Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
08 Rear Brake Clearance Issue Forums > > 08 Rear Brake Clearance Issue 08 Rear Brake Clearance Issue
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 10-21-2019, 11:44 AM
2008 Altima Sedan

Default 08 Rear Brake Clearance Issue

Hey, all. In the process of changing the rear brakes on an '08 Altima, I discovered the rotors had to be replaced. Whilst getting the tires off, one of the studs was destroyed. I've picked up new rotors and a new stud. The new rotors were easy enough, though I switched from the drilled performance rotors to a standard set of Bosch ones. I had unfortunately run into a few problems on the others:
  1. New Stud - I had put the new rotor on, engaged the emergency brake, and used the washer pull-through method, to draw it into place. I have it most of the way in, but there's a slight gap still, between the flared end of the stud and where it should be. The emergency brake doesn't get me enough friction to draw it further. Is this close enough, does it indicate that the emergency brakes need to be replaced, or is there just something I'm missing?
  2. New pads - After inserting the pads into place, I no longer have sufficient clearance to reassemble the brakes. I see that the caliper is a separate unit from the bracket, but I've already pushed the piston into place, yet I still can't seem to generate the necessary gap, sliding the caliper portion along the pistons. It meets resistance and returns to the original position. What am I missing?
Old 10-21-2019, 11:47 AM
2008 Altima Sedan

Odd. I tried posting pictures in support of this. Trying again.

brakes — imgbb.com

studs-straight-on — imgbb.com

studs-front — imgbb.com

brakes — imgbb.com

studs-straight-on — imgbb.com

http://ibb.co/wRWKN3k
Old 10-21-2019, 06:23 PM
2008 Altima Sedan

So, apparently a damaged rubber boot led to a rusted pin on one side of the caliper. That caused corrosion, thus preventing one side of caliper from sliding up and down the pin. Some PB Blaster, a pair of vice grips, and a 3-lbs. sledge took care of that. That does still leave me with the question about the stud. I'd appreciate some shared wisdom on that one.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:39 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

If you are trying to do draw it through by turning a wrench by hand, it's going to be tough. I always use a 1/2" impact wrench to draw them through.

Tags
brake, clearance, issue, rear