Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Altima '03 High idle after a routine throttle body cleanup Forums > > Altima '03 High idle after a routine throttle body cleanup Altima '03 High idle after a routine throttle body cleanup
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 08-08-2008, 01:43 PM
02AltimaOwner

I think I am having a similar problem and wanted to run this all by you.

Two weekends ago, I cleaned the throttle body on my 02 Altima 2.5 with some carb cleaner. It was filthy.

After I finished cleaning it, my car would start and do the following:

In park, would rev up to 2500 rpms or so and drop down to around 1200 rpms and cycle through continuously. I then took it out on the road and drove it for about 15 minutes to see if I could "work out the kinks". No help.

My car is still revving up and dropping and recycling through over and over. Also, when I drive and hit the 30-40 mph area and let off the accelerator, my car doesn't decrease in speed and instead stays at the same speed. It also gets a little jerky/sluggy when I left off the gas at other speeds. Almost like a quasi downshifting feel.

Went to my local dealer and they said that I screwed up using traditional carb cleaner and probably ruined my sensor. But for the part ($160) and the relearning ($150), they can make me good as new.

First, I am an idiot. So, I freely admit that it is quite possible that I screwed up here. Do you guys think I screwed up using traditional carb cleaner?

I havent tried to relearn the throttle body and will try that today. If that doesnt work, I am going to have to buy the part and then I will try to relearn it on my own without paying the $150.

I am looking to get some feedback from you all, especially since my car is acting slightly different as it isnt maintaining a high RPM in park/neutral like you guys, but fluctuating instead.

For what its worth, my check engine light is on.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:29 PM
02AltimaOwner

Thanks everyone.

I followed the directions in this thread and after a couple of times of going through it, I was able to get it fixed.

I forgot how quiet my car used to be and now it sounds like new.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:10 AM
Enthusiast
2003 Altima
2003 Nissan Altima 2.5

You're welcome Ashtonad. After three years, you really did get your car back. All I can say is WOW....It's is gratifying to learn others did benefit from one's experience. It makes this forum one of the best self-help resources around for Nissan owners.

Rick
Old 11-06-2008, 03:22 AM
2003 Maxima

Hi guys, thanks for the above information. I tried it as my OBD indicated a 'high idle' and it works. However, my problem remains so I took it to a dealership for an assessment and reset and they stated that the following needs replacing.

1. Electronic control engine mounts
2. ECM module
3. Idle valve

The dealership estimated a cost a $2800-$3000 for the parts and labour to fix the high idle as it was being caused by a defective engine mount and ECM.

Has anyone heard of this before? Using the above steps, I am able to reset my idle to spec but when I turn off the car and restart it, the idle speed goes back to 1000rpm.

thanks in advance...
Old 11-06-2008, 01:11 PM
nissanparts1

I can't find any paperwork to back me up on this, but all the tech's here tell me that if you spray Carb cleaner in the throttle body to clean it, it WILL ruin the throttle body!!! They say to put carb cleaner on a rag and clean it that way rather then spraying it IN the throttle body itself!! I hope this helps!!
-Jamie
Old 11-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

yeah seafoam or anyother stuff dont really help newwer car it ruins TB because it electronic at leastt the 02 and up maximas

2002 Maxima GLE Silver on Black
| Berk Intake w/AEM Dryflow | Clear Sidemarker Lights w/PIAA L.E.D|PIAA L.E.D Courtesy and Licence Plate Lights|PIAA White Fogs |Fibre Customs EyeLids | 5% Limo Tint | Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pads |Ebay FSTB|CATTMAN RSB| NWP VIAS Block plate and NWS Spacers| OEM Spoiler | 07 350 z rims on 235/45/18 Goodyear Eagle GT tires| Megan Racing OE-RS Catback |

in training

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT: Subscribe or Donate
Old 11-13-2008, 06:44 PM
freemark

It does work! I make it even with MIL on.of course, I need to clear the code later. I was to happy to see the MIL finally blinking,The idle speed now is 700.So, it seems that we do not need to clear the code before do the reprogramming.

Thanks to AltimaPR!
Old 11-13-2008, 08:02 PM
juanitobebe

Smile altima now like new

good job it fixes, the problem gone
just. go on order
better, no move connectors, the relearnig is hard, but now ther car sound like new, 700 to 800 rpm in neutral o park.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:55 PM
juanitobebe

La falla esfrecuente, no es por usar el carb cleaner, sino por desconectar los sensores,) map, tps,,etc)
asi que realizando la reprogramacion de tps, las revoluciones) mas de 1500 rpm) (el manual menciona que el motor funciona con esta falla como si estuviera en 3.velocidad=- cambia a 800-700. Se escucha cuando cambia el sonido del motor. Buen metodo .
I´m happy, the car sounds like new..sweet
Old 11-14-2008, 05:15 AM
nissanparts1

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemark View Post
It does work! I make it even with MIL on.of course, I need to clear the code later. I was to happy to see the MIL finally blinking,The idle speed now is 700.So, it seems that we do not need to clear the code before do the reprogramming.

Thanks to AltimaPR!
It's NOT good for the MIL to be blinking while you drive!!! If the MIL light is on steady, you can drive it like that, but if the MIL light is BLINKING, something is wrong that could possibly ruin the catalytic converter OR the engine and you SHOULD NOT DRIVE IT!!!
-Jamie
Old 11-14-2008, 07:31 AM
freemark

Thanks to nissanparts1!

I am sorry that I did not say it clearly, what I mentioned that the MIL was blinking was not while driving, but during I did the reprogramming while stopping (the #7 that AltimaPR posted), I started the car after the MIL from blinking to steady within 3 seconds, then the idle speed dropped from 1200 to 700.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Enthusiast
2003 Altima
2003 Nissan Altima 2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissanparts1 View Post
It's NOT good for the MIL to be blinking while you drive!!! If the MIL light is on steady, you can drive it like that, but if the MIL light is BLINKING, something is wrong that could possibly ruin the catalytic converter OR the engine and you SHOULD NOT DRIVE IT!!!
-Jamie

I don't think he meant he was to drive his car with the MIL light blinking, it is only obvious. What he meant was that although you are supposed to clear codes before doing any adjustments, you don't need to clear the code to have this process actually working, you are to clear it later on anyways, as if you don't, the consequence is it will be lit all the time. I tested this routine "back and forth" on the 2.5...and it does work.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:50 PM
ziggy

Altimapr. Thank you for the procedure. It works great on my nissan sentra 2005
I have been trying for couple days , but once I did falowed your instruction it worked right a way.
thank you

Last edited by ziggy; 01-05-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Enthusiast
2003 Altima
2003 Nissan Altima 2.5

I'm glad it worked for you too.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:22 PM
richmenz

Red face second thoughts

hi, after reading several posts about throttle cleaning, I'm having second thoughts about doing a 'throttle body cleanup'. I've had problems with the infamous 'crankshaft sensor' and both o2 sensors. To make the crazy story short, I have a friend (mechanic) with a scanner, and finally after fixing my problem with those 3 sensors, two codes showed up:
(1) - P0420, CAT EFFICIENCY BELOW THRESHOLD BANK 1

(2) - P0507 B, IDLE CONTROL SYSTEM RPM TOO HIGH

So my plan is to try to fix one problem at a time. I usually go to this site to get info on such problems since i have an 03 Niss Alt. 2.5 So should I go ahead and try to clean the throttle body and hopefully it don't turn out what others are having problems with such as, butterfly getting stuck because it lost it's lubrication, idle going higher than better, etc....
what should i do with this situation? I'm pretty good on following instructions, and what's that P0420? my friend is not available all the time and i need this problem fixed...please help!!!

Tags
altima, body, cleanup, high, idle, routine, throttle