Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2002 Altima 2.5 cranks, no spark no start Forums > > 2002 Altima 2.5 cranks, no spark no start 2002 Altima 2.5 cranks, no spark no start
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 04-05-2018, 06:09 PM
2002 Altima Sedan

Default 2002 Altima 2.5 cranks, no spark no start

I'm pretty new to forum posts and searches, sorry in advance! I have a p0340 code for the camshaft position sensor, which I replaced, and the code didn't clear, nor did the car start. The car just cranks. The car has been out of commission for about 2 weeks now because of time constraints, but I have since replaced the battery, the starter, both the crankshaft position sensor considering all the research I have done so far has pointed to that and the camshaft position sensor, I figured why not. Today I tested to see if I had spark, which I tested cylinders 1,2 and 3 all had no spark and guessed the 4th wouldn't have spark. (The last owner cross-threaded the plug in cylinder 1, and me being in a bind recross threaded a new one in, and this was about 2 years ago, car ran decently fine without issues.). I took the number 1 plug out and the thread had broke about 3/4 of the way up to the hex on the plug. I don't think this has anything to do with the car not starting though, could be wrong I'm a noob. All fuses so far look good. What could I be missing? I'm sure I'll get some backlash from my post, haha. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by zachf89; 04-05-2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:51 PM
2002 Altima Sedan

Whoa... not all at once guys, haha.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:09 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

1. When cranking, take notice of security light if it goes off or just solid red. It should be off.
2. If CEL is lit scan computer for trouble code(s).
Old 04-07-2018, 10:21 PM
2002 Altima Sedan

So far, that has been the only code I had, and I'm very new to code readers, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to get one, even though my Nova cant use it haha. I did bite the bullet and went ahead and ordered another camshaft position sensor, but this time it'll be hitachi instead of an aftermarket from o'reilly's. I'll have to check the security light as well, since I haven't checked that out yet. Speaking of that, in the event that it does stay lit while cranking, what would be my next move? I appreciate the reply, as well as any other input someone else might have. I'm avoiding taking it to a mechanic and especially the dealership, maybe I'm just stubborn haha.

Last edited by zachf89; 04-07-2018 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:49 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

I also use after market parts from InterMotors and others but critical components like camshaft, crankshaft, O2 sensors etc., I only use OEM and that's what I did. If your only code is P0340 then focus on that. Even new camshaft aftermarket or OEM can be DOA, or a circuit issue. It needs to be tested. Also for auto parts store like Oreilly, Auto Zone, etc., always ask what the return policy is. Some will tell you if you install it whether it works or not you cannot return it, so you can ask them to test it. If security light is solid red when cranking it will trigger a code. If camshaft sensor is good and crank no start persist, it means the problem is somewhere not monitored by ECM like ecm relay, ignition relay, fuel pump or relay, etc.
Old 04-08-2018, 03:59 PM
2002 Altima Sedan

I think I forgot to mention that I did test the fuel pump with a helper turning the ignition to on, and I got fuel from the line, and tried to rule it all out with starter fluid which didn't help either. The car does seem to have compression as well, but I'm about to check the codes again (not that I think they just magically appeared), but I'll also check the security light. On a side note, since I don't have much help, I did order another handheld starter switch, because the old one only allowed for the starter to spin and not engage, I don't think I hooked it up incorrectly, because I did have it hooked to the S terminal of the starter solenoid and the positive if I remember correctly. Not sure if it was just a bad starter switch or maybe user error haha. I do appreciate your input very much btw. *Update* Battery (new) ended up dying, probably from cranking haha. Ordered a battery charger since the 73 nova doesn't have a great battery either, but it should be rechargeable as well, just good to have. I didn't notice the solid red light while cranking though, so I don't believe it has anything to do with a security system lockout, but then again... I was pretty focused on the sound of my battery draining haha. I somehow erased the p0340 code, which wasn't possible before I tried today, not sure what happened. I'll return later this week after this commercial break.

Last edited by zachf89; 04-09-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:20 PM
2005 Altima Sedan

Hey, I know your post is over a year old but I’m wondering if you ever figured out your no spark/no start issue?

And if so, what was it? I’m having the same issues you did.

Thank you.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:41 PM
2005 Altima Sedan

Hey, I know your post is over a year old but I’m wondering if you ever figured out your no spark/no start issue?

And if so, what was it? I’m having the same issues you did.

Thank you.

Tags
2002, altima, cranks, no spark, no start., spark, start