Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Starter Replacement Procedure Nissan Pathfinder Forums > > Starter Replacement Procedure Nissan Pathfinder Photo Starter Replacement Procedure Nissan Pathfinder
Forgot Password? Join Us!

DIY Projects Do-It-Yourself Projects

Old 02-14-2013, 10:31 PM
2002 Pathfinder
1995 Sentra
1995 Sentra

Thumbs up Starter Replacement Procedure Nissan Pathfinder

Hi. I'm new to the forum. stopped by today and searched for starter replacement and could not find a very good step by step instruction. I'm not a mechanic but managed to change my half-Dead starter. it started acting up since last week and yesterday did not respond to the ignition at all. checked the battery and it was fine. I knocked on the starter with hammer and it did work once. failed the second time. so I just did my research and replaced it myself .

here's the details :
>> Cost of the project == $97 (starter + tax) includes lifetime warranty on the starter !
>> Time : 30-45 minutes (might be less if you know what you're doing)

1- I had problem locating the starter. it's located on the right side of the vehicle behind the oil pan (imagine you are sitting in the car facing front)

2- disconnect the - pole of the battery , then + of the battery and you're ready to rock n roll ...

3- the rest of it is really straight forward. jack up the car and get under it. starter has 2 screws attaching the starter motor to the transmission. remove those 2 screws.
also don't forget to disconnect the black cable feeding the starter.

4- the 3rd screw (which took me some time to figure it's there!) is the starter wire attached by a screw. this needs to be removed too. or the starter will not come off (or at least I did so !)
this screw is shown in the picture :

then I believe the best option is to buy a new starter from Autozone for $85 which comes with a life time warranty. you have to take the old starter (core) to the shop or they will charge you like $50 for the core. they can even test it to make sure it's a faulty starter or not.

just do the reverse for installation .

by the way I have Infiniti QX4 2002 which is the same as Pathfinder 2002.

I believe I saved at least $150 by doing this half-hour fix by myself.
just trying to help someone else have some fun and save money.

although I'm not accountable if you face any problems during the repair.

good luck and have fun!

Last edited by NissanTech; 02-15-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Thank you very much for the pictures. Very helpful. I'll copy the thread to the DIY section.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:00 PM
2002 Pathfinder
1995 Sentra
1995 Sentra

Just letting you guys know that I had to replace the starter again after a year. So beware, Although they give the lifetime warranty at Autozone, this sh**ty starter worked for only a year and had to tow my SUV last week to replace the dead starter again...

Tags
infiniti qx4, pathfinder 2002, repair, replacement, starter