Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2013 Altima 2.5 won't start hot/after driving for a while Forums > > 2013 Altima 2.5 won't start hot/after driving for a while 2013 Altima 2.5 won't start hot/after driving for a while
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 10-21-2019, 05:01 PM
2013 Altima Sedan

Default 2013 Altima 2.5 won't start hot/after driving for a while

I have a 2.5 L Altima with a 102~k driving that it recently began to not want to start after you've driven it for a while. You can drive it long times and not stop and it will run. But if you stop, it will not start again. It will crank but will not start. When this happens, the quick solution is to wait until it cools down, about 1 hr, and then it will start again.
So... I took it a Nissan dealer for a diagnosis, and $350 later they diagnosed the fuel injectors, they were sure that was the issue. In their diagnosis, they did test fuel pressure, fuel pump, and other electrical possible components of which all tested okay. So, ordered new ones and I replaced the injectors. Although I was hesitant to do that because it didn't seem like injectors would cause it to not start at all, I followed their lead and obviously - it did not solve the problem.
Then, following another recommendation/suggestion I replaced both cam positioning sensors at the top of the head/valve cover on the R side. This also did not solve the problem.
I have looked for these 2013 Nissan postings about problems similar to this, but for some reason these 2013 2.5 L Nissan's don't have a lot of posts.
I don't mind working on this, however this problem is one of those that does not identical posts. there are a lot of them where the post say that it won't crank, it won't start at all although it cranks, and so on. But this one specifically that is apparently temperature related is not very common.

So here I am, hoping that in one of these forums somebody will have also experienced this and solved this particular problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and taking into consideration the parts that have been replaced so far, and the Nissan diagnosis (for what it's worth) I'm hoping that there may be another known component that maybe the culprit.

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2019, 07:39 AM
Enthusiast
2011 Altima Sedan
2011 Altima 2.5s

Nissan has issued 175 technical service bulletins (TSB) for the 2013 Altima. There is probably something in one of them that will solve your problem, or at least point you in the right direction. good luck

Last edited by jcg0324; 10-25-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:06 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

If I took a car to a dealer and paid $350 for diagnostics that was wrong, I'd be having a discussion with someone at the dealer to correctly diagnose the car without further charges! I would also report it to Nissan's customer line at 1-800-NISSAN-1. I'm a former Nissan master tech and I've never heard or nor seen all of the injectors fail at once and cause a no start, so obviously whoever was working on your car doesn't know what they are doing. You mentioned replacing the two cam sensors at the top of the engine, but has the crank position sensor on the back side of the engine be replaced? That actually could cause a crank/no start condition and they don't always trigger a code. They also tend to fail when they get hot and start working when they cool down, which is in line with your symptoms. When replacing cam and crank pos sensors, stick with genuine Nissan or OE brands, like Hitachi, NTK or Denso. You can get an NTK #EH0010 crank sensor for $46 at Rockauto which is half the price of the Nissan Sensor. It's a pain in the tail to replace due to its location, but that's what I would replace.

Tags
altima, driving, hot/after, start