Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2000 Altima Timing Chain Issues Forums > > 2000 Altima Timing Chain Issues 2000 Altima Timing Chain Issues
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 07-08-2017, 09:32 AM
2000 Altima Sedan

Default 2000 Altima Timing Chain Issues

Hello everyone first time poster here.

I've searched this site and all over the internet and can't find an answer to my problem, hopefully someone else has...

2000 Altima with 198k blew out the lower tensioner on my way home from work one evening. Got it home, car ran fine just a lot of noise from the chain slapping the cover. I could still start it and it would run fine.

Tore it apart, new chain, tensionsers, guides, & sprockets. Water pump too while I was in there. Buttoned it all back up, would crank but no start. Plugs were oily.

Replaced wires, plugs, crank sensor, and distributor in that order. After the distributor I could get almost a puff of exhaust but that was it. Plugs had a lot of soot on them so I figure timing must be off. Compression test before second tear down yields: Cylinder 1 (190psi), Cylinder 2 (180), Cylinder 3 (180), Cylinder 4 (180).

Tore it back down, all the timing marks still line up and I'm at a loss.
I still have it all open so if pictures might help please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

-Dan
Old 07-08-2017, 10:38 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

If you didn't follow the removal procedures per service manual chances are the installation would be faulty. My question is did you set # 1 cylinder in TDC. If you did and when you remove the valve cover you will see the orientation of the cam lobes. Also the old timing chain usually is color coded or has some marking. You can download the Engine Mechanical manual for your vehicle. The procedures is under Timing Chain removal. You can download the manual for free on this site. Manuals are in Knowledgebase section at the top menu tab.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:30 AM
2000 Altima Sedan

Hi Bennyb,

Thank you for replying.

Yes I did set to TDC on #1 before replacement, I did have to adjust the cams a bit to get the new chain to line up. I took a couple pictures of what the current setup is at TDC:

Upper chain
http://ibb.co/gL5KaF

Cams
http://ibb.co/dPKUaF

The marks on the upper chain are shifted but the links between each mark is correct.

Do you think it would be possible to generate those compression numbers if my valves were bent?
Old 07-09-2017, 02:35 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan22 View Post
Hi Bennyb,

Yes I did set to TDC on #1 before replacement, I did have to adjust the cams a bit to get the new chain to line up.

The marks on the upper chain are shifted but the links between each mark is correct.
Your compression is good so valves and pistions are good. First double check the crank sensor installation, harness connector is not loose. If you did not have a code for crank sensor, re-install the old one and see if engine start. Also you replaced distributor. Did you set #1 cylinder to DTC and mark somewhere where rotor is facing. This is critical cuz when you re-install the rotor it points to #1 cylinder and you install the plug wires according to firing order.

Last edited by bennyb53; 07-09-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:09 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Altima
2005 Altima

Is it possible that you got the timing at TDC but on the exhaust stroke rather than the firing stroke?

Tags
2000, altima, chain, issues, timing