Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2009 Cube - Electronic Steering Column Lock Malfunction, Car Disabled! Forums > > > 2009 Cube - Electronic Steering Column Lock Malfunction, Car Disabled! 2009 Cube - Electronic Steering Column Lock Malfunction, Car Disabled!
Forgot Password? Join Us!

cube Nissan Cube Discussion Forum

Old 09-08-2013, 05:16 PM
2009 Cube

Exclamation 2009 Cube - Electronic Steering Column Lock Malfunction, Car Disabled!

My car is stranded in a parking lot presently, and I've been researching the reason why for a day or so....
It seems that the steering column lock is screwed up, and the car has decided that I'm trying to steal it, even though I have the key fob.
My cube has the push button start, and it worked fine up until Friday...
Doesn't it seem a little dangerous for the car to disable itself for something as silly as a steering wheel lock? This could happen in the middle of nowhere stranding a person without help. Surely, it's not a safety issue to have your steering wheel not lock. I could be driving the thing to the mechanic instead of having it towed if the darn thing would just start.
So, we called the local dealer, who couldn't figure out the problem over the phone... even though there are numerous cases described on the net (that's how I figured it out) Anyhow, after I found my answers, we called the dealer back, and they informed me that the part had already been replaced under recall in 2010.... was there really a recall in 2010? And if there was, why did it fail again?? And, why wouldn't Nissan replace it again?
Also, In my searching, I realized that this was a far reaching problem across many nissan models. The altima for instance - there is lots of info on the net on how to get your car going after it locks up.... but none for the cube. There is even a bypass harness kit you can buy to avoid the situation in the future. But not for the cube. I really can't afford to pay 1000 dollars to fix a problem that shouldn't have happened in the first place. It's very frustrating.

Sorry for the rambling message, but I've been trying to find a way around taking this to the dealer all weekend, with no luck. Is there anyone out there who can help me? I'd love to be able to bypass this anti-theft garbage, start my car, and drive it home.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:31 AM
2009 Cube

I had same problem after mine was replaced by Nissan After much "TALK" Nissan paid for part me labor Still not right Nissan extended the warranty on Altama not Cube
Old 08-27-2014, 03:58 AM
2015 Rogue

I the fob working to unlock the doors?
ASE Master Certified.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:54 AM
2009 Cube

I have a 2009 Nissan cube my Nissan cube started acting up after I bought it just about four months ago it does not start now accessory mode does not even work. The steering wheel lock was replaced in 2012 I think it's possible that it's broken again. I'm going to check for the brake switch to see if the brake switch is broken first. Going to check to see if the brake lights come on I'm a do use a Snowbrush to keep the brake pedal depressed if the brake switch is bad then the car should start. I've tried tapping on the steering wheel lock I've had no luck. Even when I have the car working I took out the fuse in the engine compartment that made the car not start at all. The car was running when I did this. I've even disconnected the battery and reconnected the battery I get nothing. The yellow key light comes on and then goes away when I depress the brake pedal at first and try to press the start button. There's so many of us out there that have this problem. People should check the brake switch first. But my thoughts are why is the car not working in the accessory mode.

Other Nissans like the Ultima I having the same problems

Last edited by 2009Nissancube; 05-13-2016 at 07:03 AM.

Tags
2009, car, column, cube, disabled, electronic, lock, malfunction, steering