Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Installing OEM 7 min trailer wiring harness on a 2005 pathfinder Forums > > Installing OEM 7 min trailer wiring harness on a 2005 pathfinder Photo Installing OEM 7 min trailer wiring harness on a 2005 pathfinder
Forgot Password? Join Us!

DIY Projects Do-It-Yourself Projects

Old 08-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder

Default Installing OEM 7 min trailer wiring harness on a 2005 pathfinder

Bought an OEM 7 pin harness form dealership for $65 after tax. my 2005 pathfinder already had a 4 pin plug but i wanted to upgrade to pull my friends landscaping trailer. The instruction that came with it are very good and the project would have only taken about 20-30 minutes had there not been a blown fuse.(i bought the car used so i think it was already blown when i did the conversion. I took some photos as i went along to help the next guy and i can answer some basic questions but the project really is very easy, on scale of 1-10 its about a 2.

This is the bag the harness came in from the dealer showing the part number

This is what comes in the bag

These are the only tools you should need, i used the needle nose pliers to get the brown wire clips removed fromthe old harness.

This is the only bolt that holds the old 4 pin harness in

Nissan drilled and tapped these holse for the mounting bracket already and the bolds supplied fit right in with no problem

This is the existing connection with the 4 pin wiring harness notice the black plug in the one connector, this is the trailer brakes and power wire that isn't used i with the 4 pin connection just remove the plug and the black connector on the 7 pin harness fits right in

This is the mounting bracket after it's installed with the supplied bolts

This was the hardest part, before sliding the connector into the mounting bracket you have to remove the the bolt that holds the bumper on so you can work the wires around behind the bracket the replace the bolt.

After inserting all 3 brown wire clips the 2 connectors are lined up to be plugged into the matching color connectors on the vehicle side

Remember for ease of installation i removed the spare tire, this is the clearance after the tire is reinstalled

Last edited by NissanTech; 04-25-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:06 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder

let me know if this was helpful
Old 08-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder

one more quick note after the installation i couldn't get the left turn blinker on the trailer working. both blinkers on the car worked, and on the trailer the stop lights,running lights and and right hand turn signal worked but not the left hand signal. I checked fuses in the glove box and engine compartment and found nothing wrong, then after a little more internet research i found that Nissan placed the fusses for the trailer left and right turn signal in the F.....ing dumbest possible place (IMHO). To get to them i had to take off the knee panel under the steering column which isn't hard but takes a little time---almost 10 minutes to get to the stupid little fuses here's a picture of them.

Last edited by dsm0274; 08-11-2009 at 08:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Thank you for the pictures! I'm sure many users will find the information very helpful.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:24 AM
gtngabi

Default Commect electric brake controller

i want connect a RV Trailer using electric brake controller.
is this wiring also working for EBC?
Old 06-02-2011, 06:19 PM
steveb1268

dsmo274, You are the BEST!! The picture showing where the trailer harness fuses are located saved my bacon. I spent hours trying to figure out why my left turn signal and brake lights wouldn't work on the trailer.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:01 AM
2008 Pathfinder

Default Thanks!

This posting was extremely helpful. Thank you dsm0274 for the description and pictures. I just finished a round 7-way towing harness installation on a 2008 Pathfinder, and this posting helped make it an easy project. The only extra step I had to take was to install a towing relay to activate the full functionality of the 7-way plug, specifically the charge wire.

There are two towing relays under the hood near the battery. The first one was already installed (presumably to activate the running lights and signal for the existing 4-pin towing harness). The second one was not installed, so I had to order that (Part number: 25230-7996A, $38) and install it to get the charge wire to work.

Here are a couple pics.

Tim
Boulder, CO
Attached Thumbnails
Installing OEM 7 min trailer wiring harness on a 2005 pathfinder-relay2-jpg   Installing OEM 7 min trailer wiring harness on a 2005 pathfinder-lrelay1-jpg  

Last edited by bocotim; 11-03-2011 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Added relay part number
Old 06-13-2012, 06:32 AM
2006 Pathfinder
2006 Pathfinder

Default sub harness for brake control

I was wandering if anyone had any images of where the brake controller hooks up underneath the dash. I know this might be a little redundant but I just bought this thing and I haven't really gotten under there yet.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder

if you look at the picture i posted about the 2 fuses under tha dash i took a picture of them, i beleive that the white connector in the right side of the photo that is taped to another wiring harness is the connection for the trailer brake
Old 07-08-2012, 06:02 PM
2006 Pathfinder
2006 Pathfinder

Default Do it yourself!!!!!!

DSM0274 thanks for the info. I see now.
Okay guys here is what I did. I tried to order part#999T8-XR010 (which is the seven pin harness for the Pathfinder) and part #25230-7996A( the relay necessary to supply power to the trailer from your battery. The seven pin harness is currently on back order as of July 2012. The relay from the nissan dealership is like $35.(What a crock!!!) I am not the type to wait around when I want to get something done. I also like to save money. I did some research and I found that nissan changed the part # on the trailer relay so that you couldn't cross reference check it to find it in your local auto zone. Auto Zone carries the same relay under part #20228. ($15.99) at my local store. If you don't believe do your homework. Also here's where you can save some money. The seven pin part costs about 60 or more bucks. When I bought my camper the dealer gave me one of those universal four to seven pin harness converters.(I think hopkins name brand.) Of course there is a four pin connector and a couple of extra bare wires that you would normally hard wire. Here's some instructions:

1. Get under the pathfinder and pull out the black "dummy plug" in the main trailer wire harness by the driver's rear tire of the SUV. (This plug is exactly like the the real one that would normally have the wires in it.

2. Plug in your relay under the hood.

3. With a volt meter(and the ignition key turned to the "ON" position)....find which lead has a constant 12 volt current at the female portion of that plug. That is your 12 volt supply line to your trailer. On those Hopkins Universal 7 pin plugs that is a black wire.(Refer to the schematic that comes with your plug!!!!!!) . The other metal lead will be your blue brake controller line.

4. Take your dummy plug and carefully remove the plastic retainer clip and the two rubber plugs.

5. Get (2) 16-14 AWG 1/4" female disconectors and remove the plastic sheath from the back of them.(pics to follow.) connect your black wire to the side that has been predetermined to be the 12 volt hot side and then the blue to the other.

6. slide the wire and "naked terminal" into your now opened Factory dummy plug with wires sticking now out the back.

7. Drill small holes through the centers of your rubber retaining plugs and then slide them down into there holes around the wires. (a small screwdriver really helps to put them back into place.) Then replace your retaining clip.

8. Wire your universal plug to you new homemade factory plug.

9. Plug it in and enjoy the fact you just saved some money and "STUCK IT TO THE MAN!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-07-05 22.02.29.jpg (222.0 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-07-05 22.13.28.jpg (234.7 KB, 88 views)
Old 11-13-2012, 07:55 PM
2008 Pathfinder

This post is the gift that keeps on giving! Thank you very much. I followed these instructions for my recently purchased 2008 Pathfinder LE V8 and had no issues, saving a ~$120 install (quotes from two vendors). I was able to do the install without removing the spare tire, which saved some hassle. Even better, my 5 year old daughter was thrilled to be my assistant. Now I just need to find the thread that shows how to pull up the center console to install the controller mount in that little cubby under the radio (please reply if you know the link).

Cheers,

Scott
Old 11-14-2012, 07:41 AM
2006 Pathfinder
2006 Pathfinder

Mr. Murfscot just a quick heads up. I thought about doing that as well ......putting the brake controller in that little cubby hole. Trust me it is not worth the hassle. Also on my brake controller there is an adjustment control on the side that you have to get to when in different driving conditions.
I have attached two pics. I am well over six feet tall and I don't have a problem with where I mounted mine. Try this idea out.Installing OEM 7 min trailer wiring harness on a 2005 pathfinder-2012-11-14_10-21-04-jpg

Installing OEM 7 min trailer wiring harness on a 2005 pathfinder-2012-11-14_10-21-42-jpg
Old 11-15-2012, 06:54 AM
2008 Pathfinder

ab1748, Thanks, I checked the clearance in the cubby and you are right, there is not enough room to easily reach one of the controls under the unit. I'm tall too, so will try that spot under the dash (which will also save the major headache of pulling out the console).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1748 View Post
Mr. Murfscot just a quick heads up. I thought about doing that as well ......putting the brake controller in that little cubby hole. Trust me it is not worth the hassle. Also on my brake controller there is an adjustment control on the side that you have to get to when in different driving conditions.
I have attached two pics. I am well over six feet tall and I don't have a problem with where I mounted mine. Try this idea out.Attachment 3231

Attachment 3232
Old 03-28-2014, 10:40 AM
2008 Pathfinder

Hi Guys,

Thanks for this great post. I'm working on this install and would like to clarify what I need to do. I ordered the 7-pin harness from Nissan and installed it last night. Thanks dsm0274 for the helpful photos. If anyone would like the instructions from Nissan I downloaded them here: http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/asist...1/S/W/1SW2.PDF

What I'm trying to determine now is what relay and/or fuse do I need to install. I am towing a boat that has surge brakes so I'm not using a brake controller. So do I need both the relay and fuse? If so, what size fuse do I need for the connector under the dash?
Old 10-05-2015, 11:10 AM
2008 Pathfinder
2008 Pathfinder SE

Hey there,

This post was extremely helpful to me...after the fact....but I'd like to add some additional info that might help someone out.

I ordered the 7 way wire harness from ETrailer.com which stated it was OEM and guaranteed to fit (Part# 118267). Well, the 2 pin black harness fit just fine, however the 6 pin gray harness on the ETrailer harness didn't fit at all. That's because my 2008 Pathfinder has an 8 pin gray harness that was originally connected to the factory installed 4 way flat trailer harness. (see pictures. Green is car harness, orange is Etrailer harness)

I called Etrailer to complain and was told that they sell many of those wire harnesses and have never had a complaint. They insisted that it should fit my 2008 Pathfinder SE with tow package. After doing some internet research i did in fact find a few posts with the same problem (one of which was on the Etrailer.com "Questions" page by the way).

Long story short....I finally tracked down the 999T8-XR024 Tow Kit with harness from a Nissan dealer an hour away...but it was well worth it. It had the correct 8 pin gray harness. FYI, in addition to the gray and black harnesses it also had a third one (2 pin gray). From what I found out it is for models equipped with I-Key, which my 2008 is not. The Nissan part fit perfectly and installed in 15 min..start to finish.

Unfortunately, in addition to Etrailer sending me a part that I could not use for my car they also gave me incorrect information. They told me that that harness was all I needed to have lights AND electric breaks. Im a weekend warrior hack so I had no idea that I also need Nissan Parts# 24167-7S000 (Electronic Brake Jumper) and 25230-7996A (Relay). I also didn't know I needed to purchase a Brake Controller.....like I said, I'm a hack. Luckily the parts guy at Acme Nissan in South Brunswick NJ told me everything I needed to know and even had all the parts in stock. I probably could have gotten the jumper and relay someplace cheaper but after my ordeal with Etrailer trying to save a few bucks I was happy to pay the dealer full price. The knowledge alone was worth it.

It was only after I figured all this out that I came across this post. Had i found it earlier it could have saved me a lot of time and headache but oh well.

Hopefully this helps someone else out in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Installing OEM 7 min trailer wiring harness on a 2005 pathfinder-carharness-jpg   Installing OEM 7 min trailer wiring harness on a 2005 pathfinder-etrailerharness-jpg  

Last edited by jcifjr; 10-05-2015 at 11:17 AM. Reason: add pictures

Tags
2005, harness, installing, min, oem, pathfinder, relay, trailer, trailer wiring, wiring