Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
screwed by bad mechanic Forums > > screwed by bad mechanic screwed by bad mechanic
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 06-26-2007, 01:17 AM
markv

Default screwed by bad mechanic

Nearly 2 years ago i took my great running Altima to a garage to have a oil change and a sputter fixed. Later i was tols by the shop that my car was "dead" and i need to come and get it.
My brother in law is a mechanic (not in the same town) so i had him and his friends (ASE certified mechnics) have a look at it in thier leisure. Last month they found the problem, an inexperinced or stupid person dropped a nut into the oil reservoir where it got cought between the cam and rest of the engine.
They have since found a replacement cam and put it in. All necessary test where completed but the new cam broke in the same place (near the timing chain).
I love mz Nissan, i have taken it from coast to coast and it has never failed me (unless a mechanic F&/ked it up)
My question is:
does anyone have any experince with this kind of thing and know hów to fix?
Where can i get a aftermarket cam that is not made of cast iron but us steal?
Old 06-26-2007, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

If the cam broke in the same place I think is more than just the cam. Who is paying for the repairs? How long did the screw was in the engine? You should consider buying a used engine, instead of trying to fix it.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:37 AM
markv

Default not what i wanted to hear

For now i am paying for the repairs. However, i am considering contacting a lawyer, BBB and or the States Attorney on this matter. because i do have photos and at least 3 expert (mechanic) witnesses that will give my case strength.
I have thought i would have to get a new engine but the cost is not worth it. I think i may have to junk it.
Thank you for your input
Mark V
Old 06-27-2007, 02:16 PM
2015 Rogue

You can usually find a used engine for around $500.00. It is probably cheaper to go that route.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:37 PM
ariggs

The shop needs to be held liable. Period.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:47 PM
thefairlaneman

How could you prove when the nut was droped. Maybe changing the oil dislodged it when the new oil was poured in. I dont doubt that they indeed caused the problem but the burden of proof would be with you. I just did an engine swap and it wasnt that hard if you end up going that route.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:31 AM
markv

Default Responses

TO: mpe235, I would like to find a engine, however, I am hesitant going with a used one because of this current A>> Reaming that i have recieved and new ones cost about 2000 from what i have found.
To: ariggs, That is just what i am working on now.
To: thefairlaneman, correct about the burden o f proof, and i think i have that squarely on my side also with photos, bills and other physical evidence.
Thank you all for your comments.
Mark
Old 07-04-2007, 07:37 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by markv View Post
TO: mpe235, I would like to find a engine, however, I am hesitant going with a used one because of this current A>> Reaming that i have recieved and new ones cost about 2000 from what i have found.
To: ariggs, That is just what i am working on now.
To: thefairlaneman, correct about the burden o f proof, and i think i have that squarely on my side also with photos, bills and other physical evidence.
Thank you all for your comments.
Mark
Used engines for this model show from $250.00-$700.00
What type of repair did the shop do on the engine that makes you think they caused the problem? If the repairs were made 2 years ago I don't think you will be able to get them to pay for it.

Last edited by mpe235; 07-04-2007 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:40 AM
thefairlaneman

If you deside to pull the engine and replace it I will be happy to answer any questions you may run into, I just pulled and installed a 2.4 for the first time.......shezam

Tags
bad, mechanic, screwed