Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2005 Altima 2.5 P0335 & P0725 OBD II codes w/ EXTREME SPUTTERING! Forums > > 2005 Altima 2.5 P0335 & P0725 OBD II codes w/ EXTREME SPUTTERING! 2005 Altima 2.5 P0335 & P0725 OBD II codes w/ EXTREME SPUTTERING!
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 03-25-2016, 06:36 PM
2005 Altima Sedan
2005 Altima S 2.5

Default 2005 Altima 2.5 P0335 & P0725 OBD II codes w/ EXTREME SPUTTERING!

So I just bought a 2005 Altima 2.5 with 85000 miles on it in beautiful condition (or so I had assumed from test drive )from someone in Westminster, Ca 2 weeks ago. About 5 days ago I was on the way home from OC ( about 68 miles roundtrip ) when the car started to "chug" and "sputter" both during medium speeds (45-60mph) and at stop lights. When I finally made it home I let the car sit and cool off for a couple hours and then I plugged in an OBD II reader to it It threw 2 codes P0335 and P0725, which have to do with Crankshaft Positions and Engine Speed Sensors. From the last 2 days of research I've done, the problems seem somewhat common for both this year and trim. Only problem that I can't seem to understand is when Im going through forums and speaking to people online I literally have only seen one instance where someone associates the "Sputtering" problem with these two codes. Most of the time I'm reading that the biggest issue is the car stalls and dies or they are having a difficult time turning their car over. Can someone please help me to understand a little more specifically what I'm expieriencing here, something just isn't adding up and its getting worse to the point that once the car has been operating for 30 plus continuous minutes and gets to.a certain temperature I've got MINIMAL POWER with an emphasis on MINIMAL. Thanks guys.

Edit: Btw, there is no Check Engine Light coming on either, nor is ot difficult to turn over. Usually the first turn gets it started but on rare occasions twice but never more.

Last edited by 05altimaowner16; 03-25-2016 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

When the crankshaft position fails, you Altima could sputter, not just stall. The symptoms depends what was the condition of your Altima when the sensor failed, e.g. speed, temperature, throttle position. From what you describe, sounds like a normal crankshaft position sensor failure.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:26 PM
2005 Altima Sedan
2005 Altima S 2.5

So because I'm realistically unaware of what the condition was due to the fact that I.just bought the car, its fair to say the best place to start would be the two sensors ie: Cam sensor and Crankshaft sensor, reset codes have ECM reprogrammed at dealership and see how car acts from there?
Old 03-26-2016, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
Cam sensor and Crankshaft sensor, reset codes have ECM reprogrammed at dealership and see how car acts from there?
No need to reprogram the ECM, just replace the sensors.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:40 PM
2005 Altima Sedan
2005 Altima S 2.5

Thank you for the info, ill be taking car in on monday to get it checked out more thoroughly N to mAke sure thAt's all thAt's wrong with it. I'll update when I find out. Thanks again.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:41 PM
2005 Altima Sedan
2005 Altima S 2.5

Update: So theres a battle going on between me and my father. While Im believing we need to change at least the crankshaft position sensor and possibly the cam shaft sensor he disagrees. So he takes it to a local repair shop that autp zone recommended to us and when he gets there the dude tells him its a 'misfire' but that the codes that are coming up are a false reading. Which makes zero sense to me because I could see one code being a misread but 2 codes coming up and one supports the other being a misread doesnt check out to me. Oh and he suggested replacing the plugs and wires, so he did and literally 15 mins and a couple miles up the road the check engine light popped back on and car continued doing the same thing. Can this misread situation be plausible or likely in this case?

Tags
2005, altima, codes, extreme, obd, p0335, p0725, sputtering, w or