Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
keyless start problem Forums > > keyless start problem keyless start problem
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 07-04-2011, 05:28 PM
2013 Altima

This is the switch & the part#....
I bought it at Ebay for $33 shipped
I read from other forums stealer charge around $150 to put on a new one.

Last edited by Aenergy; 07-04-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:55 PM
jkel2000

Was it easy to install?
Old 07-05-2011, 05:38 PM
deacon24

my brake switch cost me $100 to put in...however, it didn't fix the problem. i'm still dealing with this and no one can figure it out
Old 07-18-2011, 12:24 PM
Kankui

New to the site and not much of a mechanical kind of guy, but I thought I would share this with everyone.

I took my LEASED Altima in to the dealership about a week and a half ago because it wasn't starting unless I unlocked the transmission by sticking a screwdriver down into the unlock hole. I drove my hour down (closest one) and they couldn't find the problem after looking at it for MAYBE 10-20 minutes. They wanted me to continue checking it out. So over the weekend, it doesnt turn over at all. Just like everyone else. So I find this site and read what you guys posted (THANKS!) and looked at it and called them this morning about it. They told me they I should call a towing company and they would and bring it down. I said Sounds good, and its on your tab right? "Yes" . SWEET RIGHT? Even better. The Tow guy just left and told me they had a recall on this not to long ago and everyones should have been replaced. But ours wasnt. SO when it comes time to get the bill, I think I might have to bring up the RECALL on it and see how that goes.

Anyway, just had to share. So if you didn't know about it, make sure its covered or check it out before doing it yourself!
Old 07-19-2011, 01:12 PM
Kankui

Talked with the dealer and he said first of that there was NO ETA on the file on when the brake switch and harness to arrive. So who knows how long it could take. THEN when I asked him about the recall, he said there hasn't been one, but probably should be. So I told him I would do some research about it for him.

He said he had to talk with someone about the hours (because they are going to give us another car) and get back with me. He should KNOW the hours and its been about 10-15 minutes... Does that mean he's looking up the recall too?
Old 07-19-2011, 09:27 PM
2012 Altima SE-R

This may not help anybody but my brand new 2012 would not start up and and said no key! I wear my keys on my pants belt loop and the key flob was behind my back as I was sitting down in the car. When I turned the key flob around to my front it started. Just saying.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:33 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2007 Altima
2008 Versa

I have not noticed any problem with where my key fob is with my '07. It is usually in my back pocket.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:26 PM
Kankui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kankui View Post
Talked with the dealer and he said first of that there was NO ETA on the file on when the brake switch and harness to arrive. So who knows how long it could take. THEN when I asked him about the recall, he said there hasn't been one, but probably should be. So I told him I would do some research about it for him.

He said he had to talk with someone about the hours (because they are going to give us another car) and get back with me. He should KNOW the hours and its been about 10-15 minutes... Does that mean he's looking up the recall too?
He finally called me back like 2 hours later. Told me I could come get a car on Thursday after normal work hours. But my mom happened to be coming up and seeing me as well as my dad, so I convinced them to bring it up. Turns out, it was OUR car. Right before my mom got there, they finished fixing our car! AND it was still under warranty, so 0 dollars!
Old 08-01-2011, 02:02 PM
dislar1

Default Our local dealership wants to charge us $500 to fix this

My husband just came from the dealership and he was told that it will cost $500 to replace the faulty brake switch. I refuse to pay that much money for something that clearly should be a recall. Has anyone attempted to do it themselves? Or heard about a recall?
Old 08-08-2011, 03:11 PM
2013 Altima

I couldn't start my car 2 times today.
But I followed the method from #20...Thanks jwells393
(I got down in the floor of the car and depressed the brake pedal with one hand while I operated the button on the switch about 5-10 times)....got back in the car,depress the brake(kind of stiff)...but the car started right up...who knows why...but it really
works in case of emergency,at least u can drive the car home or to the dealer.
After I got home...I changed the switch in 2 mins...very easy.
here how I did it....
turn the switch counterclockwise for 1/4 turn,
then slide the switch out...unplug the harness....
then put the new one back in...make sure this time u turn the switch
clockwise until it's locked. That's it.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:30 PM
1994 370Z Roadster

The same problem has occured to me,who can give me helps ,thanks
Old 08-13-2011, 02:33 PM
2007 Altima

My 2007 Altima went two months without exhibiting any of the previous mentioned symptoms (see my previous Post #20). With mine the first symptom is not being able to shift out of Park. This happened again just this last week. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I opened the door, got down in the floor and depressed the brake pedal with my right hand. With my left hand, I depressed the brake light switch button (the one on the left) and let it snap back. I repeated this about a dozen times. Got back in the car and everything was copacetic.

Depressing the switch button and letting it snap back appears to clean the contacts inside the switch. Sooner or later I may have to replace the switch ......... but maybe not.

Last edited by jwells393; 08-13-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:47 AM
2008 Altima
2008 Altima 2.5 SL

Default Still working!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawkert View Post
Update: Last week I removed the brake switch and immediately noticed there was some black dirt on the plunger tip. I sprayed a couple shots of contact cleaner [using the little straw attached to the sparayer tip] down into the gap in between the tip and the switch body and held it upside down to flush any dirt out. I then pushed the tip in and out multiple times to try to work the cleaner around the contacts inside and gave it some time to drain out and dry. I then followed up with a spray of WD-40 to add any lubrication that I may have cleaned out. I reinstalled the switch and so far have not had a reoccurrence of the problem. Last week the problem was occurring almost every day, so it seems pretty promising that it hasn't reoccurred yet.

One thing to note if you try to remove the switch using the information posted earlier in this thread... the wire harness that plugs into the switch has a little tab on the backside that you will need to push in when you pull out the harness. It didn't come out easy for me, just keep pushing on the tab and pulling gently. I've ruined things like this on my old car by pulling out connectors before checking for a push tab. So be careful!
Thought I'd just give an update here... It's been almost 2 months now without any recurrence of the problem.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:31 AM
2012 Altima SE-R

WD40 is just fine. I have used this alot for brake switch's on my many cars and off road trucks 4X4's where the brake switch gets fouled up. But some contact cleaners do not like plastic, check the can before you use a product
Old 09-06-2011, 10:26 AM
danmck123

I had the above described problem with the stuck ignition switch this morning. Instinctively I slipped my foot under the brake pedal and pulled up. The car started right up.

So it's a stuck switch.