Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2004 Sentra CD eject clicking tutorial Forums > > 2004 Sentra CD eject clicking tutorial 2004 Sentra CD eject clicking tutorial
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Audio, Video & Electronics Audio, Video & Electronics posts concerning all models. iPod, Navigation, Bluetooth

Old 04-09-2013, 04:19 PM
2004 Sentra

Default 2004 Sentra CD eject clicking tutorial

Hi all,

I've had this issue for almost 2 years and have been getting by with just my ipod plugged into the aux socket. I decided to pull out the cd player to recover the trapped disc "by any means possible and then buy an aftermarket head unit. When i looked around here to find info for removing the cd player, I was surprised how many people have had a similar issue. Disk will play but won't eject and when the eject button is pressed, there is a clicking sound. The clicking sound is misaligned gears skipping. The cover that keeps the gears in place is likely cracked at a weak spot, allowing the gears to sit out of place. If you have an hour or so, you can fix it yourself and save the cost of a new unit or aftermarket unit. Here's how:

There are many good vids on the YouTubes that show how to get the dash apart to access the cd player so I'll just link one below. In my '04, there were 6 screws, not just 4 screws like the video shows so keep yer eyes peeled. If you have one of the center dash units that has the storage compartment over the CD player, you can pop open the compartment lid, grasp the panel by the tray and give it a sharp tug right toward you to get it out. That will save you the prying and potential damage to the dash.

How to Remove Radio / CD Changer from 2005 Nissan Sentra for Repair - YouTube

+ YouTube Video

Tools needed:
thin, non-marring pry tool
#1 flat head screwdriver
#1 or #0 Phillips Screwdriver
#2 Phillips Screwdriver
T25 Torx driver
Cyanoacrylate adhesive

Step 1: pull the fuse for the stereo. Its under the hood in the block next to the battery. The frame that holds the CD player in the dash appears to be the ground path for the stereo based on the sparks seen when I removed the last screw and the frame jiggled around a bit.

Step 2: remove the dash panels and heating/AC trim as shown in the videos.

Step 3: remove the wire harnesses and antenna plug. There is excess wire in the dash so don't be afraid to gently pull out some slack. The wire harnesses are a bit tricky as they have an integral latch that locks them in place. My best advice is this. The smaller one comes out pretty easily by pressing the tab with your thumb and pulling. The other two are in tight. Place a flat head screwdriver behind the lock tab and twith the driver to force the tab down. At the same time, lever the driver against the cd player to pop the plug out of the socket. Pull the antenna plug straight out.

Step 4: remove the frame from the CD player with the T25 driver. There are four bolts.

Step 5: Remove the heat/AC dial trim. It snaps to the CD player trim by two tabs at the rear. I used a pair of needle-nose pliers to compress the tabs and push them out.

Step 6: Remove the single small screw that secures the top panel of the CD player.

Step 7: Using a flat head driver, pry up the cover at the four tabs that secure it in place. Two tabs on each side.

Step 8: Remove the two screws that hold the front face on the CD player. One on each side.

Step 9: There are four tabs holding the face to the unit. Two on each side, that must be gently disengaged to remove the face. I used my fingernails to pull them up and then pull the face away from the unit slightly.

Step 10: grasp the face and work it back and forth to remove it from the unit. There is a plug that mates to the face with some very thin contacts. be careful not to damage them.

Step 11: Remove these seven screws. Be careful not to strip out the driver slot, they are pretty soft brass. Note the white ribbon cable and be careful with it in future steps. Note the two tab slots indicated by arrows. these tabs hold the end plate to the sides of the unit. They are pretty easy to lever out with a small flat head driver.

Step 12: There are four screws at the rear of the unit, two on each side. Loosen the one in the heat sink (circled) and remove the other one (arrow). The ones with the arrow hold the laser/eject mechanism/player motor stuff so be careful not to let it all flop around when you take them out.

Step 13: use a small flat head driver to pry the tabs and release the laser/mechanism/spinner assembly. Sorry its blurry, I'm sure you get the jist.

Step 14: Carefully lift out the assembly and turn it over. Mind the ribbon cable. Be sure that the springs supporting the mechanism don't fall out like mine did. If they do, its fairly easy to put them back in place with tweezers. Locate the gear assembly (circled).

Step 15: Have a close look at the cover of the gear assembly by the screw indicated. I bet the screw isn't holding the cover in place anymore. Yeah? If so, press the cover down and squirt a little glue in there where the break is. Carefull not to get too much in or get any on the gears, if you do, you'll be hosed. I used Loctite 420. Its a very thin liquid that wicks in between parts and creates a good bond. Any rapid polymerizing adhesive will do, just be sure to get it in the right spot. Hold the cover down tight, it could take a few minutes for the glue to cure. You can speed up the polymerization by breathing on the spot. The moisture in your breath speeds curing. The break may be somewhere else but I suspect yours will be the same as mine. Design flaw, I guess.

Put it all back in the reverse order and install it in your car. Don't forget to replace the fuse.

Good luck!

Last edited by NissanTech; 04-09-2013 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Include Video
Old 04-09-2013, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Thanks!! Copy to DIY section.

Tags
2004, clicking, eject, sentra, tutorial