Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Ignition Coil Problem Forums > > Ignition Coil Problem Ignition Coil Problem
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 10-05-2018, 10:46 PM
2002 Maxima
2002 Altima Sedan

Did you read the previous threads? I just posted an alternate solution, one nobody has thought of or mentioned ever. Search ignition condenser relay. Nobody can just tell you with certainty what is it . Save yourself some time, replace the ignition condenser coil. Is a relay in your main engine harness specifically on upper bank 2. 220k miles on my maxima and 880%
Old 05-01-2020, 08:30 PM
2005 Altima Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrawolf89 View Post
Well so I have the answer to everyones question. Took tearing out every engine wire harness to find it, but I found what courtesse Nissan parts tells me is an IGNITION CONDENSER COIL . LOOK IT UP, ITS EMBEDDED IN YOUR WIRE HARNESS IN PARALLEL WITH THE FUEL INJECTORS BUT RIGHT INSIDE THE ACTUAL WIRING HARNESS ON TOP OF THE BLOCK. IF YOU REMOVE ALL THE TAPE AND INSULATION, YOU'LL FIND A RELAY COIL WITH PROBABLY NO PART NUMBER LIKE MINE, BUT DID HAVE NISSAN EMBLEM OR LOGO THING AS WELL AS A CAPACITANCE BENCHMARK NUMBER OF .46 OHMS I THINK. IT IS FAILED I GUARANTEE IT. IF YOU LOOK UP THIS PART YOU'LL FIND IT TO BE TRUE BUT NOT MUCH INFORMATION IN FIELD SERVICE MANUAL ABOUT IT. IN FACT IT'S PRETTY MUCH NOT TALKED ABOUT EXCEPT ONE TIME AND NOT EVEN DIRECTLY. NISSAN SENTRA IS ALSO HAVE THIS AND I BET THAT A LOT OF NEWER VEHICLES ALSO STILL HAVE THEM TO. I CAN POST PICTURES OF WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE BUT THE PART NUMBER IS 28360U. NISSAN PARTS HAS IT AND IT'S $7-10. YOURE WELCOME. V6 ALSO CHECK ANY WIRES WITH MARKINGS WITH SILVER GASHES ON THE WIRES THOSE ARE INDICATING PART OF IGNITION CIRCUIT SPECIFICALLY BLACK WITH SILVER STRIPES OR DOTS ARE THE IGNITION GROUND WIRES.
BRO!! YOU ARE RIGHT!! hopefully lol. I had the ground wire that ran from the negative battery terminal to the tranny break off and fry the ECU and kept blowing the ign fuse. I get a brand new OEM Nissan ECU and take it to the dealership to get programmed. They try it immediately and say the car needs a new wiring harness. I take the car home and look under the engine cover and see that the technician at the dealer has split the harness loom wide open along the top of the motor. And what do I see a completely melted and shorted out IGNITION COIL CONDENSOR! I'll be changing it out and hope that it solves the problem.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:32 PM
2002 Maxima
2002 Altima Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxmil982 View Post
BRO!! YOU ARE RIGHT!! hopefully lol. I had the ground wire that ran from the negative battery terminal to the tranny break off and fry the ECU and kept blowing the ign fuse. I get a brand new OEM Nissan ECU and take it to the dealership to get programmed. They try it immediately and say the car needs a new wiring harness. I take the car home and look under the engine cover and see that the technician at the dealer has split the harness loom wide open along the top of the motor. And what do I see a completely melted and shorted out IGNITION COIL CONDENSOR! I'll be changing it out and hope that it solves the problem.
Yay glad u got it sorted. Honestly it's major bull shit that is not even mentioned but 1 single time in over 2000 pages of my own service manual. Funny thing is it's in every Nissan from what I was seeing, at least the v6 ones anyway. I think it's something that used to be more common in checking back on the 90s generations and eventually in copy pasting everything to vq35de generation of engine-- it just got omitted.
It's literally a small capacitor. So if it's bad, you'll get miss fires, probably draining battery, burned up coils, and a stealership will be laughing you too and from the bank over and over while they replace EVERYTHING but the part needed.
Here's the part number. And run an extra battery to ground wire, doesn't matter the size cable ultimately, just precaution.
I read somewhere 50% of problems derive from battery/charging issues or general electrical problems overall in automobiles.
Sry to hear about your ecu. Find a different shop and change your oil every 3k religiously yourself. Timing chain issues or piston ring damage basically the only two speed bumps for these cars.

Pn
28351-89902
$7-8

Tags
coil, ignition, problem