Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Brake Problems Forums > > Brake Problems Brake Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Armada Nissan Armada Discussion Forum

Old 05-12-2010, 10:56 AM
brian ferguson

Default Brake failure

I have had the same thing happen to my 2004 Armada twice in the last 6 months. Once in the rain and once on dry pavement. Brake light comes on, there is a metal on metal grinding and the vehicle won't stop.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:17 PM
tino454ss

I had the same problems with my 2004 armada, brakes would make a noise as if the abs was being activated, and brake light would come on. Then i would turn ignition off and it would problem would go away. This started to happen when i went to ceramic front brake pads. I have since went back to semi-metallic and have not a problem since.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:21 AM
Cpointpond

Exclamation Problems 1 1/2 later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpointpond View Post
I posted in 2008: My 05 Nissan Armada has been having the same . . . .while driving, my brakes make a crunching noise and do not give full braking power when I am stopping. Sometimes the red dashboard Brake light will come on . . other times, it does not. The brake problem will continue until I turn off the car. It has done this about 5 times . .all times out of warranty . . .and it has been happening in intervals about 3-4 weeks. My computer is not showing any codes, so the service dept is telling me that the service bullentin doesn't apply and they will look into it further. If anyone has anything that seemed to do the trick, please post. It is definitely a safety issue w/ the car.
Never followed up here, but the dealership updated the computer software and that appeared to do the trick until today. Same crunching sound, poor braking ability, same brake light warning light on:(. I pulled off, shut down the car and the problem reappeared 3 miles down the road. SOOO, pulled off, shut down the car, and drove carefully without further problems for that trip. I am JUST SO EXCITED to jump into this car with 4 kids. (SARCASM- just in case). Anyone have any fixes that appear to be more permanent than my 1 1/2 years?
Old 09-21-2010, 07:50 PM
head1644

Very strange my 2008 Armada is doing the same thing?? Brake light, metal grinding, spring like sound when releasing the brake. Then you turn it off and every thing is back to normal. It seems this same problem has been going on for years according to all of the posts. Will Nissian ever do any thing about this? My first brake issue started this weekend,,, Can someone please help?
Old 09-22-2010, 03:42 AM
Cpointpond

Default 2005 Armada Brake Problems

Here is my story with my 2005 Nissan Armada and unfortuntely it still continues

The issue/problem: The brake light comes on. When brakes are used, there is decreased braking power. The brakes make a crunching, springy noise with the pedal being extremely soft until it gets closer to the floor and begins to give braking power. When ignition is turned off, the problem resolves at least temporarily. When the engine has turned off, I have had the problem reoccur as soon as 5 minutes and as long as 31 months. I made a video of one of the 2010 instances @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmtpofDbJR8

I first experienced the braking problem back in 3/06 with ~12,000 miles on the vehicle. The dealer was not able to duplicate the issue, but it had happened to me 3-4 times prior to getting it to the dealer. During the visit, they performed the judder brake bulletin service. The description of the judder brake bullentin did not seem to fit my problem, but the car no longer had the issue.

Then the issue reoccurred at ~46,000 miles in 10/08. Again the brakes did not have full power for 3-5 times prior to getting it to the dealer. I was able to demonstrate the problem to my local mechanic, but when he shut down the engine, the problem resolved. I returned the car to the dealer. The computer did not have any repair codes stored, but they performed TSB 06-040. I was told they did a computer software update.

The car was fine until 6/25/10 when the problem reoccurred. It occurred three times throughout the day. I started tracking the occurrences: 6/27 x 1, 6/28 x1. I made a appointment with the service manager at the dealership on 6/29. My concern was an appropriate fix for the problem as well as assistance with a warranty extension. I kept the car and it reproduced the problem 7/1 and 7/[email protected] 70,697miles. I made arrangements to allow them to take the car and get a loaner so that they could hopefully reproduce the problem. Since the service manager was on vacation, I did not switch the car out until 7/15. I had put on ~1,000 miles between 7/4 - 7/15/10 but no further instances of the braking problem. I did put a video up on youtube to show exactly what was happening with the car for the service manager.

There was another video describing the same exact problem I experience at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAYu1NOgQ_0 ; and there are many boards filled with similar stories (ie. http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-918.html). ; Because of my long time periods between episodes, I am sure it is not easy to diagnose . . .nor do I believe there is an easy fix.

The dealership had the vehicle for 3+ weeks from 7/15. I was told they completed two software updates. ( I could not ascertain from them whether these were 2 different versions or the same version update). The service rep said he hoped that the problem was resolved.

On September 2. 2010 @ 72,449 miles, the instance of crunching, springing sound from the brakes, brake light on, and this time just slight reduction in braking power existed rather than the previous 75%. Since I had a car load of kids, I opted to pull over and "reset" the vehicle.

My suggestion to you is to file a complaint at Office of Defects Investigation (ODI), File A Safety Complaint via the online form. Someone from the government did contact me after I reported . . .not sure if it went anywhere though.

I would suggest getting the car to the dealership without turning off the engine when it occurs.

I think Nissan is shoving this under the carpet. Good luck and please post any suggestions that you may have.

My car is proof that software updates DO NOT fix the problem so please drive carefully!

Last edited by Cpointpond; 09-22-2010 at 04:46 AM. Reason: more descript
Old 10-02-2010, 06:37 PM
jeepdad

Subscribed... Mine just did this yesterday. When I got home from the short trip which this problem occurred, I went back out to check it out, and guess what? It was fine, no problems.

Turning the vehicle off and back on, the problem went away (temporarily I guess)
Old 10-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Cpointpond

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdad View Post
Subscribed... Mine just did this yesterday. When I got home from the short trip which this problem occurred, I went back out to check it out, and guess what? It was fine, no problems.

Turning the vehicle off and back on, the problem went away (temporarily I guess)

Please post if it reoccurs and frequency and any fixes other than a software update (I've given up on that one). . .mine was anywhere from 5 minutes to almost 3 years:(.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:00 AM
kitty91303

same problem here but no answers sadly
Old 02-09-2011, 06:04 AM
kitty91303

i did that report to nhtsa alss & the ftc and the BBB
Old 02-09-2011, 06:16 AM
Cpointpond

Thanks for posting. Let us know here if it reoccurs and any troubleshooting you do. My last episode was 9/10. Sometimes up to 2 years between episodes.l
Old 06-10-2012, 03:31 PM
2004 Armada

Angry Break Problems

I have a 2004 Armada. i have been to the dealership 3 times in the last 6 months for a break problem. At low speed my break light goes on and my breaks grab and let go. The dealership can not find anything wrong but the problem continues. In the past 2 days this break problem has happened at least once a day. The only fix is for me to stop the truck, wait a minute then it goes away. I just glad it has not been on a busy highway or a sudden traffic light. What is the fix? I have heard some people say a break booster?
Old 06-15-2012, 12:21 PM
2006 Armada

Hello! I had the same issue where my brake light warning light would come without notice and I'd hear a weird grinding & spring-like brake sound. It'd reset itself once I shut the vehicle off. There is a service bulletin re: this on the NHTSA.gov website. The dealership found it to be code C1179 delta sensor and reprogrammed the computer software. I haven't had any problems since. I actually was the one who found the answer to the problem and made the dealership aware of the problem and what needed to be done. Hope this helps!!! I understand it's very frustrating!!!
Old 08-14-2012, 03:37 PM
2005 Armada
2001 Xterra

Thumbs down No Help Likely from Nissan unless NHTSA complains

This problem with the brake light coming on? ABS system activating as if on slick road? grinding noise? lack of normal braking power? dangerous situation? been happening for many years?

Yep, it's been happening on 2004-2006 Armadas, Titans, and others but does Nissan care to correct or address the issue? NO! Not a chance!

That is until the NHTSA forces their hand. Everyone please go visit:

Vehicle Safety | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

Please post your complaint with the brake system and your experience and maybe, just maybe, the NHTSA will start investigation and force Nissan to do what they should be capable of doing on their own, but they won't because companies wait these days until someone gets killed and their is a public outcry, a news story, or a government fine or other sanction threatened. Shame on you NISSAN!!!
Old 08-23-2012, 03:19 PM
2005 Armada
2001 Xterra

Site sucks!
Old 09-22-2013, 02:32 PM
2005 Armada
2005 Armada

Default Brake Failure, ABS engaging

I have a 2005 Armada and I had this happen to me on the highway about 5 years ago. I took it to an independent shop, and he found a solution through his online resources. He said that this condition could be fixed by cleaning the contact on the connectors that attach to the brake booster. He got out the contact cleaner, and it did the trick. After 5 years, it didn't ever happen again, until about 5 days ago. I solved the problem by simply turning the car off and on again. It did not set a code. It hasn't happened again since, but I will be cleaning these contacts again.

I hope this helps, as this was a simple fix that worked for quite some time. I believe that intermittent contact could cause these sensor errors that have been reported.