Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
97 altima meter fuse blowing Forums > > 97 altima meter fuse blowing 97 altima meter fuse blowing
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 01-08-2008, 04:55 PM
bob55663

Default 97 altima meter fuse blowing

almost every day i have to replace the meter fuse and some times multiple fuses in one day. i replaced the dimmer switch after a mechanic i know told me to try it and after $40 on just one switch that got me fusterated with no change the fuse useally blows either when i put it in drive or just turn it on. all i know is that the meter fuse is what iz powering ur speedometer and a few other hud components. can anyone help me with an answer or a solution to my problem??????? plz give responses!!!!!!

Last edited by NissanTech; 01-08-2008 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Font color and size
Old 01-08-2008, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

That fuse powers many circuits or part of the circuits:

Meters
Back-Up Light
Cruise Control
ABS
etc....

Short circuits are very difficult to find. The first thing you need to do is think of any repair (mechanical or body) that was performed when the problem started. The short circuit is probably close to the repair that was perform. For example one of the items the #25 (meter) fuse powers is the back-up light, if your altima was in a rear end collision, the back-up light wires may be pinch.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:45 PM
bob55663

the fuse only blows about every 5th time that i put it in reverse what iz up with that???
Old 01-13-2008, 04:49 AM
2015 Rogue

I would start by removing the tail lights and checking the wiring in that area to see if it is pinched or rubbing against metal.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:08 AM
FieldRun

I agree with NissanTech and mpe235 and you should conduct a very careful visual inspection where there was prior work or damage such as the tail light wiring.

If you have access to a current meter that can measure 20 amps (the rating of the fuse that is blowing), you may see that the circuit is drawing excess current - very close to or above the rating of the fuse and it would cause it to blow occasionally. This may be due to a pinched wire or dirty connector in the tail light area. Of course, when you take your measurements, the vehicle must be in reverse to duplicate the operating conditions. Make sure you are very careful and don't runover yourself or a friend. - - safety first - -

Note: don't exceed the current rating of your ampmeter.

If you don't see a high value of current (circa 20 amps) at all times, then there is something that happens occasionally such as vehicle movement that is creating the short circuit and causing the fuse to blow.

Good luck, let us know what you find out.

Last edited by FieldRun; 01-14-2008 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:03 PM
AevnsGrandpa

Cool

I am in the same problem also. Seen the same problem on other forums also. With all of that I'm really surprised that some dealer or serviceman has not found what the issue is.

There was some talk on another forum that it is something with the wiring harness that runs next to the engine or tranny.

I have a 96 Altima GXE and I might go 2 days, or I might put in 8 in a row.

Have replaced the alternator and battery at one point and also the right rear tail light assembly because it had developed a intermittant short and was literally burning itself up. Still the fuse issue.

Happens more so atfter stopping or when restarting.

I downloaded the electrical manual and went through it very specifically. I am going to see if I have time to isolate the power from the meter fuse that runs all the idiot lights and gauges on the dash panel from the back up lights and the park&neutral inhibtor relay which as far as I can tell are the only 2 items that run off of this fuse that are NOT on the dash board console. We'll see.

Glad I found the forum and the manuals, it was at least a bid help to see what I could plan out.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 01-15-2008, 02:32 PM
FieldRun

May I suggest to use a current meter in the fuse circuit to determine how much current is being drawn. The circuit current should not - repeat - not, be too close to the rating of the fuse, but I suspect that it will be. Possibly by taping wires and connectors lightly in the suspect area wiring, you may be able to notice a spike or dip in the current draw. That means you have found the problem.

If you insert an approprate load in series with the circuit such as a tail light bulb, it will limit the current to a level that does not cause the fuse to blow, but will still allow you to measure current and hopefully identify the problem. Adjust current meter appropriately.
Yes, manuals are a great resource. Good luck on the troubleshooting.

BTW: In an 87 sentra that I had years ago, every once in a while the fuse for the tail light would blow. I went through considerable fuses to find the problem and gave up after running out of time. I brought it into a shop that was recommended to me, and after several hundred dollars, they claimed success. Well, they were wrong. The problem came back a few weeks later. I had some time and troubleshot it again, this time with a current meter and found that a wire was being pinched under the steering wheel and only happened on occasion when the wheel was moved and the wiring harness was moved. The wire got pinched due to the adjustable height of the steering wheel. Anyway, watching the current can be very helpful in troubleshooting shorts.

Again, good luck on this.

Last edited by FieldRun; 01-15-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:25 AM
AevnsGrandpa

Thanks for the troubleshooting hint. I am hoping it will something like yours, hard to find but easy to correct!

Jeff
Old 01-20-2008, 03:30 PM
AevnsGrandpa

Well some more info on this interesting problem.

About 4 days ago I had a time where I had to put in about 6 fuses in a row and then the last one worked. However now my tranny won't shift in the highest gear!!

The fuse has not blowned in those 4 days. In looking at the electrical diagram one of the many things that this fuse (#25) supplies power for is the clutch inhibitor relay. I think this keeps the tranny from being put in gear unless you are in Park or Neutral if I am incorrect. Could something have gone one with this?

It sounds like now whatever was causing the use to blow had finally burnt out and opened.

Any ideas folks??

Jeff
Old 09-11-2008, 08:00 AM
AevnsGrandpa

Default I fixed it!!!!!

Well I know it has been a long time on this one but I thought what I found might be of some help to others.

As a reminder, this was on a 97 altima that kept blowing the 10A meter fuse.

Thanks to this website I was able to download the factory electrical manual which was invaluable in the fix.

In troubleshooting this I knew I had to eliminate all the branches this 10A circuit went to. This included the rear break lights, the control console (speedometer, etc) and a few other things.

After physically removing the items I could from the circuit I still had a dead short from one side of this fuse to ground. Being in the electronic repair business for 25+ years you sometimes have to resort to somewhat crazy ways of doing things. So after I still had a short, I knew it to be somewhere in the actual wiring harness....

The battery was a little low so I jumped the car with another while doing this last part to allow enough current capacity. I took a very large gauge wire and ran it from the positive terminal of the battery directly to the side of the meter fuse that runs these various circuits and waited for smoke!!

It didn't take long, as I had the hood up and saw a small wisp of smoke come up from near the battery. I then moved the relay block that is near the battery and the air intake and filter. Right below this there are 2 connectors. Not sure which ones but I found that something hot had laid across one melting through the insulation and shorting a blue and black together.

I then removed the casing and seperated the wires and cut out the bad section and re-butted then together and the car started ok and no more blown fuse!!!

Attached is a picture of the harness before I repaired it.

Hope this helps others......

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
97 altima meter fuse blowing-harness-jpg  
Old 07-31-2010, 01:09 PM
ernz

Default I had the same problem too!!!

Thanks for your insight Jeff, I had the same exact problem with my 95 Altima GXE.

It wasn't easy to remove the relay block and work with the wires, but I managed to wrap around the eletrical tape on the damaged wires.

Thanks again Jeff you were really helpful!!

Regards

Ernest.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:28 PM
g0michael

jeff thanks alot man i had the same exact problem on the same exact spot i think the negative battery cable was rubbing on mine
Old 07-29-2011, 02:49 AM
davemc56

Default blown meter fuse

Jeff thanks alot my 97 altima had the very same problem in the exact same spot your picture was helpful I know electrical problems are very hard to pinpoint and this has saved us and other before me alot of time. I guess the weight of the negitive cable over time and vibration it created a short we would never have found your crazy method was the only way to find it. Thanks again Jeff

Dave
Old 02-21-2012, 03:33 PM
1997 Altima

Default 10 amp meter fuse, whats the white wire?

Hello all, new to the sight as of today,
my aunt has a 1997 altima gxe, been having the 10a meter fuse problem lately as described above,
i saw this post and just went down and saw the ground wire had sawed into that harness below- exactly as in that picture above (which is awesome by the way thanks jeff!)
my question is, the rubbing has mostly worn the black ground wire insulation away, i only saw a little of the one white wire in the harness (being rubbed below the ground wire) that was exposed. Does anyone know what the white wire is? reason i ask is that when i had it all apart, and the key off, i checked voltage between that white semi exposed wire and it read to positive on the battery, leading me to beleive that white is a negative? thus would not create a short circuit. (the white wire in the harness shown in the picture above)
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 03-31-2013, 01:29 PM
1997 Altima Coupe
2002 Xterra

Default 1997 altima driver having same exact issue

Im documenting your info+ pic from your exp Jeff; in hopes of my issue being the same thing; My battery has been checked; the alternator has been changed; more than numerous fuses have been used; last resort was to put into a shop for fixing..... I sure hope me locating your info helps our mechanic locate that area and finding the issue....

Tags
altima, blowing, fuse, meter