Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
05 Altima speedo reads high Forums > > 05 Altima speedo reads high 05 Altima speedo reads high
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 10-09-2017, 09:01 AM
2005 Altima Sedan

Default 05 Altima speedo reads high

I've only had this car for a little over over a year, but lately I've noticed that the speedo seems to read high! I spoke with a speedo shop tech. He hadn't heard of this happening with this make/model. He suggested that I try a speedo app to verify. And yes, it shows when I'm going 75 on the speedometer, the app says I'm actually doing 71- 4 MPH difference! and when I'm doing 40, the app shows I'm actually doing 38. NISSAN sent me a survey, asking about my satisfaction with them- really!! My guess is this is the extent of what they will be doing about this. I'll just have to live with it. I went to my local Nissan dealer. A replacement speedometer sensor assembly (attached to the transmission) is $200.00- another reason to just live with it. Has anyone else noticed this problem?
Old 10-09-2017, 09:16 AM
2006 Altima SE-R
2008 Altima Coupe

Does the car have the original tire size on it? If it doesn't, this may affect the speed indicated.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:44 PM
2005 Altima Sedan

Default speedometer reads high

first thing I checked, the tire size. they are stock size tires & wheels according to the owners manual. I double checked it on websites too. I'm not sure if it was this way when I got the car July last year, it's just that I'm zipping down the freeway at 80 and I'm just keeping up instead of blowing by all the other cars. this also means I'm putting more tics on the odometer then there should be I only have 110,300 on it but that's probably higher than it should be.
I'm not real happy with the highway gas mileage either. I feel the CVT in this 4 cylinder 2.5 L is geared wrong and revs too high to get decent gas mileage, but this is another thread. thanks for the reply...
Old 10-11-2017, 07:09 AM
2006 Altima SE-R
2008 Altima Coupe

Good luck with it. Yes, I agree with the CVT rpm comment. I feel the same way. I read several other folks having the same issue with higher indicated speed. One person had the speed sensor in the transmission changed out and it didn't make a difference. When he took it back, they told him they had used the wrong part and once they replaced it again it started working fine again. Apparently, this is a common issue that sometimes comes up after a few years from wear and tear, but the dealer sometimes doesn't replace it with the correct part, because there are a couple of versions of it.

Tags
altima, high, reads, speedo