Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Ignition Coil Problem Forums > > Ignition Coil Problem Ignition Coil Problem
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 08-17-2012, 08:42 AM
2006 Altima

Well at this point I have had all the coils replaced. Some of the old ones had started to melt and others didn't. The car is running fine but reading everyone's responses is making me nervous and now every little bump I feel makes me think it's happening again. Should I tell my mechanic about what some of you have found out in your experiences? Shouldn't he have known something like that already and checked for it? Shouldn't that small computer they hook-up under the dash have told them (with a code) there was a problem besides the ignition coil especially after he fixed the coils and recheck?
Old 08-27-2015, 05:26 AM
2004 Maxima

Default I too have melted coils, need advice😓

I have a 2004 Maxima,was running very rough and check engine light was on. Took it to an independent shop, who says at least three of the coils are melted. Am having a guy replace them next week. Question is, if I just replace the negative battery cable (and coils), should that suffice, or is there more that I should replace along with that negative cable? Also, should I go ahead and replace all six coils, or just the known burnt ones? Thanks in advance for your assistance!
Old 08-28-2015, 03:05 AM
Enthusiast
2005 Altima SE-R
2005 SE R Altima

Check if you have a short somewhere in the system & check the grounds also , can help you out somehow .
Newer ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima ,NismoCAI/CatBack , OBX Headers ,RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi ,Red Lion Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC Ft RedStuff Pads/EBC Rotors , 06+ 350Z Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
Old 04-18-2016, 09:19 AM
2005 Murano
2005 Murano

Default 2005 murano burnt coils

I'm having the same problem with my Murano all six coils have burnt at one time or another with koeo .Ive replaced the coils tested the grounds taken the harness apart and tested all the circuits back to the computer. I've read a lot of posts and no one seems to have figured it out
Old 05-19-2016, 04:54 AM
2008 Pathfinder
2005 Altima Sedan

I have NISSAN Pathfinder 2008, 4.0 Litres, 6 Cylinders. Six months ago, 08 Coils burnt in 3 days. I found Negative Battery Terminal loose and changed the Battery and fixed that. Car worked fine for 06 months.
now again I have same issue. 03 coils burnt, changed, after 4 days now 04 coils burnt. changed all 04, gave second direct ground to Engine. Started the engine, 02 coils gone with in 01 min.
Can anyone suggest the solution?
Old 05-19-2016, 06:13 AM
2005 Murano
2005 Murano

After eating nine ignition coils and realizing the wires coming the computer were fully grounded ,I instructed my customer that he should take it to the dealer to buy a computer and have it programmed . the dealer then told him he must replace wiring harness ,all six coils again,and computer,with the possibility that there would probably be other sensors.The starting bid $3800.00 . The cure back to auction and no more nissans, replace everything and somethings gotta fix it, never again
Old 05-19-2016, 06:34 AM
2008 Pathfinder
2005 Altima Sedan

Do you think that the other sensors are malfunctioning too ? I have fixed the Negative wire last time 06 months ago and that resolved the issue. Can you please suggest?
Old 05-19-2016, 07:06 AM
2005 Murano
2005 Murano

The coil drivers are burnt in my computer and I don't know that that is you're problem . But Nissan telling my customer to replace everything tells me that they don't know whats wrong either. I tested the harness from all ends and tested and added grounds . This is a huge problem according to many other boardas and posts in high end diagnostic forums .My 2005 isn't worth $3800 more in repairs, better for parts.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:17 AM
2008 Pathfinder
2005 Altima Sedan

I am in saudi arabia and the huge problem is to find a sensible and educated (car knowledge) mechanic.
Most the electricians are recommending me to REPAIR THE COMPUTER BOX (re install the deivers and all).
And replace all the Ignition coils to new.
I just fixed the negative terminal of battery last time, 06 months ago and it worked perfectly fine
Old 07-31-2018, 01:38 PM
2005 Sentra

Default 2002 Sentra frying coils

My Sentra is frying coils, and it is always the #4.....
Old 07-31-2018, 03:42 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchclar View Post
Check the ground wire to make sure it is connected to the transmission case.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:23 PM
2005 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchclar View Post
If it's always the same coil, could you have a bad connector?
Old 09-19-2018, 07:27 PM
2002 Maxima
2002 Altima Sedan

Well so I have the answer to everyones question. Took tearing out every engine wire harness to find it, but I found what courtesse Nissan parts tells me is an IGNITION CONDENSER COIL . LOOK IT UP, ITS EMBEDDED IN YOUR WIRE HARNESS IN PARALLEL WITH THE FUEL INJECTORS BUT RIGHT INSIDE THE ACTUAL WIRING HARNESS ON TOP OF THE BLOCK. IF YOU REMOVE ALL THE TAPE AND INSULATION, YOU'LL FIND A RELAY COIL WITH PROBABLY NO PART NUMBER LIKE MINE, BUT DID HAVE NISSAN EMBLEM OR LOGO THING AS WELL AS A CAPACITANCE BENCHMARK NUMBER OF .46 OHMS I THINK. IT IS FAILED I GUARANTEE IT. IF YOU LOOK UP THIS PART YOU'LL FIND IT TO BE TRUE BUT NOT MUCH INFORMATION IN FIELD SERVICE MANUAL ABOUT IT. IN FACT IT'S PRETTY MUCH NOT TALKED ABOUT EXCEPT ONE TIME AND NOT EVEN DIRECTLY. NISSAN SENTRA IS ALSO HAVE THIS AND I BET THAT A LOT OF NEWER VEHICLES ALSO STILL HAVE THEM TO. I CAN POST PICTURES OF WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE BUT THE PART NUMBER IS 28360U. NISSAN PARTS HAS IT AND IT'S $7-10. YOURE WELCOME. V6 ALSO CHECK ANY WIRES WITH MARKINGS WITH SILVER GASHES ON THE WIRES THOSE ARE INDICATING PART OF IGNITION CIRCUIT SPECIFICALLY BLACK WITH SILVER STRIPES OR DOTS ARE THE IGNITION GROUND WIRES.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:33 PM
2002 Maxima
2002 Altima Sedan

Sorry forgot to mention this is located on bank 2 and or on my vq35de. I'm on my phone and having trouble uploading pictures but mine was corroded and looked like somebody puked on it lol. 210k miles on my Maxima and I caught the bug after I bought it from someone. This can also be seen on scanner tool as I I was noticing misfiring and engine knock issues probably related to detonation from quillbacks. Found a couple coil packs faulty from this issue. I also found my knock sensor wiring harness to be almost destroyed. Both harnesses had Bowie m protection covers over them and most of the original tape. some of the wiring harnesses that were covered in tape in these cars has since gotten brake fluid oil Etc and deteriorated to the point where inside or under the tape it is now liquefied. Any wires with insulation like this need to be repaired. If you don't know how to do this you're going to have a hard time finding a shop to do it. They do sell engine wire harness sections that you can replace called egi sub harnesses. Good luck Godspeed
Old 10-05-2018, 03:50 PM
2005 Maxima

After doing a tune up (changing the ignitions coils and spark plugs) my 2005 Nissan Maxima SE is burning the #1 coil and plowing the ignition fuse. After replacing the coil and fuse the car will start but s soon as it get hot it blows the ignition fuse. Can someone please tell me what is wrong with my car and provide me with some assistance. Thank you.?

Last edited by Darkshadow113; 10-05-2018 at 04:19 PM.

Tags
coil, ignition, problem