Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2005 Altima Camshaft position sensor replacement-cylinder vs plastic Forums > > 2005 Altima Camshaft position sensor replacement-cylinder vs plastic 2005 Altima Camshaft position sensor replacement-cylinder vs plastic
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 04-12-2016, 05:01 PM
2005 Altima Sedan

Default 2005 Altima Camshaft position sensor replacement-cylinder vs plastic

Service Engine Soon light is on. Engine code reads "PO340 Camshaft Position Sensor/Sensor A Circuit Bank 1 or single sensor." The defective sensor is the old type with a flat plastic body. The new, replacement sensor is the newer metal cylinder type. Can I replace just the camshaft sensor without replacing the crankshaft sensor at the back of the engine which is presumably the old plastic type? Not getting any codes on the crankshaft sensor. The latter is a major hassle to replace and I am am not eager to take on that task. I also have the option of buying the old plastic type replacement camshaft sensor. Do both camshaft and crankshaft sensors have to be the same type (i.e., both plastic or both cylindrical)?
Old 04-13-2016, 12:36 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

1. First, determine if you have outstanding Recall on your vehicle specially with regard to the Crankshaft Sensor issue.
2. If crankshaft recall was done, the crankshaft sensor had been replaced even though the old plastic type. You can replace just the camshaft sensor.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:05 AM
2005 Altima Sedan

Default camshaft sensor: plastic vs metal

Thanks for your reply. No sensor recall for this model year although there was a recall for an earlier year. I replaced the camshaft sensor with the newer metal type leaving the crankshaft sensor alone. Car starts & runs fine, contradicting the warning I received from a local Nissan dealer. Checked with a second dealer who contradicted the first one. Sometimes you have to trust your own common sense. Second opinions are always a good idea too. Yours was correct.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:49 AM
1978 Titan Crew Cab
2006 Maxima
1985 Loretta

Default 2005 Altima Camshaft position sensor replacement cylinder vs plastic

I have no clue abut the B6 I do know the CPS was used in the 92-93 GS then in 94 I beleive it was discontinued. My point is can you not use a newer ECU that does not need the CPS???

Tags
2005, altima, camshaft, plastic, position, replacement-cylinder, replacementcylinder, sensor