Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2003 2.5s intermittant power loss Forums > > 2003 2.5s intermittant power loss 2003 2.5s intermittant power loss
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 06-09-2016, 12:28 PM
2003 Altima
2003 Altima 2.5S

Default 2003 2.5s intermittant power loss

2003 altima 2.5s with 153k.

both cam and crank sensors were replaced about 3 years ago when I had the no start on a warm engine. It hasent done the no start since.

About 3 months ago I would get a intermittent "bucking" when engine hot at a stop light. Sometimes the SES tight would come on and when I checked the obe I had a P0335, crank sensor. I noticed after it would miss or buck just for a split second, I had a decrease of power and the rpm where it shifted was higher. Going up a 15% grade I had it floored and barely kept mph.

I just replaced both sensors again and it ran fine for a couple of days but got a miss at a stop light and the power decrease came back.

Heres the weird part, if it sits and cool down it goes back to running fine.

Its like when it gets hot and something throws the timing off until the engine is turned off but not every time.

Anybody have any suggestions on what to check for?

Thanks for any responses.

Joe
Old 06-09-2016, 08:05 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Inspect your ignition coil.Remove the 10mm mounting bolts and pull the coil straight out. Inspect the coil boot and spring inside the boot. Inspect all four coils. If no visible damage, do spark test on all coils.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:21 PM
2003 Altima
2003 Altima 2.5S

Thanks Benny for the response. I forgot to add in my original post that I had oil in 1 and 3 plug sleeves. Replaced the valve cover and replaced all four coils about 2 years ago.

Havent got any P0300 through P0304 codes

This afternoon it was running fine and I got a bucking for a split second when it was warmed up and after that it had a loss of power. SES light poped up with a P0335.

After sitting 3 hours it ran fine all the way home, 15 miles.

I will pull the coils and inspect them and check for oil in the plug sleeves tomorrow.

What should I be looking for on the coils.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Joe
Old 07-11-2016, 07:59 AM
2003 Altima
2003 Altima 2.5S

I pulled all the coils off and there is no cracking or indication of arching.

This is a list of repairs lately:

Both cam and crank sensors replaced in last 3 mo.
All 4 coils replaced last fall in October.
Rocker cover replaced and plugs replaced because of leak around plugs last winter. I checked them when removing coils and are dry.

In the morning it runs fine until I get to regular temp. Then it may feel that someone changes the timing and it runs with decreased power or pickup. Not every time though. Sometimes I will get a P0335 but not everytime. If I stop for a little while, say 1/2 hr, I can start it and it will still be warm but will run normal.

Since replacing the plugs, rocker cover and coils I haven't got a P0301,02,03, or 04 code.

In your previous post if the coils look good I should run a spark test. Do I need anything special?

I think I am getting spark but not at the correct time but I dont know much, thats why I'm here.

Could that crank sensor get warm and effect the timing?

Thanks for any assistance.

Joe Lucey

Last edited by JBL; 07-11-2016 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:03 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBL View Post

Since replacing the plugs, rocker cover and coils I haven't got a P0301,02,03, or 04 code.

In your previous post if the coils look good I should run a spark test. Do I need anything special? Joe Lucey
So the codes that caused the misfire are fixed. If you DIY, yes I would still do spark test on all the coils. You need the Spark Tester for under $15. Or test the circuit. Simply unplug the circuit harness from the coil and with a DMM, test tthe terminals for proper voltage.

I would just keep an eye for now. Be sure to change your engine oil at regular interval. the Intake Variable Timing Control operates with oi pressure. Yes the crankshaft and camshaft sensors feedback to ECM determines the signal sent to IVTC sensor. Refer to Engine Control manual on Page 139 for IVTC. Manuals are in Knowledgebase section at the top menu tab.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:46 AM
2003 Altima
2003 Altima 2.5S

Just had Nissan do a diagnostic. I have oil weeping through both the cam and crank sensor plugs. Looks like I got a couple of bad sensors this spring.

Would this be the problem?

They have a lifetime warranty so I can get then replaced

What do you guys think.

Thanks for the help.

Joe
Old 07-26-2016, 07:26 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Did you DIY installing both the cam and crankshaft sensors? It means it is not properly installed - meaning the it is not seated well. So remove and clean and re-install making sure the rubber gasket is seated well.

When removing the crankshaft sensor, do not disconnect the harness. Just remove the 10mm mounting bolt and pull the sensor up slowly. This way there's no chance of you dropping the sensor and possibly causing damage.

Tags
2.5s, 2003, 25s, intermittant, loss, power