Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
96 Altima - Urgent Help Required Forums > > 96 Altima - Urgent Help Required 96 Altima - Urgent Help Required
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 07-02-2007, 06:53 AM
goofy123

Unhappy 96 Altima - Urgent Help Required

Friends,

I initially had a P1400 code after lot of testing (which all checked out fine) I assumed it to be a mechanical diaphragm failure inside the EGR solenoid and replace the solenoid. Have driven more than 400 miles and still the EGR system is showing "not ready" but no P1400 code. Meanwhile I am getting P0420 code, for catalytic converter, the exhaust does not smell and the acceleration is good. I do experience a rough idle but the idle is steady at @ 650 rpm- 700rpm will rise higher to @ 850 rpm when the AC compressor or radiator fan comes on. The previous owner stated they had replaced the front O2 sensor, so what could be the problem. The last time I checked the plugs the seemed little while, but that must be due to the EGR malfunctioning leading to the engine running hot.

Anything I need to check before replacing CC. I need to pass emission this week

Thanks in advance........
Old 07-02-2007, 04:10 PM
2015 Rogue

Sounds like you probably do need the cc. For the p1400 code check the egr solenoid. They usually go bad. ALso check to make sure the rubber hose is still attached to the bpt valve.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:10 PM
goofy123

But how to ensure that the catalytic converter is really bad? There is no rotten egg smell and no hesitation during acceleration..... today sprayed carb cleaner all along the inlet manifold except the bottom where I could not get a direct spray..... there was no idling change so hopefully the gaskets are good and no inlet leakages....

Also can I use a aftermarket universal CC instead of a direct fit.....
Old 07-06-2007, 11:53 AM
thefairlaneman

Aftermarket cc work but be prepared to spend a great deal of time putting it own

Tags
altima, required, urgent