Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
P1446 Code Forums > > P1446 Code P1446 Code
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 10-01-2007, 12:53 PM
Erica1

Default P1446 Code

Hi I am new to this. My 98 GXE, 108,000 MILES had a service engine soon light. took to the mechanic, Code was 1446, Did smoke test also. $45.00 charge. Some smoke came out of the EGR valve . Mechanic said i need EGR valve, EGR gasket and BPT valve.

Also needed an EVAP canister and vent solenoid.. AShowed me inside hole it was like white powdery, said it was blocking, and made me smell canister, to smell gasoline, which they said is not supposed to smell. The whole job, over 800 dollars!. The car is well maintained.. dont know if its worth fixing.

Mangement changed here so i dont trust them as much as the old guys. Any advice? feel free to email me. Thank you Erica..
Old 10-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

My first advice is to look for another mechanic.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

The P1446 code is for the "Vent Control Valve". But the problem it is not necessary the valve, it could be a pressure sensor, canister or a water separator. Before you replace any part, you should do some tests, like the one in the attachments posted by vpnavy. There is also a bulletin for that code here: Service Bulletins Nissan Cars
Old 10-02-2007, 06:16 AM
Erica1

Hey thanks for the prompt response.. Just came back from the mechanic he changed the EVAP canister and vent solenoid from the dealer, which is what I told him to do first!..He said that should clear the service engine soon light. (i want to get an inspection after the all clear)I told him to hold off on the EGR valve.He said well there is soke coming out of it so it will need to be dealt with , whats your opinion guys?

So now i have to drive the car on highway for over 50 miles so the computer resets? can you clear this up for me please. He did not charge me for the smoke test after i protested.

As far as finding a new mechanic, its not easy especially being a woman, they just simply take advantageof the situtation. If you know anyone in the NY area let me know.

Also do you guys feel that i have some life left in my altima 98 GXE with 108 , ooo miles? i dont drive it alot.. i drive like 6,000 miles a year. just for small stuff. i change my oil like clock work every 3 months.. how can i find out the resale of this car.. Thank you very much guys!!! I appreciate your input..
Old 10-02-2007, 12:09 PM
Erica1

i want to add that i just took a looooong highway ride over 70 miles, went back to the mecahnic so he can rehook the computer to see if this solved the problem, he showed me the run down, that everthing said OK except he said that i need to drive it more now since the cycle for the EGR said not completed yet. he said i just need to drive it more so the computer will be able to read that. the service engine light went away. But i am still not sure about the EGR parts that he wants me to change due to the smoke test showing some smoke coming out. can youguys please explain this to me in detail? Also thank you for the service bulletin. I dont understand it really. does it mean that my altima was recalled for the part i just replaced? THANK YOU SOOO MUCH. !!!!!!! Erica
Old 10-02-2007, 03:10 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica1 View Post
i want to add that i just took a looooong highway ride over 70 miles, went back to the mecahnic so he can rehook the computer to see if this solved the problem, he showed me the run down, that everthing said OK except he said that i need to drive it more now since the cycle for the EGR said not completed yet. he said i just need to drive it more so the computer will be able to read that. the service engine light went away. But i am still not sure about the EGR parts that he wants me to change due to the smoke test showing some smoke coming out. can youguys please explain this to me in detail? Also thank you for the service bulletin. I dont understand it really. does it mean that my altima was recalled for the part i just replaced? THANK YOU SOOO MUCH. !!!!!!! Erica
I have never seen an egr valve cause a vent control valve code. In fact I am positive that it can't. You should try another shop. There is a good chance that you need a canister and vent control valve. It is very easy to check the operation of the valve with a good scan tool and a test light.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:37 PM
Erica1

Default P1446 code

mpe235, thanks for your reply. I did get the canister replaced and the vent solinoid ( is a vent solinoid the same as vent control valve?) the service engine soon light did not return.

so your saying that a code P1446 has nothing to do with EGR gasket or BPT valve? I did not let them touch those at all, even though the mechanic kept saying, you need to do something about this , the smoke test is showing that you have smoke coming out of it, which means it has to be replaced before doing further damage .

can you guys explain this to me please.. and please be patient with me , i have no technical knowledge, however, i will not let these people suck me into changing things that are not necessary!

Erica
Old 10-03-2007, 04:00 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica1 View Post
mpe235, thanks for your reply. I did get the canister replaced and the vent solinoid ( is a vent solinoid the same as vent control valve?) the service engine soon light did not return.

so your saying that a code P1446 has nothing to do with EGR gasket or BPT valve? I did not let them touch those at all, even though the mechanic kept saying, you need to do something about this , the smoke test is showing that you have smoke coming out of it, which means it has to be replaced before doing further damage .

can you guys explain this to me please.. and please be patient with me , i have no technical knowledge, however, i will not let these people suck me into changing things that are not necessary!

Erica
I have no idea what they are talking about. Smoke coming from the egr valve when doing an evap smoke test. They obviously don't know what they are doing. These 2 systems are not related. If you don't have an ses light on or a code for the egr system then you shouldn't need any repairs to that system.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:21 PM
Erica1

Default P1446

PPE, Hi, Ok so let me tell you what i saw under the hood. They placed the smoke test into like a tube and told me that if there is a leak anywhere or damage that smoke will come out of that area. so they showed me that some smoke was coming from the EGR valve and bpt valve. when i told them to do it again with the service manager there, the smoke wasn't coming up from around the valves so he waited and did something and it started coming out. So my question to you first is should there have been another code besides the P1446 if there was a n issue with the EGR and bpt valve?

secondly, which two systems are not related?

what is an ses light on and what is a code for egr system?..

and finally do you know of a reliable person in the NY area? are you a mechanic?

I need to make sure that i am not being ripped off and that my car is maintained properly without having things thrown at me. I am soo fustrated!

thanks Erica

Erica

I have no idea what they are talking about. Smoke coming from the egr valve when doing an evap smoke test. They obviously don't know what they are doing. These 2 systems are not related. If you don't have an ses light on or a code for the egr system then you shouldn't need any repairs to that system.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:29 PM
2015 Rogue

[quote=Erica1;14465]PPE, Hi, Ok so let me tell you what i saw under the hood. They placed the smoke test into like a tube and told me that if there is a leak anywhere or damage that smoke will come out of that area. so they showed me that some smoke was coming from the EGR valve and bpt valve. when i told them to do it again with the service manager there, the smoke wasn't coming up from around the valves so he waited and did something and it started coming out. So my question to you first is should there have been another code besides the P1446 if there was a n issue with the EGR and bpt valve?

secondly, which two systems are not related?

what is an ses light on and what is a code for egr system?..

and finally do you know of a reliable person in the NY area? are you a mechanic?

I need to make sure that i am not being ripped off and that my car is maintained properly without having things thrown at me. I am soo fustrated!

thanks Erica quote]

If there was a problem with the egr system there would be a code. No code = No problem. The egr system and the evaporative systems are 2 different systems. You don't test the egr system with a smoke machine. SES light is the service engine soon light. I am a technician. What part of NY are you in?
Old 10-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Erica1

If you don't have an ses light on or a code for the egr system then you shouldn't need any repairs

Initially when i went in there was an service engine soon light on. I like to take good care of my car, i go in like clock work for oil changes etc.. i use this car to transport my daughter for weekly medical treatments since they are so far away on LI. So since they changed the canister and rechecked the system with the computer thing, the ses light did not come on again. the little computer read out showed the reading was ok, ok, ok, except something about the egr cycle not completed yet so the mechanic told me that i needed to drive the car for a bit more, before a final reading , since it just needed to cycle more for a reading..before i went in for the reading i had to drive like 50 miles highway to get the car computer back into mode. Does this make any sense to you? I live in Manhattan but the garage i go to is in queens.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:22 AM
2005 Xterra
2008 Xterra

P1446 Code came up on my 2005 Xterra. Local Mechanic replaced the vent control valve. Check engine soon light came back on 30 miles later. I spoke with the mechanic and he said the Vapor Canister needed to be replaced. I just took it to a Nissan Dealer and they said the after market vent control valve was the problem and they are replacing it today. I am thinking I might need to replace the vapor canister while they are working on it. Not sure what to do at this point. My reading has show me that there are other causes for a Code P1446 to show up. Thx for any suggestions.

Tags
code, p1446