Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Oil inside cylinders 1&2 Forums > > Oil inside cylinders 1&2 Oil inside cylinders 1&2
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 05-26-2018, 03:17 PM
2005 Altima Sedan

Default Oil inside cylinders 1&2

Hello

Bit of a long story, so I'll get right into it. My brother bought a used 2005 Nissan Altima about a month back. Did an oil change on it right away as the car needs a bit of TLC. Drained it, put a new filter on, and filled it with the recommended 4 1/2 quarts of Pennzoil 5W-30 synthetic. He's been driving it for 3 weeks, couple days ago he tells me the oil pressure light is on and that then engine sounds funny. I pop the hood and check the dipstick, and its bone dry, not a speck of oil on it. So obviously thats a pretty big amount of oil to lose in 3 weeks.

Given the age of the car, I put some fluorescent oil dye in the oil when I did the change, just in case theres any leaks, so I could easily detect them. So waited until dark, then went out with a UV light and combed over every inch of the engine, top and bottom, and couldn't find a leak.

I checked the coolant next, fearing a head gasket leak, but the coolant is still nice and green without any trace of oil.

So today I decided to test the compression to see if the piston rings are shot, and in doing so found where all the oil is going.

Firstly, when I removed coils 1&2, the coils were dripping with oil, so right there the spark tube seals are gone. When I removed the plugs from 1&2, the plugs were also dripping with oil all the way up the threads. The biggest issue though, is that when I peered down the spark tubes, I can see that theres a lot of oil inside the pistons, at the very least enough to completely hide the tops of the pistons from view.

I'm hoping, perhaps foolishly, that this is all just the valve cover gasket gone bad, but I know theres many issues that could be the cause here, so I'm hoping someone on here can advise on what and where else to look at to determine the cause.

Thanks in advance.

P.S In case its relevant, I did the compression test anyways, got 175 PSI on cyl 1, and 170 PSI on 2,3&4.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:35 PM
Enthusiast
2011 Versa
2017 Altima SE-R

If you yank a plug that is surrounded by oil OUTSIDE the engine then of course all of that instantly runs into the hole when plug comes out to look like it was in the engine before. The bigger danger is how much dirt and rock the flood took inside the engine to damage it.

Your compression numbers are fine.

Valve cover gasket & plug tubes if any need gasket(s) and possible eating oil at the valveseals too.

Tags
1&2, 1and2, cylinders, inside, oil