View Full Version : 4th set of Armada rotors

camp170
09-10-2009, 03:46 PM
Hello,
I just picked up my 2006 Armada from the dealership after having the 4th set of rotors installed. The are approx 21700 miles on this vehicle and we are being told the rotors are "delaminating" because it is not driven enough. The vehicle is driven every couple days just not for long distances. We have not had to pay for the 3 sets of rotors after the originals warped but we had been thinking about buying this when the lease is up in 8 months. I guess I should ask Nissan what the suggested minimal mileage per month I should drive to keep my rotors in good shape. Anybody else have this sort of problem.

streamcast
09-12-2009, 05:40 PM
If the vehicle is sitting alot and you are in a salt state or province you need to have your brakes serviced every 3 - 4 months to prevent rust buildup and pads seizing in the brackets. you should drive the vehicle every day to allow the brakes to burnish/break in properly 10 - 20 km.

nisrjz
04-17-2010, 07:10 AM
This sounds like a lot of nonsense. Rotors don't "delaminate". Perhaps they were tellling you that the brake pads are delaminating...that MIGHT make sense. I would go along with the brake pistons possibly seizing, thus the brake pads do not retract and the rotos wear.
It all sounds a little bizarre though, if you drive the car even one day a week.

mpe235
04-17-2010, 05:17 PM
It is very common for this to happen on vehicles that sit. The rotors rust and pit. When driven daily the brake pads will remove this rust. If the vehicle sits for an extended period the rust get farther than just the surface and you will either have to machine or replace the rotors.

nisrjz
04-18-2010, 11:06 AM
Okay, I stand corrected. I guess I never, in my life, allowed a car to sit that long! However, "delaminated" seems like the wrong term to use, to me.

ekfavart
04-27-2010, 06:05 AM
Hi! I had brake issues with both my 04' and 06' Armada. The manufacturer ended up buying back my 1st Armada and putting me in my 06' with the same loan. I ultimately had 7 brake jobs with the 06' (all before the 36,000 mile brake warranty) and ultimately filed the Lemon Law. Because of info not made aware to me from the dealership, I unfortunately lost the Lemon Law (all because I had the brakes repaired 1 month before the hearing which placed my Armada in a "fixed" status). I continued to have brakes issues until I had a local mechanic put ceramic brake pads in it. There IS still a brake issue with the Armadas...don't let anyone fool you. Inquire into your state's lemon law. Good luck!

nisrjz
04-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Hi! I had brake issues with both my 04' and 06' Armada. The manufacturer ended up buying back my 1st Armada and putting me in my 06' with the same loan. I ultimately had 7 brake jobs with the 06' (all before the 36,000 mile brake warranty) and ultimately filed the Lemon Law. Because of info not made aware to me from the dealership, I unfortunately lost the Lemon Law (all because I had the brakes repaired 1 month before the hearing which placed my Armada in a "fixed" status). I continued to have brakes issues until I had a local mechanic put ceramic brake pads in it. There IS still a brake issue with the Armadas...don't let anyone fool you. Inquire into your state's lemon law. Good luck!

I read your article with interest, because at one point I also got non Nissan
ceramic pads and better rotors on the aftermarket. Still, I need a brake job about every year and a half on the front brakes of this 04 Armada.

Succinctly put, Nissan builds junk and I will never purchase another one.
Fool me once, but never twice! Nissan is playing with its own demise by selling junk,.

ekfavart
04-27-2010, 06:31 PM
Hi! Supposedly, Nissan "fixed" the Armada brake issue beginning with their 06's; however, as I found out, I continued to have brake issues despite the supposed "fix". I empathize with your frustrations...Would love to get a Cadillac SUV...if they weren't so pricey!! :))