Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2003 Nissan sentra have inertia switch? Forums > > 2003 Nissan sentra have inertia switch? 2003 Nissan sentra have inertia switch?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 09-18-2017, 12:03 PM
2003 Sentra

Default 2003 Nissan sentra have inertia switch?

My Nissan sentra just stopped running. Neighbor came off access bridge hard and she just won't start? Help please?
Old 09-18-2017, 05:55 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

I don't recall any Nissan having an inertia switch, except maybe the old Quests that were built with the Villager on the Ford assembly line. Cam position and crank position sensor failures are fairly common and can do that. If you know someone with a code reader, you can check for stored powertrain codes, which could be helpful (you can buy them for around $20-25 at Walmart and auto parts stores). You could spray carb cleaner into the intake and see if the engine will fire on it, which, if it does, tells you that you have spark and compression and are looking at a fuel delivery issue. If it doesn't, the next step would be to check for spark and then compression. This all assumes that your problem is that the engine cranks and doesn't start. If the engine doesn't turn over at all, check you battery, battery cable connections and charging system.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:20 AM
2003 Sentra

I did replace the cam/crank sensor. (The code reader showed an issue with the part.)
I've been told it may now require a computer reset? One other possibility is the timing belt/chain?
The neighbor and my spouse tried starting the car and drained the battery.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:18 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

There are two sensors, one cam position sensor and one crank position sensor, which is a lot harder to get to; did you replace both of them? It shouldn't require a reset to start the car, but you could always disconnect the negative battery cable for a few minutes and then install it on the battery. I don't think it's going to help anything. This engine would have a timing chain, not a belt. I don't recall too many problems with them, but you could always do a compression test.

Tags
inertia, nissan, sentra, switch