Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Need help deciphering how much I can tow Forums > > Need help deciphering how much I can tow Need help deciphering how much I can tow
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Armada Nissan Armada Discussion Forum

Old 05-18-2017, 07:33 AM
2015 Armada

Angry Need help deciphering how much I can tow

Hi there!
New Armada owner here. Liking the car a lot so far!. BUT, strong dislike for the dealership we used and not impressed with Nissan over all right now.

In addition to a few issues we have had already (some serious) we still have one outlying question that nobody under the sun seems to be able to answer!
How much can my vehicle tow.
It's a 2015 SV Armada.
** Window sticker at purchase was vague
** Salesman completely unknowledgeable - ALL Armadas tow 9000lbs (no they don't)
** Call to a corporate office in CA - ALL Armadas tow 9100lbs (no they don't)
** Sticker on my door says : 7249lbs GVWR. (with GAWR FR and RR at 3699 and 4299 respectively)
** Manual with the vehicle says SV is 6500lbs without towing package and 9000 with towing package.
** Call to Nissan Customer service says 8500lbs

SO - we are (understandably) very frustrated with Nissan right now and their lack of knowledge and vehicle traceability.

I have tried to look up the info deciphering the VIN - no go
My Traverse came with manufacturing codes that listed these things, nothing on the Nissan. Some folks say if you have a transmission temperature readout you have the towing package, some say that's standard. Some say If you have the towing button you have the package, but others say that's standard too (which I would think they both are standard as you can tow no matter what with this vehicle - it's just how much)

Can anyone help me find out IF this vehicle has a towing package or not.
It seems to be one of the worlds great mysteries right now!

Thanks!
Sincerely - Frustrated!

(on a side note I am SO happy to have found an Armada forum! I was in one for my traverse and it was so helpful to connect with others for information. I look forward to spending some time here)
Old 05-18-2017, 11:22 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaBailey81 View Post
** Manual with the vehicle says SV is 6500lbs without towing package and 9000 with towing package.
I think that says it all.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:06 PM
2015 Armada

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyb53 View Post
I think that says it all.
Ok....agree...but which do I have? This is what we are trying to figure out. Does my vehicle have the package or Not? Nobody can tell us.

And just to add more...i should trust the manual over the mfg door sticker?
Old 05-21-2017, 09:52 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Aah roger that "Frustraded." I can't tell what you have. If you post pics of rear bumper folks can tell you. You didn't mention about the door decal and what it says about towing. But there are tell tale signs if you have the tow package. Just look at your rear bumper if you see the receiver hitch, wiring harness. If these are installed, chances are your vehicle is equipped with the Tow Package.

Furthermore, if you purchase this vehicle New the Window Sticker in addition to Standard Factory installed equipment, it will also list any Optional Equipment installed.
happy towing
Old 05-21-2017, 01:14 PM
2015 Armada

Thanks!
Door sticker is posted above and is yet another value (7249lbs)
Tow hitch and wiring it does have but I was told this is standard on all Armadas because even without a towing package it can still take 6500lbs and tow. I was also told the tow button inside is standard.
Also do not have original window sticker as it was purchased used.
Are ya with me on the frustration now? Is it 6500? 7249? Or 9000? Lbs. LOL
Old 05-21-2017, 06:27 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaBailey81 View Post
Tow hitch and wiring it does have
You do have the Tow Package. End of discussion, Capice, Adios, Sayonara, hasta la vista
Old 05-22-2017, 03:24 AM
2015 Armada

Alrighty then....
Thanks....ummm...for the help
Old 05-25-2017, 01:34 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

GAWR and GVWR are different than your tow rating. GAWR is the specific weight determined by the manufacturer to be the maximum allowable weight that can be placed on an individual axle. Front and rear axles have individual gross axle weight ratings. GVWR is the maximum operating weight/mass of a vehicle as specified by the manufacturer including the vehicle's chassis, body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers and cargo but excluding that of any trailers.
The Tow Package for a 2015 Armada SV consists of a receiver hitch, 7-pin wiring harness plug and a brake controller jumper wire.
Your vehicle should have come with a Towing Manual. If not, you can download it here and should answer many of your questions:

https://owners.nissanusa.com

Your Owner's Manual lists the tow ratings for your vehicle, which you already stated.

Last edited by smj999smj; 05-25-2017 at 01:37 AM.

Tags
deciphering, tow