Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2005 altima 2.5s won't idle, seems to rev fine Forums > > 2005 altima 2.5s won't idle, seems to rev fine 2005 altima 2.5s won't idle, seems to rev fine
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 11-04-2021, 01:24 AM
2005 Altima Sedan
1997 Sentra

Unhappy 2005 altima 2.5s won't idle, seems to rev fine

I'd like to preface this by saying it is a lot to read and I apologize lol. I also very much appreciate any good intentioned people that take the time to digest. Every mechanic I know around here (these are not top notch techs lol) is pretty much stumped at this point and I don't know where else to turn without just selling it as friggin junk and scraping pennies to buy another beater--With the current market that will almost certainly be hunk of junk, in which I would ALSO need to turn some wrenches on. I love this car and much prefer to put work into her if at all.

I'm absolutely by no means a mechanic, even of the shade tree variety, but not at all ignorant when it comes to cars. Desperation and poverty has forced me to learn and work on a lot, admittedly not always properly.

Hoping for fresh, informed opinions and advice. Be brutally honest, idgaf and encourage it.

After research and various (mildly informed) opinions, I've replaced a good few typical parts and she still will not idle without stalling and dying. I had to move her under its own power after getting a damn parking ticket, or face impound. Seemed to run fine while in gear going down the road but I had to feather the pedal constantly at every red light, and then neutral drop into drive. I know she hates me as much as I do for this :(

Finally the info:

I purchased a 2005 Altima 2.5s sedan with 199k on the odo (edit: hopefully about to break 209k) last year. Immediately had fluids checked and changed oil when I bought it to be safe. All good. Pretty sure not a whole lot has been done on the engine besides mandatory tune ups, but it has an amazing transmission, knock wood. I suspect it was replaced in the last 50k or at least granny driven.

Threw a code for cam or crank sensor a while back but hasn't re-appeared since. From what I understand both of these are notorious for failing, but almost always pop the SES light. Please correct me if I'm wrong haha. Ignored this code because I'm stupid and also priorities.

Outside of the sensor issue, which would be a minor inconvenience at best for me, this car has served me faithfully and I try to return the favor. I am never real hard on her, never had it above 4500 rpm and have checked my fluids regularly. I haven't had any drivetrain problems with this car in the prior 17 months of owning it. Absolutely never any problems starting up (outside of the very rare, intermittent, presumably cam/crank sensor issue) and cruising down to work.

Symptomatic info:
Starts perfectly, but then bounces between about 750 and 1500 rpm. If I don't give it gas it will stall and die in about 5 seconds. I also have to give it about 30% throttle before it seems to register my foot on the pedal.

Researching symptoms have lead me to replace, in this order: MAF sensor, plugs and coils, throttle body, and now fuel pump assembly. I do not see any broken or cracked vacuum hoses. I believe I have checked every relevant fuse.

I haven't had any codes thrown at me, so yesterday before work, I decided to try to warm up the engine and perhaps try the throttle body relearn, but I got a flashing SES light well before operating temps. P0301 and P0300. Cyl1 had a good plug before I replaced it and now also has a new coil pack.

This leads me to believe injectors but I am so friggin hesitant to throw any more money at this without any guidance.

I'm broke as **** going paycheck to paycheck right now and definitely cannot afford the lump sum to have it towed and diagnosed by a garage much less any sort of work being done by them. Any ideas are very much appreciated. I need her back on the road

Last edited by Captain; 11-04-2021 at 01:50 AM.
Old 11-04-2021, 01:31 AM
2005 Altima Sedan
1997 Sentra

Recorded a short video to show to one of the gear heads I know, don't know if this helps considering the audio quality but here it is. The semistable 2krpm is me holding the throttle. The only time I let off is after the rev, at which point it started to stumble.

05 altima 2.5 with idle problems - YouTube

Last edited by Captain; 11-04-2021 at 02:12 AM.

Tags
2.5s, altima, fine, idle, rev