Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
ECM problems 2000, Altima, GXE sedan Forums > > ECM problems 2000, Altima, GXE sedan ECM problems 2000, Altima, GXE sedan
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 05-13-2016, 08:07 PM
2000 Altima Sedan
2000 Altima

Default ECM problems 2000, Altima, GXE sedan

Hi everyone! I am a newbee to your forum. Recently I picked up a very nice 2000 Altima sedan. I noticed the following items not working: Interior lights, rear window defogger and power door locks. I have traced the problem to the entry control module. I bought a used part and will install it ASAP. My question is will the car start before I get the ECM flashed? I understand the ignition key is coded to only work with the original ECM?? If thats the case I would have to take the car to the dealership to install and program the ECM. Of course I would rather not take the car to the dealership if I can sort thing out myself. Any technical support or comments would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-14-2016, 02:24 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Questions;
1. The used part you mentioned, are you referring to the Smart Entrance Control Unit.
2. Does your vehicle have Theft Warning System.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:08 PM
2000 Altima Sedan
2000 Altima

Smile

Thanks for replying Benny! Yes to both questions!
Old 05-14-2016, 04:59 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

If you haven't done so, look at the circuit diagram in the Engine Control manual. Power is supplied to the Smart Entrance Control Unit thru the Rear Window Defogger Relay. So it's no coincidence your rear window defogger is also not working. Also coming out of that relay is a circuit to ECM terminal 55 but its for window defogger. So could be a relay issue so you need to test the relay.

The Power Door locks is more detailed in the electrical system manual on page 181. Manuals are in Knowledgebase section at the top menu tab
Old 05-14-2016, 06:15 PM
2000 Altima Sedan
2000 Altima

Thanks once again Benny for great information! I had a quick look at those relays the other day but didn't test them. I pulled every fuse both in the cabin and under the hood and they all were fine. I will pull the rear window defogger relay and have it checked out. Great idea!! Cheers!

Tags
2000, altima, ecm, gxe, problems, sedan