Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2002 Altima - Cylinder 2 misfire Forums > > 2002 Altima - Cylinder 2 misfire 2002 Altima - Cylinder 2 misfire
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 04-26-2012, 05:32 PM
2002 Altima

Having same cylinder 2 misfire, swapped coils and reset code before discovering this forum. Took the beast for a brief spin and stepped on it a couple of times; I didn't detect any misses but will follow simple to more complex solutions if problem re-surfaces.

Thanks for the posts. I know they'll come in handy if need be (:
Old 04-27-2012, 10:27 PM
2003 Altima

I am having the misfire issue also. 2003 Nissan altima 2.5 4cl only 70k miles.

this only happens every once in a while. but lack of power, feels like it can't get gas, some shaking. ... i took it to a mechanic a while back, he did some testing , but couldn't replicate it. he said everything looks great with the engine. ... he did say he noticed one of the areas around the spark plug to be dark, almost like burnt area. but he said he checked out the spark plug and it was fine. i haven't done much testing since then, that was about 5 months ago.

but its a pain when it happens, and i would like to fix the issue. after reading all the posts on this thread. i think there must be fuel or something flooding out the cylindar. i am not sure which cylindar is misfiring. the mechanic told me but i didn't right it down. i was going to go back and have him change out the plugs and spark plug cables. but didnt do it. and things have been pretty much fine for the past 5 months. one time after not running the car for a week, it had the issue. wouldn't start at first, but i gave it some gas and got it up and running. went to the gas station , filled the tank. drove home parked it. havent had the issue since. ........ its super wierd how it only happens sometimes.

anyway , with only 70k on this car, i think its got to be something very fixable. ... this is my first time researching online, but i think you guys are on the right track. ... thanks
Old 05-09-2012, 12:47 PM
2002 Altima

Hello to all i'm having the same issue,

I have a 2002 altima v6 which is having power issues. The car runs normal up until it gets to operating temperature. once i reach operating temperature the car loses power from mid to high rpm. also sometimes when i come to a stop the bank 2 cat starts smoking as if it had oil spilled on it (it doesn't, i even degreased it to make sure). i think it only starts smoking after the engine has been reved high. maybe precat is overheating from the misfire? the car does not idle rough and it does not sound like it has a misfire. it sounds throaty mid-high rpm though. i warmed it up and waited 15 min to take plug out of cylinder 2 and looked inside and it looked normal no water or oil. also compression is at 160ish.

i swapped coils with cylinder 2 and 6 and the code still came up on cylinder 2.

the check engine light is not on but i still plugged in my code reader and found that it has a p0302 code for cylinder 2 misfire detected and p0152 for the bank 2 precat oxygen sensor. these codes do not stay in the system all the time which i'm guessing is why the check engine light does not come on. i have checked it several different times and sometimes none of the codes are there. the two codes have not been on at the same time it has been one or the other. also, the car is using more fuel than normal which i know could be a bad oxygen sensor symptom.

thanks in advance for any help
Old 05-09-2012, 06:28 PM
2002 Altima
2002 Altima

Factory compression for all cylinders is 182 psi with absolute minimum is 164. Since the misfire did not jump when you switch coil, it means your ignition coil is good. I don't know how many miles you Altima has or if you've replaced the 02 sensors. If oxygen sensor is dead the ECM will switch to default setting which is rich. That may explain your low mpg. With plenty gas and low compression on cyl. #2, some of that fuel are exiting to the exhaust and being burnt in the CAT. That may explain smoke coming out in the cat when engine is hot. So,
1. Inspect the exhaust manifold including the CAT for cracks. Replace if damaged. If in good shape and no exhaust manifold leaks,
2. Replace your oxygen sensors. I know you mentioned sensor 1 on bank 2. If not possible to replace all four at this time, at least S1B2. Hope this helps.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:07 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramos88 View Post
Hello to all i'm having the same issue,

I have a 2002 altima v6 which is having power issues. The car runs normal up until it gets to operating temperature. once i reach operating temperature the car loses power from mid to high rpm. also sometimes when i come to a stop the bank 2 cat starts smoking as if it had oil spilled on it (it doesn't, i even degreased it to make sure). i think it only starts smoking after the engine has been reved high. maybe precat is overheating from the misfire? the car does not idle rough and it does not sound like it has a misfire. it sounds throaty mid-high rpm though. i warmed it up and waited 15 min to take plug out of cylinder 2 and looked inside and it looked normal no water or oil. also compression is at 160ish.

i swapped coils with cylinder 2 and 6 and the code still came up on cylinder 2.

the check engine light is not on but i still plugged in my code reader and found that it has a p0302 code for cylinder 2 misfire detected and p0152 for the bank 2 precat oxygen sensor. these codes do not stay in the system all the time which i'm guessing is why the check engine light does not come on. i have checked it several different times and sometimes none of the codes are there. the two codes have not been on at the same time it has been one or the other. also, the car is using more fuel than normal which i know could be a bad oxygen sensor symptom.

thanks in advance for any help
Make sure the negative battery terminal is still connected at the transmission case.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:05 PM
2002 Altima

I will check the battery cable and have bought the oxygen sensor so I will replace that as well. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:50 PM
2002 Altima

I have replaced the precat oxygen on bank 2 and the spark plug on cylinder 2. Still have the cylinder misfire code up with no ses light on. I did notice that there was a little bit of oil on the thread of cylinder spark plug only like a quarter inch of thread. I dont know if that may mean something. Tomorrow I will be replacing the negative battery cable. Any other ideas? Again, thanks for the help. Have a great day
Old 05-15-2012, 08:33 PM
2003 Altima

so how does oil or fuel flood into the cylindars?
Old 06-29-2012, 08:48 PM
2003 Altima

I plan to replace all spark plugs and the spark plug cables. .. but i would like to understand what is causing the oil/fuel to flood into the cylendars; to keep from running into same issue.. any ideas?

thank you.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:29 AM
Tech Enthusiast
1995 Maxima
2002 Altima
1997 Maxima GLE

If you have oil in the spark plug outer area, this is caused by leakage around the spark plug seals in the valve cover/rocker cover gasket area. In the past I was told by Nissan you couldn't buy just the seals themselves, you have to buy the whole rocker cover. This oil could cause the spark plug to act up as the oil will heat/cool the plug.

If you have oil inside the cylinder area (you can see it when you remove the spark plug inside the engine), I recommend changing out the PCV valve. If the valve is damaged or inoperable, oil will be sucked into the cylinders and burned off (resulting in huge oil consumption and a lot of smoke).

So, is the oil on the outside of the spark plug hole or the inside?
2012 Altima (daughter - replaced 2002 with 8 miles, now with almost 30,000 miles)
Old 01-10-2013, 03:04 PM
2002 Altima

Default I had the same problem!

The same thing happened to me. I replaced cat converter AND o2 sensors periodically- STILL have a blinking SES light and chronic shaking/misfiring sensation. ?!?!??!?!?? Help
Old 01-10-2013, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
The same thing happened to me. I replaced cat converter AND o2 sensors periodically- STILL have a blinking SES light and chronic shaking/misfiring sensation. ?!?!??!?!?? Help
You should perform a compression test. You probably have a blown head gasket.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:05 PM
2002 Altima

I ended up having an intermittent problem with a coil which I finally found because I caught it misfiring when it was idlin so I pulled them out one by one and I found my bad coil that way.