Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Help new 2002 owner engine misfire Forums > > Help new 2002 owner engine misfire Help new 2002 owner engine misfire
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 08-25-2008, 02:39 PM
2002 Altima

Default Help new 2002 owner engine misfire

I had a very slight misfire, checked the pluds and they were original with 67K. I replaced the plugs with NGK's and then it started skipping shortly after. I did check ALL gaps. I then decided to try another set of Bosch platinum plugs and the same misfire, I got a code 0300 using the gas pedal code retrieval method which is randon cylinder misfire. I am getting spark to all 4 plugs as I pulled all 4 out and cranked the engine with the plugs grounded and they had an orange spark. I then took all 4 boots off and checked to make sure the springs inside the boots that connect the coils to the plugs were alright and look at the boots more closely and they appear to be OK. Can a sensor cause this or is it more likely a weak coil, or coils? All the recalls have been dome with the exception of the ECM update and they can't do it with a check engine light on.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:10 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

well the sparks u put in your car are not oem. u want the ngk platnium sparks.by plugs do u mean the coil cause i would say u would need the oem nissan ones.

2002 Maxima GLE Silver on Black
| Berk Intake w/AEM Dryflow | Clear Sidemarker Lights w/PIAA L.E.D|PIAA L.E.D Courtesy and Licence Plate Lights|PIAA White Fogs |Fibre Customs EyeLids | 5% Limo Tint | Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pads |Ebay FSTB|CATTMAN RSB| NWP VIAS Block plate and NWS Spacers| OEM Spoiler | 07 350 z rims on 235/45/18 Goodyear Eagle GT tires| Megan Racing OE-RS Catback |

in training

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT: Subscribe or Donate
Old 08-25-2008, 04:10 PM
2015 Rogue

Does this misfire occur mostly after the car has been sitting after being driven for a while. They have head gasket issues, they leak coolant into the cylinders when the car cools down.

THE ECM PROGRAM CAN BE DONE WITH THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON? iT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE WHETHER THE LIGHT IS ON OR OFF. THE LIGHT WILL GO OFF AFTER THE RECALL AND THEN COME BACK ON WHEN THE MISFIRE REOCCURS.

The dealer is just trying to get you to pay them for something before they do the recall.
By law they have to complete the recall.

I know this can be done. I do them all the time with no problems.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:52 AM
2002 Altima

Misfire is constant, from a cold start and when warmed to running temp. Cold ( sat overnight ) compression was 150 153 152 154. When I bought the car 2 weeks ago I felt what I thought was a slight fuel surge, but now I presume it was a slight miss. The car was getting 31mpg combo driving city and country. Someone mentioned in another misfire post with the same 0300 code they replaced O2 sensors and plugs and I think coils and the problem went away only after letting the car sit over 30 hours to clear the ECM codes. I haven't cleared them but have never seen this have an effect on the performance after repair if the codes were not immediately cleared. After reading all the engine failures, intake manifold, head gasket, and performance issues I feel like a bought a repackaged UGO!

I have little trust in the local dealer, they are more about $$$$$ than integrity. I worked flat rate for a dodge dealer in the early 70's ( yeah I still feel the 70's MOPAR pain ) before going on to join up with the Air Force and retired 10 years ago as Vehicle Ops Officer. I was certified in everything except front end alignment and A/C so I do have background in repair. Problem is diagnostic tools aren't cheap and many are vehicle specific. Any dealer mechanics know the specialty tool kits that are related to year and model specific vehicles. From what I read the dealer has a tool to test the coils, but at their labor rate I may be just as well of as replacing them if that seems to be the issue. I did start of with the NGK platinums new, but they too had a misfire, actually it seems to be very very slightly better with the Bosch platinum 4 plugs. I just don't know where to begin at this point!
Old 08-26-2008, 03:58 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHyankee View Post
Misfire is constant, from a cold start and when warmed to running temp. Cold ( sat overnight ) compression was 150 153 152 154. When I bought the car 2 weeks ago I felt what I thought was a slight fuel surge, but now I presume it was a slight miss. The car was getting 31mpg combo driving city and country. Someone mentioned in another misfire post with the same 0300 code they replaced O2 sensors and plugs and I think coils and the problem went away only after letting the car sit over 30 hours to clear the ECM codes. I haven't cleared them but have never seen this have an effect on the performance after repair if the codes were not immediately cleared. After reading all the engine failures, intake manifold, head gasket, and performance issues I feel like a bought a repackaged UGO!

I have little trust in the local dealer, they are more about $$$$$ than integrity. I worked flat rate for a dodge dealer in the early 70's ( yeah I still feel the 70's MOPAR pain ) before going on to join up with the Air Force and retired 10 years ago as Vehicle Ops Officer. I was certified in everything except front end alignment and A/C so I do have background in repair. Problem is diagnostic tools aren't cheap and many are vehicle specific. Any dealer mechanics know the specialty tool kits that are related to year and model specific vehicles. From what I read the dealer has a tool to test the coils, but at their labor rate I may be just as well of as replacing them if that seems to be the issue. I did start of with the NGK platinums new, but they too had a misfire, actually it seems to be very very slightly better with the Bosch platinum 4 plugs. I just don't know where to begin at this point!
There really is no dealer tool to test the coils. Using the method in the service manual isn't much help either. I have found that the best way to try to isolate a coil problem is to use a scope and compare the pattern on each cylinder. I would definately switch back to the NGK's. I have seen several cars come in with the bosch platinums and have a misfire caused by those plugs. For some reason nissans just don't like them.
You may want to pull the connector off of the cam and crank sensors to see if oil is coming through either sensor. The crank sensor is what detects a misfire so it's worth taking a look at it. Also the cam sensor is the same part # as the crank sensor. Both have had issues with oil passing through them. The cam sensor misreading could cause driveability symptoms.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:54 AM
2002 Altima

Well replaced the ignition coils, and put the NGK plugs back in. The car still has a misfire, I looked in the plug tubes and 1-2-4 cylinder have a light brown coating on the piston and a bright spot directly below the tube where I assume the plug is firing. Number 3 cylinder is all black, but the compression is good and I saw no metal shavings in any cylinders. The car has had all recalls except ECM and something to do with the rear suspension I believe. I have to assume the sensors were replaced on recall and I see no oil coming from the connection plugs on the sensors. I did not pull the connecter plug off the cam sensor because the harness was very tight. I also smell an odor from the front of the engine and I believe its the cat, but with the engine misfiring wouldn't the cat smell or is it possible the cat is going bad? I sprayed carb cleaner around the intake and no vacuum leaks there either. How do I clear the codes without a scanner, I hear differing opinions. One is turn on the key and hold the gas pedal down for at least 10 seconds. Second disconnect the battery for 30 hours, third just disconnect the battery for 5 minutes. The only code is P0300 randon engine midfire. I also found that Advance auto gave me NGK LFR5A-11 instead of NGK PLFR5A-11 platinum plugs, will this make it run with a misfire?

I am at a loss, would one of the sensors cause a spark timing issue or could I have a wiring problem. Are any of these common? I bought the car about 3 weeks ago and my wife already wants to trade it because she has to drive 50 miles a day in a remote area with spotty cell coverage and she is losing faith after reading all the problems. I don't want to lose 2 or 3 grand trading it in. It also has a clutch pedal problem, periodically the pedal sticks about 3 inches from the floor and has to be lifted up by foot and is OK for about 20 shifts. I owned 2 Saturns that went 200K no problems and they were inexpensive cars. Nissan really needs a lawsuit manufacturing cars like this and leaving consumers hanging. First words out of the service managers mouth when I called was you most likely have a bad cylinder, I said what makes you say that with 67K? he said anything is possible, but why say this if it isn't a common issue? They also deny any issues with converters, or butterfly valves. I think I'm starting to have mental health issues, I'm having nightmares of a 2002 Altima trying to run me over!

Last edited by NHyankee; 08-29-2008 at 08:08 AM.

Tags
2002, engine, misfire, owner