Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
front windows rolling down and doors unlocking by themselves on 2007 Altima Forums > > front windows rolling down and doors unlocking by themselves on 2007 Altima front windows rolling down and doors unlocking by themselves on 2007 Altima
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 02-23-2009, 01:29 PM
hamiltonid72

yep that's it the cable between the switch and the cylinder was my problem. when you release tension fron the cable the switch shorts out and the windows roll down when the car is turned off. i even replicated it on my neighbors car by removing the cylinder and pulling and releasing the cable connected to the switch.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:50 PM
defense

Default Possible Solution

I have this same problem on my 07 Altima, and found this thread:

The windows in my 2008 Nissan Altima roll down automatically and corporate Nissan doesn't think it's a big deal!

I noticed one very plausible response in this thread:
My wifes 06 Altima has the same problem. I was able to track it down to the receiving unit for remote (a long 4"x8" black plastic box). It sits just behind the fuse box (by the drivers left knee) I think that the manufacturer used really cheap relays. These relays trigger right as the car is shut off or sometimes after a minute or so. I'm sure it's going to be expensive plastic.It's like the space shuttle, bid out to the lowest bidder. God help us!
Hope this helps. I'll post back as soon as I'm sure.

If the key-fob RECEIVER (not the key-fob itself) is causing the problem as suggested here, then that could explain why not using the key-fob does not solve the problem. Also if the problem is the key-fob receiver, the solution may be as simple as to pull out the wires responsible for the key-fob controlled front windows-down "feature". This should have no effect on normal window operation. The process to do this may be very simple.

I think this is a likely source of the problem. Why? Because the behaviour is identical to the key-fob controlled auto-front-windows-down feature, but initiated at the wrong time. The rear windows do not move, just the front ones.

Now to track down the key-fob receiver. Pull off the fuse-box cover (below the key-fob recharger by driver-side left knee). Look inside, you will see rows of wires coming from the key-fob recharger and going into several connectors. I think it's likely two of those wires are responsible for initiating the auto window-down feature. I don't have time until the weekend, but I test each of those pins with my meter until I hopefully find the offending wires.

This could be a very simple solution if my hunch is correct (or a big waste of time). However, the key-fob receiver MUST output the signals to roll down the windows, so I think this road may be promising.

If it works then I'll let you know here and post what should be simple directions. If not, well, I dunno.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:10 AM
Dobson777

Quote:
Originally Posted by defense View Post
I have this same problem on my 07 Altima, and found this thread:

The windows in my 2008 Nissan Altima roll down automatically and corporate Nissan doesn't think it's a big deal!

I noticed one very plausible response in this thread:

If the key-fob RECEIVER (not the key-fob itself) is causing the problem as suggested here, then that could explain why not using the key-fob does not solve the problem. Also if the problem is the key-fob receiver, the solution may be as simple as to pull out the wires responsible for the key-fob controlled front windows-down "feature". This should have no effect on normal window operation. The process to do this may be very simple.

I think this is a likely source of the problem. Why? Because the behaviour is identical to the key-fob controlled auto-front-windows-down feature, but initiated at the wrong time. The rear windows do not move, just the front ones.

Now to track down the key-fob receiver. Pull off the fuse-box cover (below the key-fob recharger by driver-side left knee). Look inside, you will see rows of wires coming from the key-fob recharger and going into several connectors. I think it's likely two of those wires are responsible for initiating the auto window-down feature. I don't have time until the weekend, but I test each of those pins with my meter until I hopefully find the offending wires.

This could be a very simple solution if my hunch is correct (or a big waste of time). However, the key-fob receiver MUST output the signals to roll down the windows, so I think this road may be promising.

If it works then I'll let you know here and post what should be simple directions. If not, well, I dunno.

Marc-
I like you thought process. I'm curious if you were able to resolve your problem. I recently purchased a used 2008 Altima coupe with 25k miles. My windows went down automatically only after I entered the car to get my sunglasses. I closed the door and locked it using the button on the door handle. It was warm and humid (St. Pete Florida) and the car was covered with morning dew. I also have had several instances where the doors automatically unlock when we were sure we had locked the door. I'm taking this information to my dealer to see if they can resolve this problem before my car get soaked inside.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:03 PM
puki01504

Default Dealer Resolution was found, yet different

We finally found a dealer that spent the time to see the problem first hand and find out what is causing this.

It seems that "streamcast" has it right, or at least very close. In our case, we had a slim-jim cause the problem when trying to recover from a keys locked in the car incident.

It was the harness in the door that was replaced, the old harness was stretched and hacked up by the slim-jim. I'm sure that the wire not being routed properly caused the issue, but having exposed wires in the door, is never a good thing!

The sad part was after the harness was installed, the sun roof opened and would not close! They (dealer) thinks it's related but I'm not up for a bill to get into the headliner if so needed! The sunroof stays off/closed.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:05 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2003 Altima

Gremlins. Y'all got gremlins. :)
Old 07-11-2009, 07:51 AM
rsr2b

Default Had same problem with altima. Have Solution

Hi. I had the same problem with my 2002 Altima. I took it to my mechanic and he had seen the problem before. The problem is in the lock on the drivers side door and not the key fob like most people think. There are 2 wires that run to the lock that get shorted out by water that has leaked into the lock. When the wires short, the car thinks a key is in the lock. If you put your key in the lock and unlock the door and hold it, the windows roll down. If you lock it and hold it, the windows will roll up. My mechanic fixed the short by cutting back the sheath that is around the 2 wires and filling the remainig sheath with lithium grease. Then he put tape around the top of the sheath to keep water from getting in it again. Hope this helps.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:58 AM

Default 2006 Nissan Altima

I brought my car to the dealer yesterday and they kept my car all day. I told them my two front windows keep going down on their own. At the end of the day, they stated it never happened while car was there and they can't do anything about it. First, did they even look at the car? Second, I just woke up at looked out the window to see that my car windows are down AGAIN. It happens in my driveway and now it's happening pretty much everyday (for past 2 weeks). I am annoyed cause I got the impression the dealer thought I was making it up. It is becoming very annoying. Now what do I do?
Old 10-21-2009, 01:32 PM
Grimlock5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsr2b View Post
Hi. I had the same problem with my 2002 Altima. I took it to my mechanic and he had seen the problem before. The problem is in the lock on the drivers side door and not the key fob like most people think. There are 2 wires that run to the lock that get shorted out by water that has leaked into the lock. When the wires short, the car thinks a key is in the lock. If you put your key in the lock and unlock the door and hold it, the windows roll down. If you lock it and hold it, the windows will roll up. My mechanic fixed the short by cutting back the sheath that is around the 2 wires and filling the remainig sheath with lithium grease. Then he put tape around the top of the sheath to keep water from getting in it again. Hope this helps.
and you've had no problems since then? the exact same thing is happening to me for my 02 nissan altima. recently my battery died and i had it replaced. however at the time i found it dead i also found the two front windows down. once i got a jumpstart from a friend and took it to the mechanic, the windows automatically rolled down again when i turned the car off. i had other repairs done that day, and when i got the car back everything seemed fine...for one day.

i took the car home from work and made sure everything was off and locked, i even waited for a few minutes to see if anything would happen. nothing. however the next morning i see the windows are down again, so i dont know if they opened at night, or in the morning, or whenever. this time when i took it to the mechanic the windows rolled down not when i turned the car off, but when i opened the door to get out. after another day of scratching their heads the shop is saying i need to replace the BCM. im having it looked at again by another mechanic i trust.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:57 PM
Grimlock5

update--

well the car has gotten worse and died a second time. a few days after taking it to a second mechanic the door locks started automatically unlocking WHILE DRIVING. there is a frequent clicking sound coming from the fusebox causing the doors to unlock, and the windows to roll down after turning the car off. it continues to click every few seconds even when the car is off. overnight this drained the battery once again however this time, a jumpstart did not work. im guessing the clicking began the first time it died.

looking at it with a friend he's saying there was work done on the alarm at some point. apparently the wire for it was cut and the relay is gone or damaged. could the alarm or whatever is left of the alarm be causing this electrical failure? the car is at my dealer's right now but even he was talking like he didnt have a clue.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:23 PM
Grimlock5

update 2--

turns out it was the master switch in the driver side door. apparently too much water slipped in and shorted a wire, then the windows going down allowed more rain to get in and make it worse. got it replaced as well as some fuses and it works fine now.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:32 AM
CRaymond

Default 2007 Altima windows roll down & doors lock on their own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footmodel View Post
I have a strange problem with my Nissan Altima 2007. A week ago the front windows started rolling down and the front doors started unlocking after I turned off my car. I watched this happen with my own eyes about 4 times in a row. The next day I took the car to Nissan and it wouldn't happen. Today it started happening again and I'm hoping it will continue tomorrow so I can show it to them as I don't think they really even tried to diagnose the problem. Just curious if anyone has ever heard of such a problem. I'm definitely not hitting the key fob.
I'm too having the same problems with the windows unrolling on their own and doors locking after the car has been shut off and nobody is in the car. The battery gets completely drained as a result of this. And, no, I'm not sitting on my fob.

Any luck from others out there? How much did it cost to fix?

CRaymond
[email protected]
Old 01-05-2010, 12:27 PM
vgevans

Smile Windows go up & down, etc.

It has been 4 weeks now since I had my car repaired. The windows, clicking and other problems are no longer occurring because I stopped using my old key fob. The mechanic replaced the battery in the old one and the problem continued. He called & asked if I had another one (key fob); I did. So far, so good and I'm praying that it continues to work. He also did a diagnostic test on the "service engine soon light" being on and once again the test result is that it is idling too high, which it is not. So far the light is still off and I passed the emissions test. This testing and re-settting was done several years ago and the light did not stay off very long. I have been driving for several years and it's off and on. I will hope for the best!!!

BTW, it appears so many of us have a different solution to the window problem, so I suggest start with the easiest possible solution and work your way up.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:44 PM
ms103

My windows and doors did the same things in two situations.

(1). there was a lot of thunder and lightning
(2). It was near a building where I guess there were a lot of radio signals and such.

It has only happened 2 or 3 times out of 2 years of having the car. Good thing someone told me the first time or my car would have been soaking wet when I left from work.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:22 PM
2005 Altima Sedan
2005 3.5 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by puki01504 View Post
I just spent a few hours trying to t-shoot this problem. Let's plesae find some commonalities so we can fix this nasty problem.

My front windows stay up if the doors are closed and I remove the key from the ignition. But will open 20 to 90 seconds later.

My front windows open immediately if I open either front door.

My front windows don't operate properly/consistently from the door switch. Sometimes hitting the window lock button will let the pass side window go up. But not the drivers side.

While the front doors are closed, and windows are up, key is out of ignition, you can leave via the rear door without an immediate response. Yet the same 20 to 90 seconds later, the front windows go down.

If you have a front door open, key in ignition and go to take the key out, the windows go down immediately, but if you put the key back in and on, they stop.

I hear a relay click under the dash when the windows do their thing. Couldn't isolate the relay.

If this is a moisture related short in the window lock-out switch, would this cause such weird timing and operational issues?

Does the factory alarm have a window down/up mode that isn't deactivated properly in my base model?
My 2005 3.5 Altima is doing the exact same thing as the original poster. I just replaced the master door switch(es) and realized that was NOT the cause of the problem. After reading all these posts, I now believe it may have something to do with the door lock itself, when I put the key in the door and turn it nothing happens... Will keep you posted.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:07 PM
2005 Altima Sedan
2005 3.5 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesewhizz View Post
My 2005 3.5 Altima is doing the exact same thing as the original poster. I just replaced the master door switch(es) and realized that was NOT the cause of the problem. After reading all these posts, I now believe it may have something to do with the door lock itself, when I put the key in the door and turn it nothing happens... Will keep you posted.
PROBLEM SOLVED!! 2005 Altima 3.5... Windows going down when car is off etc...

I can't believe how rediculously simplistic this problem was, apparently it was condensation on the inside door lock wiring! (although I saw nothing wet)

After purchasing an used power window master switch for $16.00 on ebay a few days ago and realized that did NOT solve my problem, I decided to take a look on the inside of the door panel after reading posts stating that it could be a shorted wire on the door lock wiring etc..

I took the panel off, it was easier than first thought since there are no clips, they are a push and hold type so it's easy to remove and put back on after removing the hidden screws. This link was helpful... 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Front Door Panel Removal Procedure

Anyhow after getting the panel off, I noticed that it is quite difficult to get in there and remove the door lock itself, so I decided to spray something that would evaporate quickly, so I used mass air flow spray (that's all I had) on the connection wiring just behind the lock itself... Wouldn't you know it, I plugged the master switches back in to complete the electrical loop, put the key in the door and turned/held and the window went down!!! I couldn't believe it...

I got to thinking, after having this car for 6 years with no issues... I usually wash my car myself but lately I've been lazy and have been taking it to the spray and wash, I just wonder if I'm unecessarily getting water in the door lock?? Hmmm??

The only thing I would try before getting into the panel, buy some evaporative type spray or even white grease and spray it into the key hole first and see what happens, you never know...

Hope this helps!

Rudy ;-))

Last edited by cheesewhizz; 12-30-2010 at 09:19 AM.

Tags
2007, altima, doors, front, rolling, unlocking, windows