Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Not changing to synthetic oil Forums > > Not changing to synthetic oil Not changing to synthetic oil
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 09-24-2007, 07:35 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2007 Altima Sedan
2007 Altima 2.5SL

Default Not changing to synthetic oil

Took our new 2.5SL to the dealer tonight for a new car bug. It is a small ($300-400) problem that they will take care of without question.

Anyhow, I was met by the new car sales manager, the service manager, my great salesman, another salesman and, most importantly, the lead mechanic from the shop.

The lead mechanic recommended that I don't change to the synthetic oil. My dealer gives free oil changes for the life of the car and I did prepay for the services up through the 60,000 mile service.

I used to be a master (ASE) certified mechanic in my younger days. I believe this guy knows what he is talking about. He said that if there were to be an engine failure, the first thing that nissan would want would be an oil analysis. If the oil turned out to be something that the dealer, other than their branded oil, I would be in the middle of the dispute and wait until nissan went after the oil compay for the warranty dispute. They use Chevron Oil (yuk!) but I think I will stick with it until the warranty is done.

Rick
Old 09-25-2007, 02:23 AM
2015 Rogue

Nissan does not have their own oil. I have worked for a couple different dealers. The first one used quaker state for a while and then switched to valvoline. The one I work at know uses penzoil . Oil is oil. Nissan rarely does oil analysis for engine failures. They only look for oil change history. As long as the oil has been changed at least every 7500 miles you are ok. I use synthetic in my own vehicle. Given the fact that you already paid for the services with conventional oil you are kind of in a tough situation. You might be able to pay the difference each time you have the oil changed.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:27 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2007 Altima Sedan
2007 Altima 2.5SL

Thanks. You confirmed my initial thoughts. When I worked for chevrolet, my dealer used pennzoil. People frequently brought in their own oil. All three of the local nissan dealers here use chevron. They said it would be okay to bring my own oil, even though they provide free oil changes for life and I have prepaid for all major service up to, and including the 60,000 mile service. If I stick with their recommended 3750 mile service interval, I would like to know that I have the added protection from a synthetic oil. I have never let an oil change go beyond 3000 miles. I think I will go back to my original plan of using mobil 1 5w-30 after I have about 7500 miles (2 oil changes) on the car.

Thanks,
Rick

Tags
changing, oil, synthetic