Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2015 Altima S 2.5L check engine light help Forums > > 2015 Altima S 2.5L check engine light help 2015 Altima S 2.5L check engine light help
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 03-16-2021, 03:41 PM
2015 Altima Sedan
2015 Altima 2 2.5L

Default 2015 Altima S 2.5L check engine light help

Hello new here! Heard about this site from a friend so I thought I would try it out

I have a 2015 Nissan Altima S 2.5L 4CYL that I inherited from my uncle shortly after he retired. Currently have about 97000 miles on the ODO and drive it no more than 4 times a week. Engine struggles a bit to start when cold but after it warms up the engine fails to start if you attempt to turn it on again after driving.

The problem started about two months back when I noticed the car would 'jerk' when cruising or stepping on the gas a bit. Thought I was just imagining things so I let it slide for a few weeks until the check engine light finally came on and the car almost quit on me during a red light stop. I had to step on the gas to keep the engine from stalling. OBD tool gave code p0011 and after some research I decided to change the engine oil, at 95K miles, since I had not done so in a while. That did not work and check engine light came back but this time with code p0014. My father and I decided to replace all 3 VVT solenoids and both camshaft sensors but after a few days the light came back but this time it was p0011.

Taking it to the local mechanic he discovered that the valve cover gasket had faulty spark plug chamber seals that were causing oil to drip into the spark plug chambers. We figured that this might have been what was causing misfires and what not so we replaced the plugs, boots, valve cover and valve cover gasket. The car was fine for a few weeks...

Fast forward to about a week ago and the light has come back on throwing error p0011. Car struggles to start when the engine is cold and will sometimes refuse to start if the engine is warm (after driving it for a bit and turning it off). I have also seen decreased mpg and the occasional 'jerks' that happen sporadically. Due to this I am hesitant on taking it out even for groceries as I am worried that I'll get stranded at the lot haha.

I am no mechanic but from my own research im hinting that my timing chain might need replacing? Idk i've seen this thrown around the internet so it's my best guess. I am hoping that those with much more experience can help me out here to see if it is something I may be able to do myself before I take it to a dealer. Thanks in advance!

Tags
2.5l, altima, check, engine, light