Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Altima '03 High idle after a routine throttle body cleanup Forums > > Altima '03 High idle after a routine throttle body cleanup Altima '03 High idle after a routine throttle body cleanup
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 06-11-2012, 12:37 AM
2001 370Z Coupe
2006 350Z

Default nice information

How kind you are! This post is very excellent.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:39 AM
Enthusiast
2003 Altima
2003 Nissan Altima 2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlzAlti View Post
6. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL stops blinking and turns ON.
7. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the MIL goes off. Start engine and let it idle. THE ENGINE MUST BE STARTED WITHIN THE 3 SECONDS AFTER IT STOPS BLINKING, THATS HOW THIS LIGHT GOES OFF.

Aloha Alitma PR,
Have an 04 Altima and have a question on the procedure step 6 and 7. For step 6 - With my MIL light on steady, Am i suppose to see it blink (from steady ON) and then stay ON?
For step 7 - If MIL stays ON from step 6, how long is it suppose to take for MIL to go off?
After a couple times going through the procedure, I was able to get MIL light to blink at step 6, but got messed up at step 7. Started over and over and over again and up to this point I couldn't get the MIL to blink again.
For step 6 - Yes, it should stop blinking to a steady on.

For step 7 - Just release the pedal after it's stops blinking to a steady on, then crank your engine. It should rev up by itself, then go down to a steady low RPM (about 650RPM). This is where you're done and should start smiling.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:11 PM
2002 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltimaPR View Post
My '03 Altima lost the regulated idle RPM after I cleaned the throttle body bore. It is running around 1300RPM in neutral. I have been reading that after a routine cleanup of this part, it may be necessary to make the CPU "re-learn" the correct RPM by clearing codes and engine on/off, accelerator pedal in-out routine. Can I perform a DTC code clear without a code scanner tool (unplug battery, etc?) and/or perform the necessary CPU learn routine using a normal "garage toolbox"?

Thanks
Rick
just changed throttle body on 2002 altima 3.5 afterwards car ran rough needed relearn i used my obd11/eobd scanner clear codes and now runs like new
Old 06-22-2012, 08:01 PM
2004 Altima Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltimaPR View Post
For step 6 - Yes, it should stop blinking to a steady on.

For step 7 - Just release the pedal after it's stops blinking to a steady on, then crank your engine. It should rev up by itself, then go down to a steady low RPM (about 650RPM). This is where you're done and should start smiling.

Aloha Altima PR, Got it to stop blinking to a steady on and cranked the engine, but the idle didn't go down. Idle still pulsating (high 1.5K -2K to normal (650)). Tried it about 5 times, but no results. Anything else you recommend I should try OR just keep trying.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:37 PM
Enthusiast
2003 Altima

I have a 2003 3.5 V6 that had the same dreaded idle issue after replacing the spak plugs and cleaning the Throttle Body.... Just messing with it one day, used my OBD II reader to clear the codes, then disconnected the Throttle Body and Mass Air Flow Sensors, started the car for a few seconds and let the SES light come back on, cleared the codes re-connected both the TB and Mass Air Flow Sensor and the car went back to its normal idle and the SES light did not come back on. During this, the car was at it's normal operating temp and I did drive it for about 10 minutes after.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:47 AM
2004 Altima Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdude11 View Post
I have a 2003 3.5 V6 that had the same dreaded idle issue after replacing the spak plugs and cleaning the Throttle Body.... Just messing with it one day, used my OBD II reader to clear the codes, then disconnected the Throttle Body and Mass Air Flow Sensors, started the car for a few seconds and let the SES light come back on, cleared the codes re-connected both the TB and Mass Air Flow Sensor and the car went back to its normal idle and the SES light did not come back on. During this, the car was at it's normal operating temp and I did drive it for about 10 minutes after.
Thanks ratdude11. :D
I also tried this: Sparky's Answers: 2004 Nissan Altima, P0507 Surging / High Idle.
From Sparky: "The first time I tried this it took at least twenty times before I got all of the preconditioning steps completed. I have also since found out it is much easier if you have a clock (with a large second hand) in the car with you. The P0507 must be the only code stored. The engine and transmission must be fully warmed up. The idle speed must be below 1000 rpms or none of the steps will work. That is the reason for disconnecting the two injectors. If you mess up anywhere along the way you have to go back to the very first step and start over. There is also a chance that your throttle body assembly could be faulty."
Tried it. Didn't work. I gave in and went to Dealer. $500+ later everything's OK. :(
Old 08-19-2012, 09:52 PM
2005 GTR

I had to replace the throttle body. Well, I also followed the market to get the idle RPM of step. My car bumps all over the place.
Not only heroes used to wear Men's Hooded Leather Jacket but also villains used to wear cwmalls.com fox fur collar leather jacket them to show a naughty and negative side of the character they played.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:06 PM
2005 Altima Sedan
2003 Altima Sedan

Just found this link today after cleaning the throttle body on a 2003 Altima 4 cylinder and having the idle surge issue when I restarted it yesterday. Found the outline posted by Altima PR and followed it several times before I was successful. My situation was engine light always on so I wasn't sure if it would blink as noted in step #6. On the earlier tries it did not flicker from being lit steady. I noticed that step #5 seemed to be my hang up, with waiting 7 seconds after depressing and releasing pedal 5 times. I was either depressing the pedal too early or too late in step #6 but once I got it right, the SES began blinking after about 9 seconds then went solid on. After that, I followed the procedure and it worked like a charm. The idle speed came down to around 600rpm and stopped searching. All is well again. I think the SES will reset after 25 or more key cycles on and off like driving back and forth to work. I had some misfire codes previously due to coils dropping and after I replaced them the engine light went off after a few days driving and hasn't come on since You can't just cycle the ignition sitting there because I'm not sure if you have to allow a certain amount of on time or off time between the ignition being turned on or off. The ECU may store codes in past history even if the light goes off which will require a scan tool to clear them once and for all. I don't know of a sequence to manually erase codes like disconnecting battery or removing ECU fuse that works on some other makes. If any out there knows a way to wipe out codes without a scan tool I'd welcome the input. Thanks to all who contributed to this issue in the past, it really helped.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:54 PM
Enthusiast
2003 Altima
2003 Nissan Altima 2.5

Wow,

It's been many years since the original post and I'm sincerely happy you were able to solve your issue. I sold the car a few years back, it was a good, solid, comfortable 4-cylinder car. no regrets.

Happy 2017 to all.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:27 AM
2005 Altima Sedan
2003 Altima Sedan

Thanks again. Hope you're still dispensing helpful experiences. Best to you in 2017!

Tags
altima, body, cleanup, high, idle, routine, throttle