Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Altima 2000 gauges dropping to zero! Forums > > Altima 2000 gauges dropping to zero! Altima 2000 gauges dropping to zero!
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 08-06-2007, 03:05 PM
elacesar

Default Altima 2000 gauges dropping to zero!

Hello all! I would like to know if anyone could help me with my Altima 2000 that is having problems with the instrument cluster. After driving for about 10 minutes the gauges drop to zero for a while and after 15 minutes it goes back to normal. I changed the speed control with no luck. I changed the entire cluster twice with no luck. I checked all of the connections and it is the same. Can anyone give me a heads up because i am about to give up. Thanks for any help..
Old 08-07-2007, 12:33 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by elacesar View Post
Hello all! I would like to know if anyone could help me with my Altima 2000 that is having problems with the instrument cluster. After driving for about 10 minutes the gauges drop to zero for a while and after 15 minutes it goes back to normal. I changed the speed control with no luck. I changed the entire cluster twice with no luck. I checked all of the connections and it is the same. Can anyone give me a heads up because i am about to give up. Thanks for any help..
Wow - I just checked the net and you are not alone! Only one person was able to fix the problem by replacing his speed sensor. The rest replaced the cluster and made sure that the connection between the cluster and electrical was nice and clean. Unfortunately, even when replacing the cluster the problem came back again.

FIND OUT WHAT YOUR REPAIR SHOULD COST?
Repair Cost Estimator

BUY NISSAN ACCESSORIES!
Nissanhelp Store
Old 08-07-2007, 06:57 AM
elacesar

Default Altima 2000 instrument gauges drop to zero!

I replaced the speed sensor and it did not help. I hope there a way out of this.. I think its time to go to Nissan!
Old 08-08-2007, 07:18 AM
elacesar

Thanks for the help! I need to mention something that i have noticed.
The moment the gauges drop i feel a sort of hiccup in the engine and the same when the needles return to position. It loses power for a split second and maybe this can help in finding a solution. Thanks again
Old 08-08-2007, 10:04 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by elacesar View Post
Thanks for the help! I need to mention something that i have noticed.
The moment the gauges drop i feel a sort of hiccup in the engine and the same when the needles return to position. It loses power for a split second and maybe this can help in finding a solution. Thanks again
Check your battery terminals (make sure they are clean).
Old 08-08-2007, 01:33 PM
elacesar

The terminals are very clean and the battery is new Thanks
Old 12-23-2008, 04:15 AM
2000 Altima
1997 Pathfinder

Default dead instrument cluster

Did you ever find this problem????
Old 06-24-2009, 03:03 PM
kbattles

Default 2000 altimas intermittent cluster & A/C

Mine does this after about 30 minutes, I lose guages and A/C blows warm. I was told it was the ECM.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:37 PM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

Check all the grounds that are attached to the metal parts of the assy.that supports the dash as a whole.You will have to remove most of the plastic parts to accomplish this.And sorry to say this may not fix the problem.Maybe a master tech can shed some lite on this problem.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:49 PM
uhewson2

Default Similar Issue with 2004 Quest

I am having a very similar issue with my 2004 Quest. The problem got progressively worse over the course of three years until the ECM finally gave up (vehicle would stall, no restart), now its back to how the problems first started (gauges all drop to zero, rest of dash lights come on, then some go off, SES stays on). The new ECM did make the vehicle run normally other than when it has these fits (so I think something is damaging the ECM when these problems occur).

After the problems were still happening with the new ECM, the dealership put in a new Power Distribution Module, but no change, problem still occurs. Then the dealership spent two days cleaning and checking all grounds that were "reasonably" accessible. Problem is still occurring. I am out $1300 and still have the same problem I originally took the vehicle in for. Another symptom it has is the transmission will shift really hard (1-2) when its in this state.

Also it will occasionally have the issue described in service bulletin NTB04-144a, which I was told could not be related, but I think it probably is (and I took it to Nissan while still under warranty for this problem and they said it was not the same issue..despite the fact that I even showed them the TSB).

The dealership is completely out of ideas and I have a vehicle that does not function properly.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2003 Altima

Had this problem on another car. Turned out the gauges were all connected via a flexible mylar-backed printed circuit which distributed the signals from a single harness connector to the various gauges and lights. Over time the star washers that were supposed to ground the guage housings to the mylar PCB corroded enough that some guages stopped being grounded and stopped working. I have not, and don't plan to ever, remove my Altima's console gauge cluster.... YMMV

D.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:37 AM
calyanne

Angry 2001 altima, same problem

just an FYI ive had this same problem for the past few years off and on

-gauges zero out or get stuck
-car going into "limp mode"
-seems to be worse in very hot weather or when raining, bt also happens randomly
-may come right out of it or take several minutes
-stopping the car and turning it off, then back on after "resting" it doesn't help
-sometimes triggers check engine light, usually doesn't

ive been to two nissan dealerships to have the problem fixed, had several things done, but no one really knew what the problem was and it hasn't been fixed! seriously tired of this problem. if anyone knows a definative fix for this, please email me! [email protected]. thank you sooo much!
Old 11-18-2009, 03:32 PM
2004 Titan King Cab
2000 Sentra

Default inop gauges

hi all!
i was searching the altima site and came across this thread-my 2000 sentra gxe does (did) the same thing! i had the gauge cluster out, looked everything over, and put it back together WITHOUT THE PLASTIC BACKING! (I believe it is grounded thru the attaching screws) well, this did not completely fix the problem 100%, but now it VERY rarely acts up, and if it does, a quick rap or two on the dash gets everything back to normal again! i know this may not be a good enough fix for someone who has a fairly new car, but for my sentra (219,000 miles) it is good enough and saves me the $328 the stealer wanted for a new cluster and STILL couldn't guarantee that was the problem. hope this helps somebody!
Old 02-26-2011, 08:07 PM
AshDerringer

Default having same issue!

I just bought a 2000 nissan altima literally 3 days ago, and since, I've had the check engine light come on, to which O'Reilys read that it was electronic motor relay (im pretty sure im missing a word there), so they changed the gauge and thermometer or something to that affect, (mind you I'm a 22year old female, this is my first car) so I really dont know crap about anything! Its horrible! Anywho, the dealer told me it had sat for a really long time and it needed to be drove, but that same day, I was on my way to class and as i was getting of the exit the gauges stuck, litteraly rpm's stuck on 3, speedometer stuck on 65, etc, and i just went into class came back out and it was back to normal. So today, I drove a 3 hour trip to the city, and about half way, when I had stopped to refuel and rest, (maybe 7 mins) when I came back out and started the car it started, then died, which struck me funny.. Then no more then 20 minutes after, the gauges all went dead except the gas gauge? but instead of sticking, or going back to zero or whatever, it speedometer when past 140, the temperture gauge on the other hand just dies and goes all the way to the left, pursay, i dont know how to describe that, then after about 20 mins or so, flipped back on, did this again a good 2 times or so.. Freaked me out, because I just bought the car! I called dealer i bought it from, he said it hasnt been driven in a really long time, and to just see how it did over the weekend, I asked him if it would be fine/safe for long distances he said YES, (of course). ANY INSIGHT would be much appreciated, just some reassurance..lol.. am i going to be safe in it/?? I still have to drive 3 hours back home tomorrow! I am a young female adult, with "panic disorder", and unexplained tachycardia and high blood pressure from time to time,(and im not overweight), so im not really supposed to get excited, and when this happens i feel like im going to have a heart attack i get so scared, i just want to be safe. Thanks. Ashleigh-
Old 01-12-2012, 03:09 PM
2000 Altima
1997 Pathfinder

Default dead instrument cluster

really weird but I fixed this problem awhile ago the gauges would drop out after a few minutes intermittently could not find anything resoldered grounds on gauge pc card tightened ground screws. could not find the problem then one day the drivers side headlight went out and i changed it the dash problem never came back. I believe the headlight was the dash problem.
it may be possible that the voltage and current draw on these cars is so critical any excess electrical draw may cause the dash issues. only conclusion.