier XE. The noise is coming from the left front wheel when turning left. The noise is especially pronounced when I am turning left up a grade of some sort like into a driveway.

Has anyone here ever experienced this, and if so do you know what it is caused by, or what to look for? I took the wheel off over the weekend, and could not find anything obviously wrong. I even tried to move the wheel around to feel for play, but there was none.

??

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:47 PM
Anonymous

Default suspension noise from nissan friontier front suspension

The noise you are hearing is most likely comming from the torsion bar or front steering stop, both need to be lubricated on a regular basisis. penitrating lubricant followed by greese @ frt & rr monting points on torsion bars. greese on steering stops rt & lft sides located on lwr control arms, also see if plastic covers are missing from steering stops located on steering knuckle. i have same noise and it`s normal on these trucks if not lubricated regularly. hope that fixes noise it does for me.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

This picture will help you illustrate the suspension parts that need to be lubricate. Make sure the torsion bars, and tension rods are properly torque at factory specs.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:33 AM
blubell

Hi- I have a 2002 Frontier with the same torsion bar noise you are advising to lubricate but my local service station tells me that they couldn't get to the torsion bar ends to do the lubrication. The dealer knows how to do this but I don't like my dealer. Any advice?
Old 07-14-2007, 04:52 PM
2015 Rogue

You really just need to lube the steering stops. If you look at both lower control arms you will see on the front and back sides a sloped surface. On the spindle you will see a bolt with a white plastic cap. Lube both bolt heads and sloped surfaces on both sides of the truck. I usuakky coat them with wheel bearing grease.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:22 AM
2002 Frontier

I have a 2002 Nissan Frontier 4x4 (3.3L) and have a very similar noise; when turning left onto a bumpy surface there is a clunking sound coming from front left area of car. Dealership replaced steering stop covers and lubricated, local chain mechanics shop replaced shocks, and another shop replaced the sway bar end links/bushings. None of this solved the problem; still a low grade clunking that one can feel on both sides of truck only when turning left and only when going over uneven surfaces, although more pronounced on driver's side.

Did anyone figure this out? Where should one be looking?

JK
Old 02-24-2012, 03:20 AM
OE812

Default 02 Frontier Torsion Bar Grease Locations?

I have read several posts but still can not find the precise location of lubrication needed on the torsion bars. I have an 02 Frontier XE 4cyl. and dealer did not disclose. I have a metallic noise when turning right (not turning to the steering stop) and/or traveling over bumps. I have ordered the replacement bushings but don't like throwing money at it. I have replaced the sway bar bushings, end links, tie rods, idler arm and had an alignment. The shop stated the alignment was within specs and ball joints and control arm bushings are good.

What steps do I need to follow for torsion bar bushing replacement?

Last edited by OE812; 02-26-2012 at 06:47 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:24 AM
OE812

Default Nissan Tech; Whats Up?!/?

I have to believe that no one has a solution to this problem.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:49 PM
2003 Frontier King Cab

Every couple of months I jack the truck up and spray every pivot point and electrical contact I can get to with wd40. I know everyone hates wd40 for some reason, but I've found it keeps my suspension quiet and I haven't had any bushings fail since I've owned the truck. It might be in my head, but it seems like it makes it ride a little smoother even. Maybe just by preventing sticking bushings. No rust under my truck, no oil leaks, no electrical problems.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:53 AM
1995 Truck

I have a 95 Nissan pickup4x4 SE and have the same problem. I work on my truck all the time and have found that it has nothing to do with the torsion bar, the noise is coming from the control arm bushing (not the rubber one you can see.). The control arm connects from the lower link assembly to the body there is a steel sleeve that is placed on the arm that runs through a hole in the body and it rests on the steel frame and because it moves up and down with the suspension it starts to wear out and squeak because its metal to metal. I took mine off to look (3 bolts) and found that the sleeve slides off and had a large grove worn into it I greased it & spun it 180% put it back together and the noise went away but came back after a while because it wore out again, bad design on Nissan's part. Nissan sells the sleeve for $7.00 and its very east to swap out as long as the hole in the frame has not gotten to worn out, then a new piece of metal or large washer will need to be welded to the frame with the correct size hole to make it work again. Over all my truck has 210000 miles on it and the suspension has held up, although my transmission just died but that another issue.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf control arm.PDF (48.0 KB, 53 views)
Old 11-26-2012, 07:32 AM
2012 Frontier King Cab

I have a 12 Pro4X with about 3000 miles on it. I have been noticing a knock or thunk coming from the wheel well or front tire area when making left turns. It happens only when going over a modest crack, hole, or ridge at slower speeds. (20mph). These are not large road hazards, just typical road imperfections anyone encounters, such as a slightly recessed manhole cover. (The manhole cover is not making the clunk :) There are several of these during my short commute of 2 miles to work. I thought the brake calipers might be causing the clunk but they seem to be solid. It is almost showroom clean underneath and I have never been off road nor have I hit anything. Everything looks OK upon inspection. Has anyone else had this on such a new vehicle?

Tags
driver, left, noise, side, suspension, turning