Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2005 altima rodents in a/c system Forums > > 2005 altima rodents in a/c system 2005 altima rodents in a/c system
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 05-27-2021, 10:50 AM

2005 altima

Default 2005 altima rodents in a/c system

Rats are getting into my 2005 Nissan Altima's air conditioning system. When I remove the air cabin filter there are rat droppings on top of it. Somehow they're getting into it, but I can't figure out how or where. Is there a diagram of the air filtration system and the pathways the air follows? Does the outside air come in via the vent holes between the hood and the windshield or is it coming in from somewhere else? If I can find where the air comes in perhaps I can put a screen or something there.

I've noticed when looking under the hood they've chewed into the insulation in front of the firewall. is that a potential way into the ducts or is it just solid metal behind the insulation?
Old 11-05-2021, 01:21 PM
2005 Altima

I also have an '05 with the same problem. First noticed it two years ago. Same idea as you, found diagrams of the ducts in service manual but they didn't really help. I remembered seeing a hole in the cowl when I removed the screen to tighten the wiper linkage bolts, so I cut a piece of screen to cover it. Well, a year later more evidence of mice building a nest. I put a screen on top of the cabin filter before they chew thru that and get farther into the car, but I'm not happy.
If I find that entry point, I'll post it. Please do the same.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:50 PM
Enthusiast
2009 Pathfinder

My uncle recently been dealing with rodents nest on his car. We were take it to the shop last month for tire mounting and balancing and we're surprised to see a nest in the a/c. He tried this rodent repellent and it seems to work.
Old 12-29-2021, 05:47 AM
2005 Altima

There is a Nissan service bulletin NTB04-135 HVAC INTAKE SCREEN AVAILABLE which seems to address the problem. I like the way they consider mice to be "foreign material"
Too cold to do anything now but next spring I'll see if I can make a screen as the OE part is discontinued.
I still don't like the idea of installing a screen from the inside. Are they still getting part way into the car? Wish I could see the opening from the outside. If they make a nest on top of that screen, how the hell would I clean it?
For now I put some peppermint extract on the filter to hopefully drive them away.

Tags
a/c, altima, rodents, system