Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Altima Code P1126 Forums > > Altima Code P1126 Altima Code P1126
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 12-27-2020, 09:44 PM
Enthusiast
2009 Versa
2001 Altima

Default Altima Code P1126

2001 Altima GXE 2.4L - 86K Miles

Service Engine Soon (SES) came on and code is P1126 which I read is Throttle Control Motor Relay Circuit Open but could just be the thermostat.

Coolant levels are fine, the car is not overheating and seems to achieve a normal operating temperature is a reasonable amount of time and the temp gauge is steady/normal range where it always seems to be.

I have acquired a Stant 170 thermostat and Fel-Pro gasket now and wondering should I use any kind of gasket sealer on the gasket and if so what is best or should I just put it on dry or something else...
Old 02-09-2021, 09:10 PM
Enthusiast
2001 Pathfinder
2012 Titan Crew Cab

Most probably the thermostat went bad.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:11 PM
Enthusiast
2009 Versa
2001 Altima

I have acquired a Stant 170 thermostat and Fel-Pro gasket now and wondering should I use any kind of gasket sealer on the gasket and if so what is best or should I just put it on dry or something else...
Old 02-16-2021, 02:40 PM
Enthusiast
2009 Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseibarra View Post

Did you used a gasket sealer? My friend got the same code on his 2001 Altima and we're replacing the thermostat as recommended by a friend mechanic. We'll work on it after we finished installing the parts from 4Wheelonline onto the current Frontier project.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:01 AM
Enthusiast
2009 Versa
2001 Altima

I have not replaced my thermostat yet - waiting for a warm and sunny day as I also plan to replace the rocker arm cover (also known as the valve cover) gasket.

I do believe the thermostat is the issue and when it pops the Check Engine Light I just use my code reader to clear the code and that lasts for a good while. It is annoying.

Curiously while I asked specifically about "wondering should I use any kind of gasket sealer on the gasket and if so what is best or should I just put it on dry or something else..." nobody seems to be able to read and comprehend the question as you can see/read.

So I bought from Amazon Permatex 22071 Water Pump and Thermostat RTV Silicone Gasket, read the instructions and my plan is to follow the instructions on the package. I think I will apply a small bead around both sides of the gasket surrounding the bolt holes, assemble things finger tight, wait one hour and then tighten to specifications.

RTV means Room Temperature Vulcanization so the one hour wait is to get the product time to cure and vulcanize.

I bought two thermostat gaskets from Amazon just in case something goes wrong I can start over again:

Amazon.com

Note that the thermostat must be installed in the proper orientation. You might check the installed one before pulling it out paying attention to the orientation.

The thermostat has (should have) a little loose bleeder valve in the flange that needs to be in the 12 o'clock highest position when installing to make it easier to bleed the air from the system after refilling the system.

Last edited by joseibarra; 02-17-2021 at 12:04 AM.

Tags
altima, code, p1126