Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Roar noise and slight vibration going over 40 mph Forums > > Roar noise and slight vibration going over 40 mph Roar noise and slight vibration going over 40 mph
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Armada Nissan Armada Discussion Forum

Old 05-12-2010, 05:45 AM
2004 Armada

I will be anxious to see if you get any response. I have yet to be able to get my Armada to "replicate" the sound I get with a Nissan mechanic in my car. I always get the standard response that it must duplicate what it is doing so that they can diagnose the issue. I know it isn't the tires, alignment or balancing FOR SURE.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:47 PM
Wayyne

I ruled out needing a balance, or uneven tire wear by putting a spare wheel and tire on. Replaced the wheel hub asym again, and although there was no play when pulling the wheel at 12 & 6 the bearings were indeed the issue, No more sound, grabbed a replacement for 100$ from the junkyard, they were happy to replace the bad one i got from them in the first place. Hope this helps anyone else with the issue.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:32 PM
2004 Armada

So you did in fact replacing the bearings, right? I know nothing about cars so this will sound like a stupid question, but I am assuming there are 4 bearings, right??? And if so how did you tell which it was? Something you can look at or process of elminiation? And you literally got this at a "junkyard"? Salvage is what we call them here in Oklahoma. ha..ha... Maybe the bearing isn't terribly expensive but I know the labor will be out of hand if I take it to the dealership.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Wayyne

i already knew the issue was with my driverside front wheel because thats the one i hit a curb with.

im no car expert either im learning as i go. try getting up to the speed where you hear the whomp whomp sound and turn your wheel left and right, like change lanes, you should notice the sound goes away when turning one way or the other. for example when i turned right the sound stopped, indicating the left bearing was the culprit.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:43 PM
2004 Armada

Great, thanks. I too think I noticed it stopping when I changed lanes to the right and I always felt like it was coming from the left side but wasn't sure if it was the front or the rear. Most of the time it sounds like the rear. I really appreciate your help. THanks!!!
Old 05-13-2010, 05:18 AM
Wayyne

no problem. And if you need any help getting to the hub let me know, although im sure an armada isnt identical to my infinit g35 it shouldnt be difficult, just.....

take off the wheel, remove the brake pads,
remove the caliper bracket if its holding the rotor on,
remove the rotor, and there should be about 4 bolts holding it on from the back.

Best of luck, if your feeling vibration in the steering wheel with the sound its most likely your front wheel.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:01 AM
2004 Armada

Had forgotten to update this forum. I took the Armada to the dealership as the roar noise was becoming more frequent and on dry road surfaces. Naturally on the day I took it to the dealership it did not make that noise but I told them what I had read on this forum and that regardless of whether or not they heard the noise I wanted the wheel bearings inspected. They say they could hear the noise (duplicate) and that the cause was from me driving in 4-wheel auto. The tech said that once he took it down to 2-wheel it stopped. They inspected the bearings and the transfer case (all of which were good). They say they even drove 2 other Armada's on the lot and were able to duplicate sound (which I don't believe because I know how sporadic that roar noise is so to be able to duplicate in my car, let alone two others (???) but we will see. My biggest concern was a safety issue and I am grateful I didn't have an expensive repair bill. I will continue driving and see if I hear that noise again while driving in 2-wheel and update site because I honestly can't say that I know whether I had it in 4-wheel auto or 2-wheel when I heard this noise over the years.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:17 PM
Enthusiast
2004 Armada

Default dealer dung!

Dear Mr. Chambers: This story your elate appears to emanate from a dishonest dealer. There is no reason that your Armada should "roar" when you drive in 4wd Auto,. That is pure fantasy,as you wisely suspected.

Take it to another shop. Make sure they check:

1. That the both front axles are property fitted flush to the
transaxle case, or transfer case. If they protrued, it means the c clip inside the case has broken or bent and the axle is only riding on some of the spline teeth...maybe 1/4 inch, instead of the full spline, which is about 1 inches in length. This is the end of the axle shaft which fits into the case.

2. If the "roar" which you describe is like a low pitch whine which gets louder as you pick up speed, it is a wheel bearing in the wheel hub. This can be easily diagnosed by an honest mechanic.

3. It is hard to diagnose from what you write. a "roar" can even be worn tires. The Armada has rough tread tires. As they wear, especially if they weat unevenly, they can "roar", as you describe. Have a good tire shop inspect the tires. Also look for bulges in the side wall of the tire, which are dangerous and could be causing it.

4. Have the wheel wells up front inspected. It could even be a plastic partition falling down from inside of the fender rubbing on the wheel...or even a branch caught in the wheel well hitting the tire.

5. Have the brakes inspected. It could be a stuck break caliper, keeping the brake pad against the wheel disk, when it should be retracting instead when you let off the brake pedal.

6. A longer shot would be a sound emanating from the transmission/transaxle.
A good mechanic can diagnose this.

Well, those are the ideas I can come up with, but, the story which the dealer is giving you is pure b.s.

Just because they are a dealer is no reason to trust them. There are plenty of independent mechanics who are just as good or better and may actually be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchambers View Post
Had forgotten to update this forum. I took the Armada to the dealership as the roar noise was becoming more frequent and on dry road surfaces. Naturally on the day I took it to the dealership it did not make that noise but I told them what I had read on this forum and that regardless of whether or not they heard the noise I wanted the wheel bearings inspected. They say they could hear the noise (duplicate) and that the cause was from me driving in 4-wheel auto. The tech said that once he took it down to 2-wheel it stopped. They inspected the bearings and the transfer case (all of which were good). They say they even drove 2 other Armada's on the lot and were able to duplicate sound (which I don't believe because I know how sporadic that roar noise is so to be able to duplicate in my car, let alone two others (???) but we will see. My biggest concern was a safety issue and I am grateful I didn't have an expensive repair bill. I will continue driving and see if I hear that noise again while driving in 2-wheel and update site because I honestly can't say that I know whether I had it in 4-wheel auto or 2-wheel when I heard this noise over the years.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:36 PM
2004 Armada

Default Appreciate your suggestions

I REALLY appreciate your suggestions. I will continue updating this until I find out more.

Thanks again,
Old 12-19-2010, 08:15 AM
VegasNissan

Hi,

I find myself in a very similar situation. I hit and ran over a curb going about 5 miles an hour. Besides gashing my rim and scratching the right front of the car, I heard a weird wom wom wom noise when driving. I took the car to the dealer and they said I jammed the bearing and needed to replace the right axle. I had it replaced and now I am hearing the wom wom noise and feeling a vibration on driver's side when I hit 40 and above. I returned to the dealer and they said it was just the noise of the bearing hitting my tire and not to worry. But I am worried. Will the car always make this noise forever? Can it not be fixed? It is a leased vehicle and I don't want any issues. Any suggestions? I am getting myself sick over this! Thanks!
Old 12-19-2010, 09:49 AM
2004 Armada

Possibly. I started hearing mine when my car had approximately 22,000 miles. It was so sporadic, and as I have said in earlier posts only when the roads were wet or had some moisture. It has done this until recently. I now have 78,000 miles and I am hearing it on dry surfaces and much more frequently. Oddly though, in the last couple of weeks I am hearing the sound between 35 to 50 mph and it seems to stop when I go faster, which is totally opposite of before.

Have your tires checked though. I am assuming you have done this, check the balance and the alignment? You easily could have knock it out of balance, again if you weren't hearing the noise before.

In this case with my most recent visit to the Nissan dealership they say they even called Nissan to find out if they had other compliants for this problem and they offered no solutions, suggestions, etc.

Remember too.... mine is a loud roaring noise, not a wom, wom, wom noise (which also reminds me of the sound you can get with a bad tire or out of balance. I never really feel any vibration either. Mine is really this roar which typically gets louder and higher pitched as I go faster.

I am sure you have read recent posts where the dealerhip told me that it was me driving in 4 wheel auto (which is so not the case). Someone else posted to this site several things that should be checked. Within a couple of days I took it back to the dealership and told them to keep the car until they found it. After a couple of days and checking those items listed they say all checks out fine, and that although they have now heard the noise (which for years they say they could never duplicate) that until they can get the noise to happen more frequently or for longer periods they cannot pin point the cause and that they don't want to start replacing things such as bearings, etc and be on a wild goose chase. The difference between are auto though is that I have never hit anything whereas you bumped into the curb. If you didn't hear this noise before but you do now I would not accept the dealers response about it being normal. You know that your car did not make this sound before and now it does. I believe it has to have to something to do with what repairs they have made.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Enthusiast
2004 Armada

Default roaring./..new idea

Hi, Dec 19, 2010. I have a new idea for you. After reading these several posts I have come to the conclusion that the roaring you are hearing is not in the mechanical part of the vehicle...it is external. So :

1. Check the roof rack. Do you have anything on it. Have you moved the roof rack cross bars? Put them in different positions and see whether this helps you out. The air rushing through the roof rack bars can make a roar.

2. Check the hood bonnet. Is it closing properly, front and back? If not, have the closing mechanism in front adjusted.

3. Check, in the engine compartment, the 4 inch hose duct which goes to the rear of the air cleaner housing. Has it come loose? Make sure the air cleaner hosing is tight.

4. Put the truck up on the lift and check underneath for stuck items in the suspension, such as dead animals, pieces of plastic, paper boxes, coats, shirts or materials stuck in the undercarriage.

5. Have the weather stripping around all doors checked to see that they are properly placed.

6. Check for a leaking exhaust manifold gasket or a leaking exhaust system joint or gasket. Check catalytic converter for holes .

7. Check for obstructions in the grill, at front.

8. CHeck the fan sensor to be sure that the radiator fan is not coming on electrically at the wrong time.

9. Finally, check the heater system. A heater door may be stuck or its
servo motor broken and the roar may be an obstruction in the heater duct.
Does the roar sound the same whether or not the heater is on or off. Does it change when you increase the heater fan speed?

10. If it isn't any of the things I mentioned in my two e mails,
then face it.....your truck is haunted by ghosts!!

Quote:
Possibly. I started hearing mine when my car had approximately 22,000 miles. It was so sporadic, and as I have said in earlier posts only when the roads were wet or had some moisture. It has done this until recently. I now have 78,000 miles and I am hearing it on dry surfaces and much more frequently. Oddly though, in the last couple of weeks I am hearing the sound between 35 to 50 mph and it seems to stop when I go faster, which is totally opposite of before.

Have your tires checked though. I am assuming you have done this, check the balance and the alignment? You easily could have knock it out of balance, again if you weren't hearing the noise before.

In this case with my most recent visit to the Nissan dealership they say they even called Nissan to find out if they had other compliants for this problem and they offered no solutions, suggestions, etc.

Remember too.... mine is a loud roaring noise, not a wom, wom, wom noise (which also reminds me of the sound you can get with a bad tire or out of balance. I never really feel any vibration either. Mine is really this roar which typically gets louder and higher pitched as I go faster.

I am sure you have read recent posts where the dealerhip told me that it was me driving in 4 wheel auto (which is so not the case). Someone else posted to this site several things that should be checked. Within a couple of days I took it back to the dealership and told them to keep the car until they found it. After a couple of days and checking those items listed they say all checks out fine, and that although they have now heard the noise (which for years they say they could never duplicate) that until they can get the noise to happen more frequently or for longer periods they cannot pin point the cause and that they don't want to start replacing things such as bearings, etc and be on a wild goose chase. The difference between are auto though is that I have never hit anything whereas you bumped into the curb. If you didn't hear this noise before but you do now I would not accept the dealers response about it being normal. You know that your car did not make this sound before and now it does. I believe it has to have to something to do with what repairs they have made.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:52 PM
2004 Armada

nisrjr: I had to laugh when I read your post. I am not totally convinced that it isn't still an issue with the wheel bearing. I have had passengers with me recently that have said that is what it sounds like to them but all agree that typically a bad bearing will always make the sound and would get worse or be mroe frequent. That is the one odd thing about this. I mean it is becoming more frequent now but you would think if it was bad it would be the majority of the time.

I have taken it back the dealership because there was an extended warranty which has only recently ran out. I have found a good mechanic that I am going to take it to and have him check all the things you have mentioned. Although I still feel like the dealership should take care of this problem since I have been reporting this problem for the past 50,000 miles. Let's face it.... I have no real way of knowing to what extent it was checked. They said they checked the wheel bearings with a stethascope (spelling???) but I think there has to be other ways to check it. Besides if it won't make the sound when they are checking it I am not sure what good a stethoscope would make, but obviously I am not a mechanic.

I know that it doesn't matter if my heat or a/c is running or not...sounds the same. I haven't moved my rack on top ever. I know I have no obstructions on the grill. I would think if there was a dead animal they would have found that or we could at least smell it. ha..ha... don't know about the fan sensor (although they just replaced some sensor this last week, some recall....) hood bonnet??? I don't know what that is? Do you mean the actual hood??? I know that my hood latch had to be adjusted a couple or three years ago but it rattled. Not the same sound.

The sound is coming from the front and I still think it is something bearing, axle, something like that. Again though.... I will continue to update this site as the ghost hauntings continue and report whether my findings of a ghostbuster/mechanic are successful.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:06 PM
Enthusiast
2004 Armada

Default roar

Those items, bearings etc., would produce, not a roar, but a
loud gear type noise.

I am beginning to think it is just your front tires. The tires on these cars do roar...it is not a quiet vehicle by any means, and the treads on the tires are an aggressive pattern for use with 4wd.

Hold old are your tires? Consider changing them to a milder tread.

Another thought is the transaxle ring gears. How many miles on this Armada.

I have to tell you , I have had many more problems than that with my Armada and will not buy another Nissan.

By the way a stethoscope is not just used by Doctors. It is frequently used by mechanics to pin point the location of sounds in the engine and other places. If they spun the wheel and used a stethoscope, it is not the wheel bearing on the wheel they checked.

The sound may be normal for your vehicle. The fan roars, the tires roar and you roar when you get your car payment bill.

Get yourself a Buick and be happy...like floating on a quiet cloud...and they handle well now too. The Chinese love them and 3 billion Chinese can't be wrong!

Quote:
nisrjr: I had to laugh when I read your post. I am not totally convinced that it isn't still an issue with the wheel bearing. I have had passengers with me recently that have said that is what it sounds like to them but all agree that typically a bad bearing will always make the sound and would get worse or be mroe frequent. That is the one odd thing about this. I mean it is becoming more frequent now but you would think if it was bad it would be the majority of the time.

I have taken it back the dealership because there was an extended warranty which has only recently ran out. I have found a good mechanic that I am going to take it to and have him check all the things you have mentioned. Although I still feel like the dealership should take care of this problem since I have been reporting this problem for the past 50,000 miles. Let's face it.... I have no real way of knowing to what extent it was checked. They said they checked the wheel bearings with a stethascope (spelling???) but I think there has to be other ways to check it. Besides if it won't make the sound when they are checking it I am not sure what good a stethoscope would make, but obviously I am not a mechanic.

I know that it doesn't matter if my heat or a/c is running or not...sounds the same. I haven't moved my rack on top ever. I know I have no obstructions on the grill. I would think if there was a dead animal they would have found that or we could at least smell it. ha..ha... don't know about the fan sensor (although they just replaced some sensor this last week, some recall....) hood bonnet??? I don't know what that is? Do you mean the actual hood??? I know that my hood latch had to be adjusted a couple or three years ago but it rattled. Not the same sound.

The sound is coming from the front and I still think it is something bearing, axle, something like that. Again though.... I will continue to update this site as the ghost hauntings continue and report whether my findings of a ghostbuster/mechanic are successful.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:23 PM
2004 Armada

Maybe it is the tires. Would much rather it be that then anything mechanical. These of course are not the original tires, and in all honesty, I can't really remember how many miles I had on these tires when I started hearing the noise again. I noticed it first with 20 some odd thousand miles and those were original tires. Some many miles later replaced them but again didn't pay any attention to the mileage on my tires when I heard the noise for the first time again (after replacing them). I would have to look at my receipt but from memory I think I probably have about 40 to 45,000 miles on these and are due for a set soon. I am good to keep them balanced and rotated though and probably have about 10,000 miles left.

At least I know the doctor isn't the only one that uses that tool....so maybe they did really do what they said. And again, maybe it isn't mechanical which would explain that in 50,000 miles nothing else has happened or gone wrong, other than the noise becoming more frequent, which could be the tires.................

When I replace my tires after the first of the year I will try a milder tread tire and see, and naturally post what I learn, if anything. I don't off-road and care more about the ride so I don't really have to have the bigger tread anyway.

In all honesty, other than this.... I haven't had any problems with my Armada, other than recall stuff which hasn't been any more than any other car and fortunately didn't have problems with any of the recall items. I had a Nissan Maxima many years ago. My brother had a Titan truck. We have all had good luck and have been very pleased. My mother had a Pathfinder however, that mechanical part was great but within a few months her front windows would go down on their own. Locked, alarm on, everything... look out the window and periodically they would be down. It wasn't the key fob or her pushing any buttons (as you know if you hold down the unlock button on the Pathfinder and Armada key fobs it will roll your front windows down for you). They couldn't find the issue, basically told her it was haunted and she traded it for a Lincoln Navigator. She didn't feel safe having a car that she parked, locked and had the alarm on only to find when she returned the windows were down.

I am suppose to meet the mechanic tonight and he is going to drive my car and see what he thinks. I will keep you posted.

BTW, I am not hold enough to drive a Buick yet!!! Ha..ha...

Merry Christmas......

Tags
mph, noise, roar, slight, vibration