Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Sudden Engine Noise Forums > > Sudden Engine Noise Sudden Engine Noise
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 10-01-2019, 11:38 AM
2002 Altima Sedan
2002 Altima 3.5 SE

Default Sudden Engine Noise

About 7 months ago I had a P030x code, which is a cylinder misfire and which turned out to be a bad ignition coil. I went ahead and brought a replacement set of 6 from Amazon. Had my mechanic replace them all + a leaking valve cover and everything was holding up reasonably well until last Saturday when I started getting the same symptoms I had with original misfire code. I managed to limp home from where I was, about 1.5 miles and got the OBDII code reader out.

The code reader showed a P0302 code, which is a cylinder 2 misfire. I figured one of the cheap Chinese coils had gone bad. So ordered another set of different cheap Chinese coils, which arrived Monday. Swapped out the cylinder 2 coil and started the car up. It ran a lot better than it had Saturday but was now making some ugly noise I have not heard before.

I then turned the car off, cleared the OBDII code and did another scan. Again, I get the P0302 code! Huh? Could I have the bad luck to get another bad ignition coil in a new batch of 6 coils? I could change another coil out but unsure if whatever is going on in the engine is damaging them.

To me, it sounds like valve tapping but for sure it isn't normal. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what is happening and maybe suggest some actions for me to do?

Here is a link to the video/sound:
YouTube

Last edited by jojonh01; 10-01-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:32 PM
2002 Altima Sedan
2002 Altima 3.5 SE

36 views and no one has a clue as to what this problem is? Sheeze. Edit update - 3 Oct 2019 The sound is from a screw rattling around in the combustion chamber of cylinder #2! I had the abysmal bad luck to have a screw come loose from the butterfly flap in the intake manifold, which has destroyed the cylinder. At least $3k to repair the engine. $1500 of that is due to the whole engine has to come out the bottom of the car, which takes 12 hours out and in. Thanks Nissan!

Tags
engine, noise, sudden