Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Rear Strut Mount Stripped - Repair Advice needed Forums > > Rear Strut Mount Stripped - Repair Advice needed Rear Strut Mount Stripped - Repair Advice needed
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 06-16-2019, 06:54 AM
2007 Altima Sedan

Default Rear Strut Mount Stripped - Repair Advice needed

While installing new rear struts on my 2007 Altima I noticed that one of the mount fasteners was stripped out. I tried to install a helicoil kit but noticed that the hole had already been drilled out to a larger size. I suspect that the mechanic I had do the work last time had installed a coil and I must have pulled it out while taking out the old struts. I tried to just add another coil in there and thread into it but that quickly popped out. I've been considering just tapping the hole for a larger bolt but I'm afraid I'll just be making the problem worse. There also isn't a lot of room in there for threads.

Right now I'm considering fishing a fastener through the hole down from the top and JBWelding it in place so that I can secure the strut with a bolt similar to the other side. Any thoughts?

P.S. Is this the way it came from the factory, with a threaded post on one side and a fastener on the other. You can see in the picture it looks like someone took a grinder or sander up there at one point.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Rear Strut Mount Stripped - Repair Advice needed-20190615_163620-jpg  
Old 06-16-2019, 05:02 PM
2007 Altima Sedan

As I got in there, I realized that the wheel well was too contoured to achieve good contact between the fastener and fender washer I used to distribute the load. I attempted to glob on the JB weld to fill in the gaps but it wasn't really working. Once I realized what I was working with I used PC-Metal epoxy (link below). This is like a putty that I was able to roll into a playdoe like snake and line the surface and edge of the washer. It also held it shape which made it a lot easier to apply successfully in that small space. It also didn't get onto the threads which was definitely an issue with the JB weld. Ultimately I'm very happy with the results. I got the strut back on and I think it's A LOT more secure than it was before.

PC-Metal™ – Protective Coating Company

Tags
mount, rear, repair, stripped, strut